Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 01:02 PM

33 posts, read 53,265 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find out,in which areas/cities/townships/counties of California have the lowest/highest concentrations of scorpions&centipedes. If anyone who is currently living in California&has lived there for at least 3 years til present day with any experience(exterminators answers welcome,too)with either critter,could assist me in collecting this information,I'd me most thankful,as I could not find any answers via google,no matter how I typed in what I wanted to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:34 PM

448 posts, read 592,191 times
I don't have an answer but I was hiking in Texas a few days ago and saw a large colorful centipede. It was freaky looking.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:26 AM

33 posts, read 53,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I don't have an answer but I was hiking in Texas a few days ago and saw a large colorful centipede. It was freaky looking.
Thanks for the reply. And yes,those centipedes are extremely freaky looking,are'nt they? They are absolutely...

Old 05-24-2016, 08:18 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I know scorpions exist, mainly in the desert. But I have lived in Southern California my entire life and done tons of hiking and backpacking, rock climbing in Joshua Tree, etc., and have never seen a scorpion that wasn't in a cage.

There are common, tiny centipedes (about an inch long). They don't generally come in houses. There are some larger ones that hang out under rocks in wilderness areas. Don't go looking for them and they won't go looking for you.

Really, the possibility of encountering scorpions and centipedes is the least of your worries in California. We just don't have a lot of bugs. Spiders, yes, and some people spray for them but we don't because they don't bother us.

Last edited by saibot; 05-24-2016 at 08:36 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 09:16 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
I saw a small centipede recently in the desert. I'd be a whole lot more concerned about rattlesnakes, their everywhere and very dangerous.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:26 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Forget the scorpions and centipedes (which are found in forested areas).

We gots tarantulas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBRXY0Q2nZE

Old 05-24-2016, 09:46 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
In SoCal, I see tarantulas only once in a great while...and only in the foothills and wilderness areas.

Rattlesnakes, yeah, they are around. I'm curious about where the OP is thinking about living/visiting because if you're in one of the densely built up, urban areas you are not likely to see any of these creatures. Here in Rancho Santa Margarita we are up against the mountains and if you venture away from the streets and houses you may run into rattlesnakes and tarantulas.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:22 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
I found a small scorpion about 2" long in our house in Mariposa County (Gold Country - North/Central California). That's the only time I've ever seen one and I've lived in the Central Valley, Sierra Nevada, Bay Area, Central Coast and far north of the state for decades. I don't think you really need to worry about it other than in the desert down south. I've never actually seen a centipede other than those small "house" centipedes that are harmless. Most of California isn't particularly "buggy" compared to many regions of the country.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
My vote for least is Mammoth Lakes.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:07 PM

53 posts, read 72,211 times
My husband and I rented a house on a ranch out in the unincorporated area between Blackhawk and Dublin (off Tassajara Rd) about 10 years ago. We had two different scorpions in our house at that place. I flipped my sh*t because I was convinced that scorpions do NOT live in California. Apparently I was wrong. Our dog was also bitten by a rattlesnake there (he lived, thankfully). Gotta love nature!

At our last house here in East Contra Costa County in a somewhat rural area on just over an acre of sandy land, we had a bug on the kitchen floor that fascinated me. It was about an inch and a half long, dark brown (maybe grey-ish?) in color, and had a zillion little legs. I took a picture, but I'm not about to dig through a million photos to look for it right now. Is that a centipede? Millipede? Is there a difference? I made my husband take care of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California