Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,243 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting in these forums. I'm considering moving to California, around the San Francisco or San Jose area, but I've lived in Texas my entire life. This would basically be me starting over completely. I have no friends or family in California, but it seems to be very promising.

I'm a single guy in my early 20's who graduated college last year with a degree in Computer Science. I've been working in the defense industry as a software engineer, which is a great job, but I don't think that it's really where I belong. I've gotten some great experience but it's a strict and corporate environment. I'm very interested in startups and work on many startup related things outside of work. I'd love to meet more similar people, but in my city the startup scene isn't very active.

After college, I haven't made many friends because almost everyone at my current job is 40+. No offense to people in that age group, but I'd just like to meet more people around my age. From what I've seen the tech demographic is much younger there.

Also, I've had a hard time dating here. I'm not bad looking, but many girls here seem to be more interested in "country boys." That's literally the complete opposite of myself. I even get called a "yuppie" by some people here.

I love doing outdoorsy things like hiking and from what I've heard California is good for that as well.

I'm not too worried about the cost of living. I live with a roommate in an apartment now and would happily do it again. Plus I feel that I could get a decent salary based on my current experience.

What do you all think? Is California right for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 01:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Take a few weeks vacation and come out for a visit. You're the only person who can decide if California is right for you.

Make sure you have a job lined up and some money in the bank before making the move. Start ups have a strange way of going belly up and laying people off, so you'll want a safety net.

That said, nearly every city has start ups, including the cities in Texas. So, if it is just a matter of not liking your job, perhaps consider a broader range of locations in order to land in a job you like better.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2016, 01:43 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds001 View Post
I wouldn't move here without at least $50,000 in cash in the bank. $100,000 would be better. If you plan to buy a house, at least $250,000.

Even with sharing an apartment with a roommate, your housing costs are going to be over $2,000 a month.

Traffic is terrible. Lots of people from the Midwest and South had the same idea you have.

The tech demographic skews younger here, but they're mostly men.

Everything is expensive.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:08 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,886 times
You need to learn just how high housing costs are here. In the SF Bay Area, astronomical. If you want to just check it out for a few years, sure, cool, you can live with roommates and such.

If you are looking to relocate to a place where you will stay, learn how much earnings are needed for a middle class home, public schools, etc. You have to be of the caliber to take your career up several levels and be focused on money. So many people move here and then later say, "I feel like I need to make 200k to live like I did on 100k back in ____." Not an exaggeration.

I'd suggest LA or southern cal for slightly lower costs. I'd look at other tech hubs: Austin, Seattle, Boston, New York, Chicago, DC area....

I'd ask for advice from engineers about the kind of work you want to do, and where you can do it, and have the lifestyle you want.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:15 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I wouldn't move here without at least $50,000 in cash in the bank. $100,000 would be better. If you plan to buy a house, at least $250,000.

Even with sharing an apartment with a roommate, your housing costs are going to be over $2,000 a month.

Traffic is terrible. Lots of people from the Midwest and South had the same idea you have.

The tech demographic skews younger here, but they're mostly men.

Everything is expensive.
That is plain ridiculous. Do you realized what people who work in tech are paid in the Bay Area? $2000 is easy when you are making $70K plus a year. My daughter moved to Dublin with $5000 in the bank for a $70,000 year job and was fine. Her rent was $2300 for a one bedroom apt.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:08 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
I'm very interested in startups and work on many startup related things outside of work. I'd love to meet more similar people, but in my city the startup scene isn't very active.
If that's what you want to do, you couldn't have picked a better place (Silicon Valley).

Old 06-12-2016, 06:20 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
That is plain ridiculous. Do you realized what people who work in tech are paid in the Bay Area? $2000 is easy when you are making $70K plus a year. My daughter moved to Dublin with $5000 in the bank for a $70,000 year job and was fine. Her rent was $2300 for a one bedroom apt.
That's Dublin. Not Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Mountain View... Big big difference.

Get a map. Put a pushpin in Facebook. Another in Google. Figure out how far it is from Mountain View to Dublin. Oh, don't bother: It's 34 miles. Spoiler alert: It is a hellish commute.

I said "over $2,000". We have the highest electricity rates in the nation.

The OP expressed a desire to work for start-ups. That's likely to be low pay and options that may never be worth anything. The "I've got a business plan, they'll throw money at me" days are over. For now, anyway.

$70,000 a year before taxes = about $47,340 after taxes. She's paying $28,800 -- more than half her take-home pay -- of that on rent alone. Wow. I hope she likes peanut butter and jelly.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 06-12-2016 at 06:34 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 06:41 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
That's Dublin. Not Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Mountain View... Big big difference.

Get a map. Put a pushpin in Facebook. Another in Google. Figure out how far it is from Mountain View to Dublin. Oh, don't bother: It's 34 miles. Spoiler alert: It is a hellish commute.

I said "over $2,000". We have the highest electricity rates in the nation.

$70,000 a year before taxes = about $47,340 after taxes. She's paying $28,800 -- more than half her take-home pay -- of that on rent alone. Wow. I hope she likes peanut butter and jelly.
But her job is in San Ramon (easy drive on surface streets) and her partner makes about the same $$$.. But yes she does like peanut butter sandwiches. And Sushi!

See, real life is usually different than what internet naysayers want people to believe. If life is so impossible to afford in the Bay Area no one would live there. Yet people are moving there and doing just fine.

Point is: follow your dream and don't let naysayers tell you how to live your life.

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-12-2016 at 06:53 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 07:06 PM

478 posts, read 691,111 times
that $70K a year and paying $2300 for a 1 bedroom might be fine for some, but not for many. On paper ,yes $70K is a good salary. But that rent, fluffythewondercat summed it up right.

$47,340 after taxes as he mentioned and nearly $29K in rent alone. add in utilities, any other loans and expenses. That is crazy. I guess thats fine if people want to live like that forever, but how can you save? It seems like that seems ok for people moving into the bay area and they accepted they will NEVER be able to save to ever buy a home of their own. Unless of course huge help from parents. It seems fine and dandy in your mid 20s to mid 30s, then next thing you know you are in your 40s, with still no saving and not even close to being able to afford a decent home. Some realize it too late and they are well into their 40s close to 50s basically starting over. I know I don't speak for everybody and there truly is a lot of people in the bay who love that lifestyle, being in the hip happening crowd, proudly saying they got the nice 1 bed room/studio 500 sq apt. But for those looking to start a family, and want an actual house with lot and yards, it's very difficult.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:07 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting in these forums. I'm considering moving to California, around the San Francisco or San Jose area, but I've lived in Texas my entire life. This would basically be me starting over completely. I have no friends or family in California, but it seems to be very promising.

I'm a single guy in my early 20's who graduated college last year with a degree in Computer Science. I've been working in the defense industry as a software engineer, which is a great job, but I don't think that it's really where I belong. I've gotten some great experience but it's a strict and corporate environment. I'm very interested in startups and work on many startup related things outside of work. I'd love to meet more similar people, but in my city the startup scene isn't very active.

After college, I haven't made many friends because almost everyone at my current job is 40+. No offense to people in that age group, but I'd just like to meet more people around my age. From what I've seen the tech demographic is much younger there.

Also, I've had a hard time dating here. I'm not bad looking, but many girls here seem to be more interested in "country boys." That's literally the complete opposite of myself. I even get called a "yuppie" by some people here.

I love doing outdoorsy things like hiking and from what I've heard California is good for that as well.

I'm not too worried about the cost of living. I live with a roommate in an apartment now and would happily do it again. Plus I feel that I could get a decent salary based on my current experience.

Visit, apply for jobs and move when you have one that pays enough. The likely hood of just moving to the are and getting a job is not realistic as you are simply one of many who hope to do the same thing.

If it works out enjoy it, but don't expect to be able to move and then have a job right away that pays enough.

As to friends it depends moron you than the people already here. Lots of people, you should be able to find some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California