Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 10:04 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,425,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Yup, and it's funny to hear people like tulemutt/2sleepy/neutrino, people who obviously haven't run a business under California's regulatory and tax environment (actually Tulemutt has flat out stated he wants MORE private enterprise to leave the state), prattle on and on about how great the California economy really is. Really? It's great for the 14% of people who have quit looking for work according to the BLS U6 measure?
Seems a lot of the people with this mentality are wealthy , retired and comfortable or not looking to start a business or get a job .
Now the state is desperate to get affordable housing built and going to get do away with regulations and environmental studies .
It's an " easy fix " for them because it's just signing a new law and having developers go wild

The problem with minimum wage law though is that it doesn't just affect fast food places , but also other types of business that have minimum wage workers and many other higher paid workers .
I just think it's crazy that soon it will be illegal to pay someone $14.99 cents an hour in CA .thats over $31,000 . Plus when you throw benefits in its much higher . Lots of small businesses can't afford this .
Many will leave the state no doubt.
When you do the math the numbers don't work , especially across the whole state of CA or nation . I know there is even talk of making a $15 wage across the country!

Even the businesses that are wanting to really pay their employees well think this law is bad .
Could happen if Hillary wins since that's what Bernie was campaigning for and now Hillary has adopted a lot of his policies to get his voters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 10:12 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,976,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Seems a lot of the people with this mentality are wealthy , retired and comfortable or not looking to start a business or get a job .
Now the state is desperate to get affordable housing built and going to get do away with regulations and environmental studies .
It's an " easy fix " for them because it's just signing a new law and having developers go wild

The problem with minimum wage law though is that it doesn't just affect fast food places , but also other types of business that have minimum wage workers and many other higher paid workers .
I just think it's crazy that soon it will be illegal to pay someone $14.99 cents an hour in CA .thats over $31,000 . Plus when you throw benefits in its much higher . Lots of small businesses can't afford this .
Many will leave the state no doubt
I don't think any of them are wealthy. [mod cut]

But your overall point is clear. People looking for work, and small business entrepreneurs face large obstacles in the Golden State. California regulatory cost will continue to drive private industry out of the city. Google and Intel have already moved tens of thousands of jobs to places like Oregon, and Texas to avoid having to deal with the money pit that California has become to private industry. The net employment numbers from 2008 (recession) to 2016 are self-explanatory IMO, to anyone who isn't a total imbecile and can do some basic math and analysis.

Last edited by volosong; 07-14-2016 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-13-2016, 10:18 AM

Yeah I think the politicians are just trying to cover up the numbers with selling style over substance .
We are the TECH CAPITAL!
We are the ENTERTAINMENT CAPITAL !
Look we standup for Gay and transgendered people !

California is like the sexy attractive celebrity that you find out has a very bad heroin addiction.
Looks sexy on the outside ... But is sick on the inside when you look deeper .

Old 07-13-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah I think the politicians are just trying to cover up the numbers with selling style over substance .
We are the TECH CAPITAL!
We are the ENTERTAINMENT CAPITAL !
Look we standup for Gay and transgendered people !

California is like the sexy attractive celebrity that you find out has a very bad heroin addiction.
Looks sexy on the outside ... But is sick on the inside when you look deeper .
Fun facts:

- California lost 1,510 total businesses from 2008-2014, to other states.

- California lost more corporate headquarters, engineering firms and support services/call centers than any other state in the country from 2008-2014.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:28 AM

The problem is when you tell people this , they say " well who needs those companies here anyways "
As if anyone can apply to be a senior software engineer and get a $100k+ straight out of high school .

This is the common line when you mention companies like Carl's Jr or Walmart have stated CA is a tough place to do business .

" who needs those McJobs!"
Yet when one of these companies is hiring thousands of Californians fill out applications to work for them !

Old 07-13-2016, 10:32 AM

I had a teacher once that would say , every action has a positive or negative reaction .
You could raise the minimum wage to $X amount per hour but there will be consequences

Lots of businesses have already said they plan to hire more skilled employees and give them more tasks if they have to pay $15 hr.

There are going to be a lot of stories about how the single mom can't get a fast food job because it's too competitive or they don't have the necessary skills this will result in more welfare given out .

Old 07-13-2016, 11:49 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,100,036 times
Quote:
I had a teacher once that would say , every action has a positive or negative reaction .
You could raise the minimum wage to $X amount per hour but there will be consequences

Lots of businesses have already said they plan to hire more skilled employees and give them more tasks if they have to pay $15 hr.

There are going to be a lot of stories about how the single mom can't get a fast food job because it's too competitive or they don't have the necessary skills this will result in more welfare given out .

Its just going to create inflation.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:14 PM

42,814 posts, read 26,185,889 times
Quote:
I'm not confused at all. I never said "additional" on top of the standard rate, I said it's an additional "supplemental" rate (i.e - taxed higher than normal income) which you obviously are not familiar with because you just found out about it now, because I posted about it.
well...this is what you said, but maybe you were "japing"

Quote:
You also failed to mention that California imposes an additional 10.23% supplemental rate on income considered stock "bonuses". On $10,000,000 of incentive based RSU, thats around $1,023,000.
The thing is I can't find anything that supports that claim, I already cited a source that 10.23% is the withholding rate, but as far as I can tell it is not a supplemental tax rate However, we can put this to rest if you would kindly post the California tax code section that supports your claim

Old 07-14-2016, 09:01 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,262,610 times
Quote:
Fun facts:

- California lost 1,510 total businesses from 2008-2014, to other states.

- California lost more corporate headquarters, engineering firms and support services/call centers than any other state in the country from 2008-2014.
Here are some other fun facts

- California has over 3.3 million businesses. 1,510 total lost in 7 years is a mere blip

and this (from California New Business Creation )

California has long been characterized as a state that is unfriendly to business ...(however) the report finds California near the top of many key state-by-state rankings

The report finds that in 2013 (the most recent data available), California ranked:
  • 4th in job creation stemming from new business creation, with a growth rate of 5.5 percent
  • 5th in creation of new businesses
  • 10th in highest entry rate of small businesses with one to four employees, with small firms representing 19.1 percent of new enterprises
  • 4th in total net job creation

I will add that in 2013, the job engine was mid stride, repeating this graph

Old 07-14-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
well...this is what you said, but maybe you were "japing"
It's hard to get across sarcasm on the internet, it's a limitation of the medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The thing is I can't find anything that supports that claim, I already cited a source that 10.23% is the withholding rate, but as far as I can tell it is not a supplemental tax rate However, we can put this to rest if you would kindly post the California tax code section that supports your claim
Whether it's a withholding rate or a supplemental wage tax, does it matter? You're stuck on whether an employee has to pay it when the stocks vest, or whether it's a withholding. Who cares? The net effect is that compared to Colorado, the compensation is taxed at more than double the rate which means less dollars for the employee-employer relationship, and MORE dollars to the state of California.

So again, explain why your point matters? I'm trying to understand your logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California