Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:13 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,177 times

Advertisements

This came to me as an alert from my Neighborhood Watch Captain. Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley Thomas is clearly behind this. There's a part of me that is suspicious of this. Ok, what are they going to do with the hundreds-thousands of Mentally Ill people who are homeless? Do you think they will be able to keep up an apartment? Take their medications? Perhaps some might but not all. We are NOT addressing the Mentally Ill situation in our state/county. Don't get me wrong - I do think this all needs to be addressed and the homeless situation has gotten out of control.

https://www.change.org/p/declare-hom...-in-california
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 11:08 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
This came to me as an alert from my Neighborhood Watch Captain. Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley Thomas is clearly behind this. There's a part of me that is suspicious of this. Ok, what are they going to do with the hundreds-thousands of Mentally Ill people who are homeless? Do you think they will be able to keep up an apartment? Take their medications? Perhaps some might but not all. We are NOT addressing the Mentally Ill situation in our state/county. Don't get me wrong - I do think this all needs to be addressed and the homeless situation has gotten out of control.

https://www.change.org/p/declare-hom...-in-california
I'm not 100% sure, but I think if the Governor declares a state of emergency they might get money from the state, but more importantly it temporarily eases some zoning and building requirements which makes it easier and quicker to erect shelters.

Why Governments Declare a Homeless State of Emergency

Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,017 times
Yeah we need to do more to address that homeless issue. Housing vouchers, maybe. Maybe they should all go through social workers so we can determine who has mental issues that need to be addressed.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Mark Ridley Thomas was a tax-and-spend or simply spend on unfunded mandates member when I worked with the Legislature back before the 2010s and clearly nothing has changed.

When it comes to CA politics there is nothing new under the sun unless it's just more of the same and more expensive for the taxpayers.

Don't get me wrong. It's wonderful to have high ideals and want to take care of the less fortunate but sadly, as with everything else of a political bent, it all comes down to, "Show me the money!"

Old 06-25-2016, 03:57 PM

Well, we need a Constitutional Convention in California. Our Constitution is like 100 pages long, one of the longest in the world. Half the budget MUST go to education. The other half is also mostly earmarked for certain things. So the Legislature can only negotiate like 10% of the budget. We need to change that.

This whole thing where we will have to choose between two democrats in November is ridiculous too. Open primaries make so sense. Why should Democrats get to vote against the Republican candidates in the primary?? Each party should have its own primary and its own candidate, so in the general election we get to choose between Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Green, etc., instead of two Democrats.

I'm a Democrat btw. But I'm a moderate one.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
An emergency...

so they can fund shelters.
so they can bypass due process and force shelters in areas above the objection of the residents, neighbors be damned.
so they can bypass environmental and other impact studies.
so they can bypass the Coastal Commission, where applicable, despite the fact that Governor Moonbeam is silent on the push towards getting members who are pro development (in contrast to what existed before).

Old 06-25-2016, 04:14 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Don't get me wrong. It's wonderful to have high ideals and want to take care of the less fortunate but sadly, as with everything else of a political bent, it all comes down to, "Show me the money!"
^^^He's right. There's no money to be made in taking care of the homeless. If there was, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:17 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
An emergency...

so they can bypass due process and force shelters in areas above the objection of the residents, neighbors be damned.
so they can bypass the Coastal Commission, where applicable, despite the fact that Governor Moonbeam is silent on the push towards getting members who are pro development (in contrast to what existed before).
Another issue is, shelters need to remain open and available. In San Diego, most only open in winter on the coldest nights.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
An emergency...

And where does the funding come from?

BY passing the others will create other undesirable problems for ... the people and State.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:36 PM

Meg Whitman would have done a much better job! I voted for her! She was the Republican running against Jerry Brown. She used to be the CEO of eBay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California