Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:57 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes, a minimum wage was and shouldn't be a living wage. It is a starter wage and if you don't learn enough and work hard enough, you will not get a Living wage.

People want more for less and will really never get it.
Right? No one who needs to survive on their own should ever be just "starting out" at any job.

Does this make any sense to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 12:37 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Back then men also served in the military... for some it was career and others a gateway to buying a home and getting an education... real skills could be learned such a mechanic, electronics, communication, pilot etc... I do know growing up that just about everyone used their earned benefits.

Thing is they still exist for those that choose... several of our nurses used service to earn their degree... in California, a corpsman can actually challenge the Nursing Board and become a RN...
Tuition was dirt cheap or free at public universities in California back then. The government actively promoted middle class policies like strong anti-trust legislation, strong unions and higher minimum wages. These days, people vote for puppets of the big money donor class who laugh at voters as they buy into the corporate propaganda and vote against their own best interests. The solution is to move towards public funding of elections so anyone can run for office without having to beg the rich and the powerful for money.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I would have thought just the opposite as back then Republicans had a solid lock on power... has not been this way in decades... California is as solidly Democratic in numbers as ever and it seems to only get worse.

Not only that, some of the most powerful people in Washington DC are California Democrats...

My point on housing and education is the same or better programs exist now for those that serve as they did back then... it is just far fewer earn these benefits today than in any other time in history.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:48 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I would have thought just the opposite as back then Republicans had a solid lock on power... has not been this way in decades... California is as solidly Democratic in numbers as ever and it seems to only get worse.

Not only that, some of the most powerful people in Washington DC are California Democrats...

My point on housing and education is the same or better programs exist now for those that serve as they did back then... it is just far fewer earn these benefits today than in any other time in history.
I am not talking about cannon fodder for the military hauling people off to Iraq or some other godforsaken place to fight for Dick Cheney and co.

I am talking about opportunities for regular folks today, at a time when the political system is hijacked by the donor class, compared to the 50s and 60s when Eisenhower proclaimed that those that didnt believe in the New Deal doesnt belong in a sane political discourse.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:54 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Or minimum wage is an Entry Level wage for those with no prior skills.

If someone learns the job, works hard, has a good attitude, and shows up for work every day I bet that person would get a raise and be paid more than minimum wage. If that person learns new skills, goes above and beyond their current job expectation, and becomes invaluable to a company, further promotions and raises will follow.
But they frequently don't get pay raises, or if they do they are minuscule. Large employers have set schedules for pay raises. You might be the best minimum wage employee in the world but if the pay scale allows for a 12 cent per hour wage increase after 6 months that is what you will get.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
I am not talking about cannon fodder for the military hauling people off to Iraq or some other godforsaken place to fight for Dick Cheney and co.

I am talking about opportunities for regular folks today, at a time when the political system is hijacked by the donor class, compared to the 50s and 60s when Eisenhower proclaimed that those that didnt believe in the New Deal doesnt belong in a sane political discourse.
You do realize that regular folks serve... I work with several newly minted RN's that earned the license through military service.

I don't want to over reach... but it is all too typical for people today to lament how bad things are and how good things were for those that came before without regard to the real sacrifices made to earn those benefits... it really does get old and makes my generation seem like spoiled brats.

Didn't Cheney retire more than a decade ago...

Anyway... anyone choosing military service would serve under President Obama...

Old 07-07-2016, 12:17 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Is minimum wage $15 now? Guys did that happen?
Nope, not yet.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Guys did that happen?
Highest is SF and Emeryville at $13 with SF scheduled for $15 July 1, 2018.

SeaTac Washington is presently at $15.24

Old 07-08-2016, 07:42 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But they frequently don't get pay raises, or if they do they are minuscule. Large employers have set schedules for pay raises. You might be the best minimum wage employee in the world but if the pay scale allows for a 12 cent per hour wage increase after 6 months that is what you will get.
This is the reality right here.

If you're good at your job, good attitude, show up on time every day and go beyond your job description you'll get... a 12 cent raise every 6 months. Whoop-dee-doo!

Old 07-08-2016, 10:25 PM

167 posts, read 195,622 times
forget the minimum wage. If you make salary 40k in Orange County you STILL wouldn't be able to even qualify to rent a studio/1b in a normal apartment complex given that they require your income to be 2.5 times rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California