Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 01:15 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Maybe you should read up on guerrilla warfare. Our military has been and is currently being defeated by such tactics using just small arms.

Semi automatic rifles are one of the most popular types of guns in America and they run the gambit of costs from $200 to 5k. It all just depends on what someone wants.

handguns are used in more mass shootings than rifles. You keep moving the goal posts, trying to portray a type of gun as being more dangerious when statistics and facts prove you wrong.

You can't change the meaning of words to fit your agenda. One of the most popular types of gun isn't unusual and the same type of gun that is used in the fewest amounts of deaths, less than fists and knives cannot be described as more dangerious than other types of guns.

Just say "I have an irrational fear of certain types of guns that are statistically safer than pools and I think they should be banned." At least be honest.
As you no doubt obviously know, semi automatic rifles (self loading) have been around for decades perhaps a century. Over the many years it has been in existence, how many M1 Garand rifles have been sold to the civilian market through the Civilian Marksmanship Program....hundreds of thousands....over million/s ? I recently saw a Remington, pre WW2, semi automatic hunting rifle being offered for sale. Below is a current production semi automatic rifle.... available in calibers far more powerful then the current M4 rifle used by the military. It's just the personal opinion of the other poster that a semi automatic rifle meets the criteria of "dangerous or unusual" in the Heller Decision.
A worthy discussion may be had if a self loading rifle with certain features might meet the criteria (I am not saying it might)

BAR MK 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 03:24 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
As you no doubt obviously know, semi automatic rifles (self loading) have been around for decades perhaps a century. Over the many years it has been in existence, how many M1 Garand rifles have been sold to the civilian market through the Civilian Marksmanship Program....hundreds of thousands....over million/s ? I recently saw a Remington, pre WW2, semi automatic hunting rifle being offered for sale. Below is a current production semi automatic rifle.... available in calibers far more powerful then the current M4 rifle used by the military. It's just the personal opinion of the other poster that a semi automatic rifle meets the criteria of "dangerous or unusual" in the Heller Decision.
A worthy discussion may be had if a self loading rifle with certain features might meet the criteria (I am not saying it might)

BAR MK 3
The idea that a pistol grip, forearm grip, adjustable stock etc make a firearm more dangerous or powerful is absolutely ridiculous. Knowing that tid bit you have to look at these new laws differently as any attempt to equate logic will set off alarms.

If a few mass murders were done with hedge clippers we'd be seeing the same thing.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:49 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The idea that a pistol grip, forearm grip, adjustable stock etc make a firearm more dangerous or powerful is absolutely ridiculous. Knowing that tid bit you have to look at these new laws differently as any attempt to equate logic will set off alarms.

If a few mass murders were done with hedge clippers we'd be seeing the same thing.

I know what you are saying. It's not a hobby or sport that I am currently involved in. When I was, I was more drawn to bolt action long arms.....just a personal preference. The 8x5r was quite a experience at the range when I owned M95/34 carbine back in the mid 1990s. I used the 1938 dated Austrian ammunition in it.....not underloaded

Old 07-24-2016, 03:58 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
++5 For the factual statements on this topic by poster Neutrino.

I found the conveyance well rounded, researched and presented properly.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I know what you are saying. It's not a hobby or sport that I am currently involved in. When I was, I was more drawn to bolt action long arms.....just a personal preference. The 8x5r was quite a experience at the range when I owned M95/34 carbine back in the mid 1990s. I used the 1938 dated Austrian ammunition in it.....not underloaded
I have one of those and it's a real slice of history as stated before. Used in the military and with the right shooter more than equal to an sks for fire rate. Kicks like a donkey in the carbine.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:53 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Reports: 19 dead, 20 injured in knife attack outside Tokyo

19-20 dead, knife attack in Japan.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:27 PM

124 posts, read 129,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
How the hell does something like this actually happen? People just sit around while some nutjob takes on a crowd with a knife? Black belt ninja warrior.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaDude View Post
How the hell does something like this actually happen? People just sit around while some nutjob takes on a crowd with a knife? Black belt ninja warrior.
If it was an assisted living center they probably couldn't really put up much of a fight. What a monster.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaDude View Post
Because it was a gun free zone.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:45 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
Wouldn't that be something? A proliferation of gun rights in CA. I can't even imagine it. It just doesn't fit my stereotypical view of beach parties, bonfires, and Gidget and stuff. But hey, maybe eventually there'll be people openly carrying guns on the Venice Beach Boardwalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Regardless, this topic is now moot. Good old Debbie Wasserman just destroyed the democrat chances of getting the presidency, and Trump is on his way to getting elected, and he'll place 4-5 conservative justices on the highest court. His bump will also have a huge effect on other local elections around the country. Looks like Gun rights will be safe for the next 4-6 years at least, if not an entire generation depending on who Trump puts into the Supreme Court.

Debbie Wasserman just gave conservatives what they wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California