Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:08 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times

Advertisements

Public employees, most make twice what they would make if the worked in the private sector. Not only they're unbelievable pay but then retire early with full pay plus healthcare.
Calif. is 38 million so there is a LOT of teachers, their union is the strongest in the world. Your paying for all their pensions and healthcare.
Firemen make 100,000 a year, with overtime the make two or three times that and they retire at 50, your paying for this crap.
If you can land a job working for the goverment in Calif. any job its better than winning the lottery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:17 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 vega
Public employees, most make twice what they would make if the worked in the private sector. Not only they're unbelievable pay but then retire early with full pay plus healthcare.
That's exactly right, and I often complain about overpaid non-military government servants as well. Just look at a BART train operator. BART is mostly automated; this person is mainly there to hit the bakes in an emergency, but they also open the doors and make sure everyone gets on the train safely. Still, if they work overtime they can make up to 100k! And they are allowed to go on strike!

Imagine if we had unions in the military. "I'm sorry, Mr. President. My Navy SEAL team cannot go into Pakistan after Osama bin Laden. We are on strike because we don't make enough to buy a SFH in an excellent school district in San Francisco."

We join the military to serve our country, not to get rich. Non-military government workers should do the same. The Legislature should pay the workers what the State can afford after paying for everything else, not what the unions extracted through threat of a strike.

Also, their pension should be "defined contribution", like a 401k, not "defined benefit". That is much cheaper for the State.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:55 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
Many of these higher paying gov jobs are in municipalities and transit agencies..... The Legislature does not set the salaries for example for the City of San Francisco or what AC Transit pays. Actually if you look at what the state pays for a lot of their positions, it is not that high....DMV employees being one example

Old 07-15-2016, 12:36 AM

124 posts, read 129,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Many of these higher paying gov jobs are in municipalities and transit agencies..... The Legislature does not set the salaries for example for the City of San Francisco or what AC Transit pays. Actually if you look at what the state pays for a lot of their positions, it is not that high....DMV employees being one example
And you can definitely tell the DMV gets what it pays for.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:12 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
4 posts for DenaDude in this thread so far and he's batting 1.000.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
How come our roads, transportation infrastructure, and public facilties are still in such awful shape compared to many other states and countries?
I've always thought the argument about roads being in poor shape is either a bad one, or at the very least, very hard to judge.

1. Nearly every time i drive somewhere more than a few miles, I do see road work going on.

2. Are we supposed to see even more road work being done? At what point are we doing TOO MUCH road wiork? I would think that is a hard thing to determine. It would be a waste of money to be fixing roads before they need it.

3. You hear of complaints of suspension and tires being damaged and other repairs being needed on cars due to bad roads. While I suppose true, is it really all bad? Mechanics, auto shops and tire dealers are benefiting. All of which live and spend money in our local california communites.

4. Obviously we don't want a major bridge to collapse endangering drivers, but have we had any serious bridge collapses not due to some severe flood or earthquake?

Old 07-15-2016, 10:05 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
The Gov's hands are tied as to how most of the money is spent. That's why you see municipalities now leveling outrageous fines for traffic infractions, for example, and charging more for parking: to get badly-needed revenue into the system. It's a sign of a budget in trouble. Not that that's anything new, but the worse it gets, the more they have to search every nook and cranny for potential revenue, and take all options to new extremes.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:37 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,989 times
There's about 10,000 layers of needless government administration.

So, to answer your question: the money goes to pay for the typical liberal larger-than-it-needs-to-be government.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Why does the 5th largest economy on the world, with very high taxes and fees, have so many problems????

What is wrong with the spending?

It isn't beauty or weather or popularity as a place to live. That does not cost anyone, especially the State and in fact brings in revenue for the use of it.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 PM

244 posts, read 180,921 times
I question the notion that California is in a terrible shape. Compared to where? As someone who immigrated from abroad a couple of decades ago, I have some idea what a place in a terrible shape looks like and trust me: California ain't it.

In fact, judging by the huge demand for housing, parts of it appear to be one of the most desirable places in the country. If it was truly a "mess", world-caliber companies would not be headquartered here and population would be declining.

Maybe taxes could be spent better but this gloomy assessment of the entire state needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California