Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:17 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times

Advertisements

Of all the years I've lived here I've never seen it rain mud
But we do have those dust storms from time to time.

Bakersfield may not be your cup of tea,but it's just like any mid-sized city in my opinion,and even if it's not like L.A or San Diego I think it's doing just fine being a central valley city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I had the misfortune to live in Bakersfield for three years because of my job. Agriculture stirred up so much dust that when it rained on the rare occasion it did, it literally rained mud. That's one of my lasting memories of the place. But to each their own. Natives of the place swear by it and love it. I don't! Years later I had to spend a week there for business. Other than the Basque restaurants and the new housing areas being built to the west I still found little or nothing to recommend it. But it sure beats Oildale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 11:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
Of all the years I've lived here I've never seen it rain mud
But we do have those dust storms from time to time.

Bakersfield may not be your cup of tea,but it's just like any mid-sized city in my opinion,and even if it's not like L.A or San Diego I think it's doing just fine being a central valley city.
It happened on at least two occasions of very sudden summer showers and was very evident on my car which was white. The rain brought down the dust in the air. I do remember the dust storms but they were nothing compared to some out on I-5. Ideally the air is now better than it was 28 years ago.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:37 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Inland areas of California always seemed to get the crap kicked out them by C-D posters who worship the coastal cities and counties. I see it all of the time on these forums.

People on the coast ripping into Bakersfield, Fresno, Lancaster/Palmdale, Visalia, Sacramento, Riverside/Ontario, etc.

A lot of it is classism and a feeling of being "elite" and needing an "other" to kick and talk down about.

A lot of it is insecurity on the part of the coastal people, knowing their own vulnerability and fearful that, they too, might have to move inland someday.

As for me, I love the inland parts of California, as they contain some of the state's best treasures!

I love the deserts, the sequoia forests, the canyons, the rivers/lakes and creeks. Inland California may not have the glitz and exorbitant wealth of the coastal counties, but it is beautiful in its own way.

The contempt so many coastal people have for the Inland should stop. It's not productive and, kicking someone you perceive to be "lower" than you doesn't show any class.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:57 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
You can't have everything. How about if it sucked less?

Old 12-12-2018, 02:26 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Inland areas of California always seemed to get the crap kicked out them by C-D posters who worship the coastal cities and counties. I see it all of the time on these forums.

People on the coast ripping into Bakersfield, Fresno, Lancaster/Palmdale, Visalia, Sacramento, Riverside/Ontario, etc.

A lot of it is classism and a feeling of being "elite" and needing an "other" to kick and talk down about.

A lot of it is insecurity on the part of the coastal people, knowing their own vulnerability and fearful that, they too, might have to move inland someday.

As for me, I love the inland parts of California, as they contain some of the state's best treasures!

I love the deserts, the sequoia forests, the canyons, the rivers/lakes and creeks. Inland California may not have the glitz and exorbitant wealth of the coastal counties, but it is beautiful in its own way.

The contempt so many coastal people have for the Inland should stop. It's not productive and, kicking someone you perceive to be "lower" than you doesn't show any class.
Hey, who cares if they rip on these places. The fewer people who find these places desirable, the cheaper the land will be for the rest of us who actually like them.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:36 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Quote:
That's only because there are idiot posters that "wake up" (by posting to them) old, negative threads about these inland areas, when said negative threads were one (or more) years dormant (maybe all the way back to March 2017), and thus bringing the negative posts back to the top of the ND list ...

Old 12-13-2018, 10:34 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
i have no problem with Bakersfield if thats where you find a living

between Bakersfield and Antelope Valley, i would choose the former. there seems to be more opportunities there. just seen a new Outlet, Caterpillar when i pass by last thanksgiving

Old 12-13-2018, 11:03 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Quote:

It's more bay area people who do this.

Most folks in SoCal do not know anything about the Central Valley.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:39 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
It's more bay area people who do this.

Most folks in SoCal do not know anything about the Central Valley.
I concur with that assessment. I'm originally from So Cal and have lived in the Central Valley for more than 26 years (Visalia & Sacramento). When I lived in Visalia, some of my relatives thought I lived in Valencia or Vallejo. Another example was when I had a business appointment in Encino (San Fernando Valley) and commented to a guy in the elevator that I had to drive back to the "Central Valley", he thought I meant Van Nuys.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:29 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I concur with that assessment. I'm originally from So Cal and have lived in the Central Valley for more than 26 years (Visalia & Sacramento). When I lived in Visalia, some of my relatives thought I lived in Valencia or Vallejo. Another example was when I had a business appointment in Encino (San Fernando Valley) and commented to a guy in the elevator that I had to drive back to the "Central Valley", he thought I meant Van Nuys.
SoCal has only "heard" of those places at best. LOLOL.

People in LA/OC rarely even know what the IE is like. Imagine if more of them knew about Bakersfield?

When I'd visit SoCal back when I lived in Ridgecrest, I'd try and explain where that was in multitudes of ways; on occasion I would include Bakersfield in my description, even though it was 100 miles from where I had lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California