Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,637,830 times

Advertisements

I was listening to NPR this morning and they said that in San Francisco, we are going to vote on FORTY TWO state and local initiatives. That’s FORTY TWO laws that they expect regular people to pass on a single day. I wonder if even professional politicians vote on FORTY TWO laws in a single day.

And once these FORTY TWO laws are on the books, they become basically impossible to remove. What % of voters do you think will be able to/willing to spend the time to read these bills? How many do you think will have any idea of the unintended consequences of these initiatives?

This is fricking nuts. This madness has to be stopped. The bar for initiatives needs to be set higher and we need to be voting on like one-two per year. Why do we elect lawmakers if we are expected to vote on FORTY TWO laws?

INSANE!!

Here are the TWENTY FIVE local initiatives I am supposed to vote in November

Local Ballot Measure Status | Department of Elections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Californian's like to regulate and control others. It is in our nature unfortunately. We vote like we know what is best for everyone else.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:53 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
I have mixed feeling about initiatives. On one hand, you're exactly right! Why do we have to do what our elected representatives are supposed to be doing. On the other hand, the initiative process is the only way to get some stuff done that our representatives refuse to do. Such as Proposition 13. There has been both good and bad that has resulted from Prop 13, which has been discussed often and is not applicable to this thread. However, it wouldn't have happened if it were not for the initiative process.

I can't do much, but what I can do is don't sign petitions for new propositions. Doesn't matter how noble the goal, I just don't sign anymore. And, when it comes time to vote, I just skip over those propositions that don't affect me directly or that I don't understand.

-

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-09-2016, 03:30 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Statist gonna state!

Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times
I agree with the OP. The propositions need to slow down and we need a Constitutional Convention to start over anew. Too much of the budget is tied up in these mandatory spending provisions, and the Legislature has very little room to negotiate.

I also agree with volosong in that I never sign those petitions to get things on the ballot.

I always try to learn everything I can about what is on the ballot so I can make an informed decision.

I typically vote for Republicans on the local and state level because the democratic party is too entrenched and too narrow in their thinking.

Another ridiculous thing is the open primary we had for our federal Senator. What?? That basically guaranteed that we would have two democrats running in November. Instead, it should be one candidate for each party in November. Why should democrats be able to vote against the nominee of other parties? We need that diversity of ideas on the ballot.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:43 PM

864 posts, read 1,719,920 times
People in this state don't want a diversity of ideas. I'm pretty sure you could put an initiative on the ballot to put all Republicans in reeducation camps or even forced labor camps and it would pass in every metro area. Why not just outlaw the party here and save some money on the election process? The non-partisan blanket primary law pretty much does this for the Senate now.

This whole initiative thing reminds me of Robocop 2 where they gave him so many sub-directives that it completely paralyzed him from doing anything. California needs a change in the constitution where every law has a 4-year expiration date so that all of the unimportant ones just disappear after a while. Our legislators can then keep passing the good ones to keep them from expiring and can show that they do something without creating such a nanny state that I'm breaking multiple laws each day just going to work.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:05 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Don't forget Politicians see Initiatives as a way to dodge issues or provide cover...

Old 08-10-2016, 07:40 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,637,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
This whole initiative thing reminds me of Robocop 2 where they gave him so many sub-directives that it completely paralyzed him from doing anything. California needs a change in the constitution where every law has a 4-year expiration date so that all of the unimportant ones just disappear after a while. Our legislators can then keep passing the good ones to keep them from expiring and can show that they do something without creating such a nanny state that I'm breaking multiple laws each day just going to work.
Great reference and I think this suggestion makes a lot of sense

Old 08-10-2016, 09:24 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
California needs a change in the constitution where every law has a 4-year expiration date so that all of the unimportant ones just disappear after a while.
That's a great idea. Unfortunately I think the current democrat assembly and senate would scoff at actually having to do work once in a while.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:38 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
This certainly is important

Tax on Sugar-Sweetened Beverages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California