Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 12:31 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You're finally right about something: I'm not totally ignorant. In fact, I'm not even slightly ignorant.
You say this, yet you continue to prattle on about how ACA prevented skyrocketing healthcare cost (it didn't), and then you defend your point by posting a nearly 2 year old article before the effects of ACA were even fully known (they are now as evidenced by the exit of 3 of the largest providers from the exchanges).

To me that reeks of ignorance, willful ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 02:11 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
Read the articles recently linked. Here's another:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/op...reat.html?_r=0
It's an opinion piece, but one that identifies the maneuvering behind the scenes in the industry pull-outs.
still, you could say that Obamacare is not profitable for hospitals because usually those who avail are more sickly and pay less

Old 08-17-2016, 02:16 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
You say this, yet you continue to prattle on about how ACA prevented skyrocketing healthcare cost (it didn't), and then you defend your point by posting a nearly 2 year old article before the effects of ACA were even fully known (they are now as evidenced by the exit of 3 of the largest providers from the exchanges).

To me that reeks of ignorance, willful ignorance.
Repeating your mantra that the rate of growth hasn't been slowed doesn't make it true. I didn't say the ACA prevented skyrocketing healthcare cost. Those are your words. I said: healthcare costs have been skyrocketing since long before Obama became POTUS and championed the ACA - which Act has slowed the rate of increasing costs. And it has. Why not quit this dishonesty you post constantly by juggling and substituting words?

Regardless if the article I linked is 18 months past published, the figures cover a period of years accurately supporting what I wrote. If they have worsened recently it doesn't change the fact that the rate slowed. And is still slower than pre-ACA.

From Jan. 2016:
Quote:
The once-torrid growth rate of health care costs has slowed markedly, at least for now, and should maintain a more languid pace into the New Year and beyond. But why? The answer ranges far beyond the ebbing of general price escalation for other things, such as apartment rentals and new cars.
Of course, medical bill inflation still is rising faster than the broader consumer price index, which remains well south of a 2 percent annual pace. In November, according the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, consumers' health care inflation was up 2.9 percent. That's far down from the 5 percent expansion in 2007.
The picture is the same for overall health costs. Above what consumers shell out, the government -- through Medicare, Medicaid and Obamacare -- and employer plans also chip in to pay medical bills. The PwC Health Research Institute found that this combined spending rose 6.8 percent in 2015 and expects it to climb at a slightly slower clip of 6.5 percent in 2016. That's a far cry from 2007's 11.9 percent.

How much will your health care costs rise in 2016? - CBS News

There's a cure for the frustration that comes from being corrected over and over: stop posting unsupportable crap.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
still, you could say that Obamacare is not profitable for hospitals because usually those who avail are more sickly and pay less
Pretty sure I never said anything about ACA being "profitable" for anyone. I said: it has slowed the rate of healthcare costs - for now.

Get it?

Old 08-17-2016, 02:26 PM

More, from June 21, 2016, Fortune Magazine:
Quote:
U.S. Will Spend $2.6 Trillion Less on Health Care Than Previously Estimated

There’s several reasons driving the savings.

The United States will save about $2.6 trillion on health care expenses over a five-year period compared to initial projections made right after the passage of the Affordable Care Act.

While health spending spiked briefly in 2014, evidence shows that it has once again slowed down and will help save Americans trillions between 2014 and 2019, according to a new study by the Urban Institute and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

Spending declines will happen across both private health insurance as well as Medicare and Medicaid. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services actuaries predicted that total Medicare spending between 2014 and 2019 would be $455 billion lower than the ACA baseline forecast. Projected Medicaid spending over the same time period is expected to be $1.05 billion lower than previous ACA estimates, while private insurance spending projections declined by $664 billion.

The average annual growth rate from 2010 to 2013 was about 3.6% compared to the 5.4% that had been projected in 2010.

The slower health care spending also means that the ACA is expected to cost the U.S. government much less than previously estimated. The Congressional Budget Office estimated in 2010, after the passage of the ACA, that the gross cost of all ACA coverage provisions from 2014 to 2019 would cost $938 billion. That forecast has now dropped to $686 billion in the 2015 forecast, a reduction of 26.9%.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure I never said anything about ACA being "profitable" for anyone. I said: it has slowed the rate of healthcare costs - for now.

Get it?
ok, but what happens when the providers decide not participate?

Old 08-17-2016, 03:44 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
It needs to completely fail so they can institute Medicare-for-all, which was the point in the first place.

Anyone who read the bill day one could see that there was no possible way this would financially work.
You read all 900+ pages? Or are you just relying on some "pundit's" opinion?

Your comment makes me think that you didn't read it, and are just against it because some other people are against it. There is nothing in the bill that sets costs (although PROFITS are limited). The companies must provide certain services in their plans, and they can set whatever price they want for their plans. If they are losing money, THEY screwed up. (And frankly, I am not crying over a multi-hundred BILLION dollar industry losing a little for a change.)

Old 08-17-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
(And frankly, I am not crying over a multi-hundred BILLION dollar industry losing a little for a change.)
Well that's confirmation: you are a big meanie

Old 08-17-2016, 05:03 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
Even Kaiser is losing money now..staffs suspect its due to Obamacare
Looks as if they were doing all right in 2014.

"Blue Shield of California led the country with $107 million in profit on Obamacare policies sold to individuals. Kaiser Permanente was second with $66 million, and Anthem Blue Cross ranked seventh nationally with a $9-million surplus in the Covered California exchange." California's 3 largest health insurers among few to show Obamacare profit in 2014 - LA Times

Kaiser Permanente 'absolutely' committed to ACA marketplaces: http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/160819922

Old 08-17-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Looks as if they were doing all right in 2014.

"Blue Shield of California led the country with $107 million in profit on Obamacare policies sold to individuals. Kaiser Permanente was second with $66 million, and Anthem Blue Cross ranked seventh nationally with a $9-million surplus in the Covered California exchange." California's 3 largest health insurers among few to show Obamacare profit in 2014 - LA Times

Kaiser Permanente 'absolutely' committed to ACA marketplaces: http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/160819922
I was referring to its hospital system..not the insurance division
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California