Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:38 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
even before the ACA brought them under rein?
ObamaCare brought skyrocketing heathcare cost under "rein"?

The funny part is critics actually predicted EXACTLY how this would pan out. I mean, I'm usually not one to believe in black magic arts, but it's almost like they saw in the crystal ball and saw the future (or they understand that Keynesians are total dumbasses).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:06 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
ObamaCare brought skyrocketing heathcare cost under "rein"?
Um, yes.

Quote:
Republicans say the average family health insurance premium has increased by $4,154 under President Obama. That’s right — and it’s a much slower rate of growth than under President George W. Bush. In fact, employer-sponsored premiums have been growing at moderate rates for the past few years.
This is a prime example of what we call a “true, but” claim: an assertion that’s technically correct, but changes in meaning or significance once it’s put in context or fully explained.

The Republican National Committee took to Twitter before Obama gave his State of the Union address to spread this statistic: “Under Obama, Average Family Premiums Have Increased $4,154.” Two days later, Rep. Barbara Comstock tweeted the same stat, and the RNC lists it, along with other premium numbers, in a State of the Union “fact check.”

The average employer-sponsored family premium has gone up by $4,154 under Obama, from 2008, before he took office, to 2014, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation’s annual employer survey conducted with the Health Research & Educational Trust. The catch? That’s relatively slow growth for premiums. The RNC may cast it as bad news, but it’s an improvement compared with the growth in premiums before Obama took office.

Under Bush, the average family premiums (including both what employers and employees pay) went up $4,677 in his last six years in office, from 2002 to 2008, an increase of 58 percent. That $4,154 growth under Obama is a 33 percent increase. If we look at Bush’s first six years, the discrepancy gets even bigger: From 2000, the year before Bush was first inaugurated, to 2006, the average family premium went up $5,042, or an increase of 78 percent. (See Exhibit 1.11 on page 31 of the KFF report for these numbers.)
Slower Premium Growth Under Obama

Old 08-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
A lot has changed in the past 18 months.

TuleMutt, you may not be totally ignorant, so I'll give you a chance to evaluate what's actually happening in 2016.

While insurance providers were going into the red (as was predicted), and the amount of choices in the exchanges starts decreasing (as was predicted), and overall participation drops (as was predicted) what do you think given that info will happen to the cost of care for those who participate in ObamaCare?

Old 08-17-2016, 11:10 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:

TuleMutt, you may not be totally ignorant, so I'll give you a chance to evaluate what's actually happening in 2016.

While insurance providers were going into the red (as was predicted), and the amount of choices in the exchanges starts decreasing (as was predicted), and overall participation drops (as was predicted) what do you think given that info will happen to the cost of care for those who participate in ObamaCare?
And, the service your premium buys now is less. My plans have been in place for employees before Bush. The plan provisions barely changed, just became more costly. Now it is more costly (A little less growth in cost) BUT a major drop in provisions which make the plans wayyy more costly to individuals when they start to use them. Good example in one plan the co-pay for a doctor's visit went from $20.00 to $60.00. Before Obama Care the provisions in the plans we had did not significantly change. Plan cost includes more than the premium cost. All the other provisions have become more expensive as well. Before Obama Care the co-pay for major service was about $2500.00, last year $4400.00 and this next year $6600.00.

Oh yes, same company same plan, but less for more now rules.

Yes I have checked the State plans and others and they are more expensive or have bad service, Like the CA State plans, definitely poorly run.

Last edited by expatCA; 08-17-2016 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And, the service your premium buys now is less. My plans have been in place for employees before Bush. The plan provisions barely changed, just became more costly. Now it is more costly (A little less growth in cost) BUT a major drop in provisions which make the plans way more costly to individuals when they start to use them. Good example in one plan the co-pay for a doctor's visit went from $20.00 to $60.00. Before Obama Care the provisions in the plans we had did not significantly change. Plan cost includes more than the premium cost. All the other provisions have become more expensive as well. Before Obama Care the co-pay for major service was about $2500.00, last year $4400.00 and this next year $6600.00.

Yes I have checked the State plans and others and they are more expensive or have bad service, Like the CA State plans, definitely poorly run.
Yes. Health care costs and plans continue to rise. Mercilessly and shamelessly. Insurance providers and medical businesses continue to plot new strategies to increase revenue and profits. This isn't new news. And none of it changes the fact that the rate of increase has been reduced. For now. Temporarily. The changes in services you cite are among many constant adjustments providers make to beat the system's limitations. That is all accounted for in analysis of rates of increase. For now it has been slowed.

Health care is one of the most, if not altogether most, fear-based commodities. In a world where extraordinary technology far beyond any reach of consumers' personal management has become the platform mechanism to deliver care, "they" are holding us all ransom. Medicine, food, real estate.

Yup.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:

You're finally right about something: I'm not totally ignorant. In fact, I'm not even slightly ignorant.

The answer to your question: "what do [i] think will happen", is, in its simplest form:
"I don't know - and neither do you", for sure.

Most likely the providers will, as I just wrote above responding to expat, continue to jockey for market position while plotting strategies to reassert their control of the systems for ever increasing profits to the detriment of consumers.

And, in response, government will be forced to make changes to the ACA to combat the industry's avarice and greed. What's new? Nothing.

Eventually the USA will, like all other developed nations, be forced to adopt a single-payer socialized medicine system.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And, the service your premium buys now is less. My plans have been in place for employees before Bush. The plan provisions barely changed, just became more costly. Now it is more costly (A little less growth in cost) BUT a major drop in provisions which make the plans wayyy more costly to individuals when they start to use them. Good example in one plan the co-pay for a doctor's visit went from $20.00 to $60.00. Before Obama Care the provisions in the plans we had did not significantly change. Plan cost includes more than the premium cost. All the other provisions have become more expensive as well. Before Obama Care the co-pay for major service was about $2500.00, last year $4400.00 and this next year $6600.00.

Yup. The funny part is, all of the ACA/ObamaCare critics predicted that these things would occur; less care, less choices, more cost.

Now with Aetna, Blue Shield, UnitedHealth all running as far away from ACA exchanges as possible, the only way this stays together is if the government bilks the tax payers out of trillions of dollars to keep this sinking ship afloat.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:10 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Even Kaiser is losing money now..staffs suspect its due to Obamacare

Old 08-17-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Yup. The funny part is, all of the ACA/ObamaCare critics predicted that these things would occur; less care, less choices, more cost.

Now with Aetna, Blue Shield, UnitedHealth all running as far away from ACA exchanges as possible, the only way this stays together is if the government bilks the tax payers out of trillions of dollars to keep this sinking ship afloat.
If you keep restating a fallacy, eventually it will come true, eh Cali? You and Donald. And Kaz Chasey.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
Even Kaiser is losing money now..staffs suspect its due to Obamacare
Read the articles recently linked. Here's another:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/op...reat.html?_r=0
It's an opinion piece, but one that identifies the maneuvering behind the scenes in the industry pull-outs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California