Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 10:59 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post
Well your friends are in the minority.

67% of Republicans are anti choice.

Republicans More Unified Than Democrats on Abortion

And then in Texas?? Do you not remember that recent law you guys passed that would shut down almost all of the abortion providers in the state?
You have to realize the reason WHY that law was passed and you apparently do not. Voters just wanted doctors at abortion clinics to have CLEAN and MEDICALLY SAFE clinics in which to perform abortions, have you actually seen some of these clinics, especially in the RGV? Additionally, they wanted these clinics to have admitting rights to an actual hospital in case anything went wrong. Which of these do you oppose? Do you not want SAFE clinics for women? If something does go wrong where a woman needs more advanced medical care, should they not have access to that care? To say you are against these things makes you MORE anti-woman than pro choice

Old 09-15-2016, 11:41 PM

145 posts, read 111,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
You have to realize the reason WHY that law was passed and you apparently do not. Voters just wanted doctors at abortion clinics to have CLEAN and MEDICALLY SAFE clinics in which to perform abortions, have you actually seen some of these clinics, especially in the RGV? Additionally, they wanted these clinics to have admitting rights to an actual hospital in case anything went wrong. Which of these do you oppose? Do you not want SAFE clinics for women? If something does go wrong where a woman needs more advanced medical care, should they not have access to that care? To say you are against these things makes you MORE anti-woman than pro choice
Whatever you want to tell yourself.

In admitting that the law, HB 2, was meant to limit abortions, Abbott deviated from the state’s initial justification for the law, as presented during the case’s oral arguments.

Texas Governor Admits Anti-Abortion Law Was About Restricting Abortion | Huffington Post

And the fact the Supreme Court found it unconstitutional.

Also, you didn't seem to want to respond to my factoid about 67% of Republicans being anti abortion. Meaning you and your friends are in the minority (33% is less than 50%).

Old 09-16-2016, 06:15 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:

In admitting that the law, HB 2, was meant to limit abortions, Abbott deviated from the state’s initial justification for the law, as presented during the case’s oral arguments.

Texas Governor Admits Anti-Abortion Law Was About Restricting Abortion | Huffington Post

Also, you didn't seem to want to respond to my factoid about 67% of Republicans being anti abortion. Meaning you and your friends are in the minority (33% is less than 50%).
At one time most people were in favor of slavery, did that make it right or just popular?

Old 09-16-2016, 06:39 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
At one time most people were in favor of slavery, did that make it right or just popular?
Huh? "Popularity" trumps (so to speak) Constitutionality?
Quote:

Old 09-16-2016, 07:10 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osufootballfan32 View Post
As many of you know the state of California hasn't went red since 1988. It's been almost 30 years. Do we see this changing any time soon? Are the residents starting to become more conservative due to all the regulations and high taxes?
No. Demographics.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:09 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osufootballfan32 View Post
As many of you know the state of California hasn't went red since 1988. It's been almost 30 years. Do we see this changing any time soon? Are the residents starting to become more conservative due to all the regulations and high taxes?
Demographics. Poverty. No.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:35 AM

807 posts, read 897,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Similarly, at one time Americans were (and still claim to be) in favor of freedom and liberty, does that make it right or just popular? Clearly the test by itself doesn't work in all situations.

In the end this is just one of those topics where beliefs play such a strong role that it's easy to rationalize any standpoint. When a topic is like this, my rule of thumb is that the most practical position is going to be somewhere in the middle of the strongest viewpoints.

Last edited by DriveNotCommute; 09-16-2016 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Added clarification.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:17 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,567 times
Quote:

First off, I think I've already said that I'm not a republican or a democrat. I'm an INDEPENDENT that votes for the candidate NOT the party. I've voted for republicans, democrats and independents dependent upon whose policies/beliefs aligned better with mine. Secondly, you do realize there are TONS of Texas republicans that do not like Abbott but they liked his opponent even less and for good reason. Abbott got in because he was the prettiest of the 2 ugly sisters. Davis was so utterly nasty and inappropriate during her campaign for Governor that even Mother Jones had an issue with it. She was also caught in several downright lies which resulted in many democrats and the majority of Texas women voting for Abbott.

Additionally, I honestly don't pay to much attention nor put too much credence into "polls". Most of them are conducted by either righties or lefties and they manipulate the polls in order to get the results they want. The same can be said for the media. It's disgusting to me that what used to be reporting the news has now turned into reporting the newscasters opinion. Doesn't matter if it's CNN, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, NBC, etc. Even newspapers are endorsing candidates and I'm just gobsmacked by that.

I base my opinion off of my own experiences and research. Based upon MY experience, most republicans ARE anti-abortion (addressing the poll you mentioned) but they are NOT anti-choice. Another poll says that 57% of republicans are pro-choice but again, I don't pay attention to polls.

From what I've observed, republicans have a live and let live attitude for the most part. Those I know personally couldn't care less about your religion, who you love, what you do in the privacy of your own home and in your life, if you like guns or not, what you do with YOUR body, etc. All they care about is their right to live their lives the way they see fit even if it may be different from yours. They also do not like our education system indoctrinating their children with ideas/beliefs that are opposite of their values, religion, etc. Democrats I know feel the EXACT same way. See, there are commonalities.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Huh? "Popularity" trumps (so to speak) Constitutionality?
It was not contested constitutionally then. Even Supreme Court decisions are not necessarily in harmony with the Constitution. The Constitution just gives the judges the final say (Unless Congress over rides them). Again popular as in the majority want something does not make it constitutional or right.

After all the constitution had to be changed through amendments to make many things ... 'constitutional", that were not before.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
First off, I think I've already said that I'm not a republican or a democrat. I'm an INDEPENDENT that votes for the candidate NOT the party. I've voted for republicans, democrats and independents dependent upon whose policies/beliefs aligned better with mine. Secondly, you do realize there are TONS of Texas republicans that do not like Abbott but they liked his opponent even less and for good reason. Abbott got in because he was the prettiest of the 2 ugly sisters. Davis was so utterly nasty and inappropriate during her campaign for Governor that even Mother Jones had an issue with it. She was also caught in several downright lies which resulted in many democrats and the majority of Texas women voting for Abbott.

Additionally, I honestly don't pay to much attention nor put too much credence into "polls". Most of them are conducted by either righties or lefties and they manipulate the polls in order to get the results they want. The same can be said for the media. It's disgusting to me that what used to be reporting the news has now turned into reporting the newscasters opinion. Doesn't matter if it's CNN, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, NBC, etc. Even newspapers are endorsing candidates and I'm just gobsmacked by that.

I base my opinion off of my own experiences and research. Based upon MY experience, most republicans ARE anti-abortion (addressing the poll you mentioned) but they are NOT anti-choice. Another poll says that 57% of republicans are pro-choice but again, I don't pay attention to polls.

From what I've observed, republicans have a live and let live attitude for the most part. Those I know personally couldn't care less about your religion, who you love, what you do in the privacy of your own home and in your life, if you like guns or not, what you do with YOUR body, etc. All they care about is their right to live their lives the way they see fit even if it may be different from yours. They also do not like our education system indoctrinating their children with ideas/beliefs that are opposite of their values, religion, etc. Democrats I know feel the EXACT same way. See, there are commonalities.
When you see a single person used as an example, such as Abbot, you know the reality is being ignored. Most people are centrists and may lean a little one way or another a bit. The Progressive Liberals and Regressive Conservatives are the extremes at both ends . Usually extremists of both kinds are the loudest in a debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California