U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 01:17 PM

233 posts, read 166,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I guess I shouldn't bring Needles into this discussion.
When I was a kid and my dad bought our first car with air conditioning, dating myself, I know. Well, my dad thought there were only two settings on any device: off or high. We had been traveling on vacation for miles in seemingly sub-zero temps, inside the car. We stopped in Needles where the outside temp was exceeding 110 degrees. My sister and I made a bathroom run bundled up like we were going snow sledding.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 12:32 PM

23 posts, read 9,874 times
I've never lived in Weed, but have stopped there a few times when driving up through the Shasta area.

Nice small town feel, but not much going on. Locals aren't incredibly outgoing to tourists so I can see how it would seem "boring" or "unfriendly" to most people passing through. They have a nice small brewery in town that makes decent beer, has live music pretty frequently, and nice views of Mt. Shasta from their outdoor seating area.

Weed Ales

Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,632,892 times
Weed is pretty much a dead town... there was the mill.. it employs half mixed race people and half ghetto folks.. so if your looking to get away from L.A ... think again.. I was saddened driving around and seeing low life gangbangers.. but they stay to the city and dont wander outside it much

Small Mercy satellite hospital in Mount Shasta

Shopping is poor... the city is poor.. abet clean downtown

College of the Siskyous probably has the best ( and hardest) paramedic program in California..people come from all over for it.

Its boiling hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter

It has a great sculpture park off 97- Vietnam Memorial Garden. I highly recommend this special place

If you are self sustaining... and looking for privacy outside town somewhere you might find the loneliness acceptable

You'll be commuting to Costco Redding or Oregon for larger ticket items... there's a smallish Walmart to the north

Theres a small ford dealer to the north

There is the outdoors.. and the shadow of Mount Shasta 14,172 feet... Ive hiked it enough to say.. ok..Ive done it.. Ive done most of the mountain lakes close by.. carry a gun,, the cowboy dirtbag dope growers have spread out since the counties to the west and south are becoming saturated

Not much more

Sheriff Lopey is a good Sheriff... the county has a marijuana ordinance that will stay in effect regardless of any law changes potentially coming

No offense to the Weed resident.. we all see things differently

Lake Shastina probably has the nicest houses clustered... still way too dry for me

Last edited by notmeofficer; 09-19-2016 at 09:17 PM..

Old 09-22-2016, 02:05 PM

25 posts, read 17,678 times
You're absolutely right, we do see things differently. Living in Los Angeles was a nightmare, lived through a lot - even the Rodney King riots.

We were raising our daughter there and had to drive her to school which was only two blocks away because of all the dopers, prostitutes, gang bangers. Helicopters flying every night because they are chasing someone down. Nightmare traffic on the freeways, random shootings - in which case we got used to too and instead of driving by, we would take the side streets. Other types of murders were all we were seeing on the news - and this is only in Los Angeles...

We moved from Hollywood to Sherman Oaks, and the valley used to be a 'family' area but it just started getting worse as the years went by. Talk about hot, yes, the valley was incredibly hot, 105 - 110 during summer, and the thing was, even the nights were hot - temperature would go down only to 90 - 97 degrees. And dry, my goodness, so hot and dry that driving to work downtown made your face feel like the skin would peel off...

At least in Weed, we get hot days and cool nights.

After living in the nightmare of Los Angeles for over 30 years, it was - to me and my husband - a beautiful change. We can get up in the morning and go outside without worrying about getting shot. And when we celebrated our first New Year's Eve - we didn't have to worry about bullets coming through our ceiling from idiots shooting their guns off at midnight.

Even going to the market is a lot nicer here - no wannabe "homeless" people begging for money while following you to the car.

Anyway, as I said, you're right...we all see things differently.

AuntieK

Old 04-04-2020, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 174 times
I know this thread is almost 4 years ago but was wondering if Auntie Kolohe was still around and give me more updated information about living in Lake Shastina.
Thanks

Old 04-04-2020, 12:35 PM

67,632 posts, read 5,272,780 times
We spent a few days in Weed about 2 years ago, I liked it, but I do like small towns. People at the bowling alley were extremely friendly, & good food too.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:21 PM

1,309 posts, read 744,455 times
We stopped for gas once in the town of Weed, but don't remember much.

What I do remember is Dunsmuir, 18 miles south of Weed on the Five Freeway. Dunsmuir has a vibe like living back in the nineteen-twenties. Super amazing place, the only town to compete with Jerome, Arizona, but that is my opinion only and you might disagree.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:16 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,909,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
We stopped for gas once in the town of Weed, but don't remember much.
They say that weed can have that effect on folks . . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California