Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:13 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Run down, formerly-nice areas with break-ins and drug use being the big-deal crimes. I'm not dumping on Bellingham by any means - it does have its nicer parts, particularly Fairhaven. But Bellingham is more of a "settled down hippy's" kind of town, whereas Boulder is far closer to the yuppie end of the spectrum, which is why Issaquah is a nearer fit. However, coming from Colorado, the OP is going to find all of western Washington to be exceedingly expensive for home ownership.
B'ham and Pt Townsend are not exceedingly expensive for home ownership. They've very affordable for the OP. Weather might rule out western WA, though. Not sure if they have a strong preference weather-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 02:27 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Me too and don't overlook towns like Paradise. The only draw back there might be the lack of good restaurants. OP, you are looking for a lot. Property, for the most part will be higher in CA. How about someplace like Folsom Lake area. I realize this is an old post, but just thought I would throw a few suggestions in. If you are looking for the college town atmosphere as well,, your choices are going to be very limited. Someone has suggested Grass Valley, that would be a great choice. I don't think Placerville would have the vibe you seem to be hoping for, but it is an awesome little town. All the places I have mentioned will give you that middle of the road, political atmosphere.

You mentioned Redding and crime: don't put to much into studies and charts. they really mean almost nothing.
I haven't been to Paradise for a few years, but I have some cousins who live there and it always looked to me like the average age was around 78. Maybe ok if you want a really quiet place to retire but I'm 70 and can't imagine living there.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:58 PM

130 posts, read 213,553 times
If you want the snow along with nice winter days, but less expensive then boulder. Why not stay in Colorado and move to another town? I live in the front range and there are plenty of towns close by that are less expensive and cheaper?
boulder is expensive, shouldn't be hard to find a cheaper place in co.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:54 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,520 times
Manitou Springs, Colorado was my first thought.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I haven't been to Paradise for a few years, but I have some cousins who live there and it always looked to me like the average age was around 78. Maybe ok if you want a really quiet place to retire but I'm 70 and can't imagine living there.
Yes, there are a lot of seniors living there, but the demographics are changing. The school district is good, professors from the both Chico state and Butt community college are choosing to live in Paradise more and more. The outside activities never stop and for a variety Chico is only a few minutes away. I notice a few others on here have suggested Paradise. I would take it over places like Placerville any day. Now if someone is looking for a lot of night life, neither of these places would work too well

Old 02-21-2017, 09:05 PM

22 posts, read 23,732 times
I just have to say I'm amazed at how helpful people are, you all really take the time to try to help people figure things out. It's encouraging to read and made me feel I wanted to help too.

I'll add in a bit on a couple of towns not described much as I'm currently in AZ and formerly in CA (and considering were to head next myself).

Prescott, AZ - has gotten very overwhelmed in recent years with homeless and drugs; also, the weather can be much colder and much hotter than people describe and you are kind of stuck up there, not much to do. Nothing like Boulder IMHO.

Flagstaff, AZ - much more snow due to elevation, beautiful mostly in the summer and more like Boulder (though not as much to do maybe?); one of the few college like towns with true seasons.

Monterey Bay area (Santa Cruz, Carmel, Monterey, Seaside, Pacific Grove, Etc.) - in recent years, so much flooding and fires I personally wouldn't buy there right now. Also, the coast can be cold and grey more than one would think and for how expensive it is (probably out of your budget to purchase) and the traffic, I'd definitely rent before I'd buy. It's a wonderful place for vacationing

SF also can be cold a lot of the time and rainy and foggy. Of the area, maybe los gatos or los altos could be a bit like a town but not coastal places for the most part in that area. And San Luis Obispo has a very small airport (but an adorable town). Redding, CA for me as I considered it was too hot in summers and felt unsafe as a single female without a dog at the time. That's just me though and I've lived in the country and in NYC/Chicago and Phoenix. Redding was a little like Phoenix used to be to me (just a little). I do love the Shasta area but it's so far.

Ashland, OR just to note is also very far from major airports. Perhaps Eugene, OR, though the weather seems better in Ashland.

I'm heading to check out OR and WA this summer too to see how they feel, I may do half the year north and half south...considering options

Blessings!

Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingTime1102 View Post
UPDATE:

So we are still on the hunt for the perfect town for us. Since the original post we have visited Coeur d'Alene, ID (not a good fit culturally for us) and Steamboat Springs, CO (Steamboat is a place we love, but the weather[SO much snow] + Remote location[3.5 hours to airport] + Pricing[Similar to Boulder] won't work for us long-term). We would love any new input that the community can provide!

I would say in general we are looking for a place that meets the above criteria, but here are the MOST important things to us:
-Climate (we need sunny days & are not a fan of really gray winters)
-Amenities (we love small towns, but would like a place that has a restaurant scene outside of chain restaurants & coffee shops, etc.)
-We can deal with a remote place, but everything else (weather, pricing, amenities, etc.) would have to be on point.
-Pricing (we would like to be able to buy a 3 bedroom/ 2 bathroom house that is updated for under $500k.
-We really love mountains and it would be difficult for us to live in a place with a flat landscape.
-Culture (a place that is politically/religiously middle of the road or non-oppressive would be a place that we would fit in the best).

Again, I in no way want to offend anyone with my opinions. I would just REALLY appreciate the help & ideas!
Are you limiting yourself to western states? I can think of a lot of places east of the plains that easily fit your bill, and are mostly cheaper than the places you're looking at.

- Branson, MO
- Asheville, NC
- There are several college towns in the Shenandoah Valley of VA that sound like they fit your bill

You're almost certainly going to have to give up on one or two of your criteria in order to find a place that suits you.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:08 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Quote:
Since the original post we have visited Coeur d'Alene, ID (not a good fit culturally for us)
One other thought: I lived in Spokane, WA for 3 years in the late 90's. If you want something that's almost in Cd'A but is a little different culturally (and politically) then you could always go to the Washington side. A place like Liberty Lake might be a good compromise.

But if you don't like snow that's probably not a good area for you anyway.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,361 times
Default Big Bear Lake!

Quote:
UPDATE:

So we are still on the hunt for the perfect town for us. Since the original post we have visited Coeur d'Alene, ID (not a good fit culturally for us) and Steamboat Springs, CO (Steamboat is a place we love, but the weather[SO much snow] + Remote location[3.5 hours to airport] + Pricing[Similar to Boulder] won't work for us long-term). We would love any new input that the community can provide!

I would say in general we are looking for a place that meets the above criteria, but here are the MOST important things to us:
-Climate (we need sunny days & are not a fan of really gray winters)
-Amenities (we love small towns, but would like a place that has a restaurant scene outside of chain restaurants & coffee shops, etc.)
-We can deal with a remote place, but everything else (weather, pricing, amenities, etc.) would have to be on point.
-Pricing (we would like to be able to buy a 3 bedroom/ 2 bathroom house that is updated for under $500k.
-We really love mountains and it would be difficult for us to live in a place with a flat landscape.
-Culture (a place that is politically/religiously middle of the road or non-oppressive would be a place that we would fit in the best).

Again, I in no way want to offend anyone with my opinions. I would just REALLY appreciate the help & ideas!
Big Bear Lake! Paradise! We have lived there for seven years (actually in Fawnskin the tiny quiet town across the lake). Things we love: sunshine, lots of it year round (there is a solar observatory on the lake), precipitation comes mainly as snow (dumps 6-10" then sun shines), short winter November-March. Winter is even wonderful, usually not that cold and dry air makes it feel not so cold and because the sun shine most days, you are able to get out and enjoy it. Also the elevation, 6,800 ft means the sun is more intense and feels warmer. I.e. Shirt sleeves on the 50degree days in the winter. I love the pine trees and boulder landscaping! Also plenty of hiking (BB is near the pacific crest trail), fishing, skiing, restaurants. If the mountain doesn't have what you need then just 45 minutes down the mountain for that. 2 hours to LA or Palm Springs, 1 1/2 hours to Ontario Airport or 2 1/2 to Lax. Definitely check it out, it will be a nice vacation if nothing else. (March is the only month it's not perfectly lovely due to winter/spring transition).

Old 04-02-2017, 12:01 AM

23 posts, read 22,105 times
Sonora, or Twain Harte, CA.
Beautiful country and you can get quite a house for $600,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California