U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:56 PM

18,814 posts, read 30,109,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
I just returned from a roadtrip to your area. I specifically checked out Penryn, and found it quite attractive. However, I could have done without the 98/99 degree days that began the day I arrived and ended the day I left. hahahaaaa, Joke was on me.

What caught my ear was "Wheatland." Rather than drive home on 5 like usual, I decided to go up 99 to Red Bluff and then catch 5 the rest of the way. I wanted to check out Yuba city and Chico just because, but when I went through Wheatland, I was smitten. Of course, it was a quick pass through, but something about it was quite appealing. It seemed really possible but my only concern was its being in an agricultural area, which means spraying.

In fact, I took the back way out of Roseville and went all the way down Fiddyment to 65 and passing the dump, I really liked the feel of that area. Of course, All those new homes being built will soon encroach on the quiet country feel, but I'm not sure how far north the homes will creep. I'm probably deluding myself that they will stop at Fiddyment. Actually, I'm sure I'm deluding myself!

Anyway, to the OP, I find Semi's suggestions really good based on my own experience of the area. Wheatville is only 30 minutes from Roseville, and it seems traffic might not be as bad. ?? Hammonton and Smartsville, though, are an hour away from Roseville, so they're just within range. Roseville is so huge that it's a city in itself, so being close to Sac might not be necessary but an added bonus. As for Auburn, it reminds me of Lakeside, the good part, but still Lakeside-ish. The communities west of Auburn on 80 feel more like higher-end Santee. All are good; it depends what "feel" you're looking for.
You're right to wonder about the air quality being affected by agriculture in that area. When the rice fields are burned, you absolutely can't breathe. I am not asthmatic, but I used to live in Davis/Woodland, and have driven through that area many times. It's so bad, even when they're just plowing the massive fields, or harvesting the rice, let alone the burning, that even if you shut the vents in your car and turn off your a/c and close your windows in your vehicle, that you are gasping from the soil in the air, or the smoke. And that doesn't include the aerial spraying.

Anywhere in the valley will have worse air quality than the coast or the mountains, but that area in particular is really, really bad. And I speak from personal experience as someone who has lived in Sacto, Davis, Woodland, and spent time in Roseville in community theater there, and taking classes in Yuba City, and doing a lot of driving around that area. In other words, I'm not someone commenting on this who has never experienced the area personally, over many years.

It's bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 11:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,138,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Fillmore comes to mind.
OP, did you actually investigate Fillmore? You didn't comment. Checks all your boxes. A hour from Los Angeles. Here's a real estate sample:

Fillmore, CA Single Family Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Old 10-08-2016, 11:16 AM

98,532 posts, read 96,977,370 times
Quote:
OP, did you actually investigate Fillmore? You didn't comment. Checks all your boxes. A hour from Los Angeles. Here's a real estate sample:

Fillmore, CA Single Family Homes for Sale - realtor.com®
This sounded very intriguing, and amazing housing prices, until I looked it up on wiki:

This region experiences hot and dry summers. Temperatures can easily reach above 100 degrees .

Otherwise, it looks great! But this is why the population tends to cling to the coastline.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:13 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,138,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This sounded very intriguing, and amazing housing prices, until I looked it up on wiki:

This region experiences hot and dry summers. Temperatures can easily reach above 100 degrees .

Otherwise, it looks great! But this is why the population tends to cling to the coastline.
But OP requested, "would prefer to be away from the gloominess of the ocean."

And Fillmore actually sits on a river and is a short drive to the ocean (21 miles) but doesn't have an oceanic climate. It's really no hotter in summer than most areas around Los Angeles (like the San Fernando Valley, for example.)

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 10-08-2016 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-08-2016, 01:36 PM

6,118 posts, read 6,843,599 times
Quote:

And Fillmore actually sits on a river and is a short drive to the ocean (21 miles) but doesn't have an oceanic climate. It's really no hotter in summer than most areas around Los Angeles (like the San Fernando Valley, for example.)
I lived in Fillmore in the early to mid 80's, and enjoyed my time there. About the only thing I didn't like was the summer heat. It gets a bit warm, (yes, very similar to the Valley). Even nine miles closer to the ocean in Santa Paula was a lot cooler. Seemed like every weekend we'd make our way to Ventura for something or other. Wasn't much to do in Fillmore at that time. Might have changed.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-09-2016, 01:21 PM

98,532 posts, read 96,977,370 times
Quote:

True, true. I did notice it's on the river. It looks really nice, and it's certainly "undiscovered". I wonder how its fresh water supply is doing....

Old 10-09-2016, 03:11 PM

6,118 posts, read 6,843,599 times
Fillmore is roughly in the shape of a triangle, bounded on one side by the mountains/hills and the other two sides by "rivers". Neither would I classify as a 'real' river. In fact, one is called a creek, (i.e., Sespe Creek). The other is the Santa Clara River. But, honestly, the only times there is enough water flowing in them to be classified as a river is during and immediately after upstream rain storms. Which as we all know, in the past few years have been few. In years past, there have been flood events. Hopefully will never be an issue ever again because of the levees that have been constructed to protect the city. No telling with 'Mother Nature'. To me, 'humidity' and 'Fillmore' are two words I would not normally associate with each other.

Couldn't speculate on the potable water situation. There were only 9,000-10,000 people living there when I did. Just passed through yesterday after checking up on my sailboat in Oxnard and noticed the sign at the entrance to the city saying "Population 14,000".

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-11-2016, 05:28 PM

508 posts, read 537,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You're right to wonder about the air quality being affected by agriculture in that area. When the rice fields are burned, you absolutely can't breathe. I am not asthmatic, but I used to live in Davis/Woodland, and have driven through that area many times. It's so bad, even when they're just plowing the massive fields, or harvesting the rice, let alone the burning, that even if you shut the vents in your car and turn off your a/c and close your windows in your vehicle, that you are gasping from the soil in the air, or the smoke. And that doesn't include the aerial spraying.

Anywhere in the valley will have worse air quality than the coast or the mountains, but that area in particular is really, really bad. And I speak from personal experience as someone who has lived in Sacto, Davis, Woodland, and spent time in Roseville in community theater there, and taking classes in Yuba City, and doing a lot of driving around that area. In other words, I'm not someone commenting on this who has never experienced the area personally, over many years.

It's bad.
What great information, really useful, many thanks! There are so many things you can't know about a place because you don't know to ask. I wouldn't have considered air quality due to burning. They burn rice fields? Oh! I never knew that! It's like when I moved to my current property from having lived in the city all my life. I thought because I'd gone hiking in the local CA mountains that I knew some things about rural living. Oh, what a joke, what HUGE joke on me! Ya learn fast, though, and praise be to the gods that we'd had the sense to rent for 6 months before buying. We learned enough in that time to avoid buying next to burning rice fields.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:01 PM

104 posts, read 95,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxon View Post
I'm trying to find a town in California that meets all my criteria. Does it even exists? I'm not sure but would love everyone's input. Here is my wish list:

1. Needs to be away from the city but be near (no longer than 60 mins) the city.
2. Needs to have charm and perhaps a Main Street.
3. Needs to be safe.
4. Housing needs to be realitivly inexpensive. Preferably a small starter home under $500k.
5. Mild weather and would prefer to be away from the gloominess of the ocean.

This could be anywhere in California although reigning from southern I know this town does not exist down here but maybe there is a northern town that is under radar from everyone?!?!? I've been looking into Chico but does the crazy college kids ruin the family friendliness of the town? I welcome any responses even if it's to make fun of my crazy dream town.
I would say Chico meets 4/5 of those criteria, maybe 3/5 if you don't like hot summers.

1. The nearest city is Sacramento, which is ~80 miles away. I've driven down hundreds of times to drop off or pickup people from the airport, visit friends, etc. It's a 1 1/2 - 2 hours tops.

2. We definitely have a nice downtown area and it's getting nicer. There are some local business owners who have some interesting visions for new businesses and so they're developing some nice spaces. There are a growing number of nice restaurants, bistros, bars, boutiques, shops, etc all within about 5-6 blocks.

3. Chico's relatively safe. I have friends who seem to get real melodramatic about any kind of crime that's reported on the news, but they forget the news is a concentration of these kinds of things. Depending on where you live, there are plenty of safe neighborhoods to live in.

4. It's a seller's market up here, but you could find a great starter home in the $250K-300K range.

5. We top out in the 100's for a few weeks during the dog days of summer, but the winters tend to stay pretty mild. It's not very often that we have overnight lows where water can freeze, so from about October to May the weather's pretty nice as far as I'm concerned. June - September can be hot, especially in July and August where you'll regularly see triple-digit heat.

Also, the college kids are pretty self-contained, mainly occupying the south campus and west side. You'll see them out and about in the downtown area but it's not bad unless you're downtown at 2-3am on a weekend, and even then it's not horrible.

If you have any specific questions about Chico let me know, I grew up here so I know the town pretty well.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 AM

23,594 posts, read 35,575,288 times
Default Undiscovered town in California

I doubt there's an undiscovered town in the entire state. In fact, most have been discovered more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California