Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:45 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,379 times

Advertisements

Blacks might be leaving, but I can see Hispanics leaving also, especially ones that have the ability to do so. Latino families here of lower income mostly pile up in one small apartment or house and stay there forever. More middle class ones that can afford to move out of state will most likely do so in the coming years as they realize it's getting extremely difficult to get ahead in CA.

I know friends of mine that are married, but their parents stay with them or they still live with their parents because they simply cannot afford to move out on their own especially with kids in the picture. It's almost impossible to survive in CA biggest cities when you have multiple children and one person is working, or 2 people working low-mid level jobs because after you include rent and mortgage, you're talking high expenses for food, utilities, healthcare, transportation, clothing, school supplies and a host of other small expenses that add up fast.

I am surprised that Whites are leaving, because with all the gentrification going on in L.A., SD, and the Bay Area, those cities urban core will become whiter over the next several years as it's already happening in some area's more than others. Plus you add in our extremely ridiculously inflated housing market, Blacks and Latino's can't afford to buy a home here.

Poorer Latino's and Blacks are being priced out and pushed out, and when all the lower cost neighborhoods get snatched up by investors in the near future, they will too become too expensive for the average family to live in, therefore we will probably see more and more minorities leave the state.

CA is becoming too expensive not just for working class minorities, but also working class whites. Blue collar people will eventually see the light and leave for greener pastures. I really don't understand why so many Californians put up with the struggle and always barely making it by and feeling stuck. It's no way to live no matter how great this state is. There comes a time when people have had enough of it, and you'd think we would be losing people by the millions every year, but it hasn't happened so far, only by the thousands.

I see Whites taking over entire urban neighborhoods in every major city in the U.S., especially in CA in the next decade, while the poorer population will be pushed out into the suburbs.

Who wants to live in a overpriced coffin size condo anyways? Not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 04:57 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Blacks might be leaving, but I can see Hispanics leaving also, especially ones that have the ability to do so. Latino families here of lower income mostly pile up in one small apartment or house and stay there forever. More middle class ones that can afford to move out of state will most likely do so in the coming years as they realize it's getting extremely difficult to get ahead in CA.

I know friends of mine that are married, but their parents stay with them or they still live with their parents because they simply cannot afford to move out on their own especially with kids in the picture. It's almost impossible to survive in CA biggest cities when you have multiple children and one person is working, or 2 people working low-mid level jobs because after you include rent and mortgage, you're talking high expenses for food, utilities, healthcare, transportation, clothing, school supplies and a host of other small expenses that add up fast.

I am surprised that Whites are leaving, because with all the gentrification going on in L.A., SD, and the Bay Area, those cities urban core will become whiter over the next several years as it's already happening in some area's more than others. Plus you add in our extremely ridiculously inflated housing market, Blacks and Latino's can't afford to buy a home here.

Poorer Latino's and Blacks are being priced out and pushed out, and when all the lower cost neighborhoods get snatched up by investors in the near future, they will too become too expensive for the average family to live in, therefore we will probably see more and more minorities leave the state.

CA is becoming too expensive not just for working class minorities, but also working class whites. Blue collar people will eventually see the light and leave for greener pastures. I really don't understand why so many Californians put up with the struggle and always barely making it by and feeling stuck. It's no way to live no matter how great this state is. There comes a time when people have had enough of it, and you'd think we would be losing people by the millions every year, but it hasn't happened so far, only by the thousands.

I see Whites taking over entire urban neighborhoods in every major city in the U.S., especially in CA in the next decade, while the poorer population will be pushed out into the suburbs.

Who wants to live in a overpriced coffin size condo anyways? Not me.
Because in some cases there are other reasons. Some have businesses, family, friends, medical reasons, good paying jobs/careers and are basically entrenched. Someone like me for example

A lot of my family, friends and work are here. Not all of them but a lot. My work is steady and pays well. Looked at what the pay is in other areas and I would be taking basically about 1/3 paycut. That's huge money loss. Yes I know COL is higher here.

Also we have investments here can't just pack up and go. We would have to hire a management company, and as we have multiple rentals it would cost me a exorbitant amount of money to hire a PMC. We would have to sell everything (taking a possible huge financial bath). So right now even if we wanted to move it would cost a lot to get out. Will we do it? Yes eventually/probably. But it's going to take time in our case.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:05 AM

8,326 posts, read 6,417,109 times
Wait till Gavin Newsom or Kevin De Long get in as governor, this state will be unlivable.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:15 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
This line of inquiry makes more sense when it's couched in terms of educational attainment and lines of work.

Why are many whites and certain blacks leaving?

Because they didn't major in EE, CS, etc.

They majored in "jockorama" and partied (assuming they went to college at all). They were worried their friends would think they were geeks or uncool (or if from lower economic strata, they worried they would not be macho enough).

Meanwhile Mr. Geek from India and Ms. Geek from China are eating their lunch.

Any other questions?

Old 10-18-2016, 11:44 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,300,551 times
Your premise doesn't even come close to a realistic one.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:30 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Know quite a few that have left... most retired or had good jobs waiting.

Majority were able to cash out... can be a very good move if retired and not job dependant.

They were not fleeing... they left to be better off financially.

Many moved to areas that were familiar or where they had family.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:48 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareahillbilly View Post
this line of inquiry makes more sense when it's couched in terms of educational attainment and lines of work.

Because they didn't major in ee, cs, etc.

They majored in "jockorama" and partied (assuming they went to college at all). They were worried their friends would think they were geeks or uncool (or if from lower economic strata, they worried they would not be macho enough).

Meanwhile mr. Geek from india and ms. Geek from china are eating their lunch.

Any other questions?
this!

Old 10-23-2016, 12:38 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,506,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This line of inquiry makes more sense when it's couched in terms of educational attainment and lines of work.

Because they didn't major in EE, CS, etc.

Meanwhile Mr. Geek from India and Ms. Geek from China are eating their lunch.

Any other questions?
That is simplistic and insulting. The reason a net of over two million whites and blacks have left the state is primarily rooted in three things - the devolution of high value manufacturing, the closure of many military facilities and real estate cost. Much of the high tech manufacturing, aerospace and automobile manufacturing that drove the middle class communities in the Bay Area and Southern California slowly shut down over the past three decades. With that the ones who are of working age have left for nearby Western states and the South. The lower cost of living allowed them to offset the lower wages in lines of work they were familiar with. Those that were able to retire were tempted to cash out the massive equity in their modest suburban homes (as are those still of working age who owned homes). Their adult children usually followed since the California that offered such opportunities to their parents doesn't exist anymore.

Recent immigrants and their progeny often don't have this "I remember when things were better" mindset that middle and working class whites and blacks who were here for decades do. California is still so much better compared to their countries of origin that they're willing to put up with the high cost of living and sometimes many more people in the same living space. This applies to both skilled and unskilled immigrants and their US born kids/grandkids.

The things that enticed whites and blacks to move out of state also tempt Latinos and Asians once they either been here a period of time or several generations. The highly skilled and wealthier of any race will move here from other parts of the country and the world because they have the means to live here in a style they want.

Basically, the people moving out of California aren't necessarily doing so because they are stupid, unskilled or can't compete. Teachers, nurses, law enforcement and firefights are just as likely to leave over the increasingly high cost of living.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:50 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Or you could say they leave because they can get more for their money elsewhere...

Old 10-23-2016, 01:23 PM

782 posts, read 758,960 times
People move around, doesn't matter what color or ethnicity you are. Personal preference, family and often jobs dictate where people live or want to live, considering where many Asians and Indians come from, what they can get in their native country makes living in the US a luxury in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California