U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 2,854 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I who have been together for about five years now had made the decision a few months back that upon my college graduation we would be moving to California. We've visited on a few separate occasions for about two weeks at a time each, traveling from SF down to Huntington and we really loved all the different vibes of different areas.

He does construction and glazier work and I am graduating from design school for interior design, I've done my research and know that California has a great market for interior design, as does New York but honestly, having been born and raised here up until now, New York has just never been for me. We are both avid travelers and California is more our speed as far as lifestyle goes.

Now the question is... Where do we go in California. We've been looking From LA down to San Diego (I have never been to SD, he has). I like the Orange County area, particularly Irvine, and he loves SD. (I've looked into Irvine, Carlsbad, Newport, Huntington, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo) We'd be looking for a 1-2 bedroom apartment, about $1750 or so per month, and would like to be right in if not relatively close to town.

We're young and business oriented but we love to go out and always be doing something. We like to hike and go to the beach, prefer easy access to amenities - walking/biking distance to shops and parks. We're really looking for a complete change in lifestyle because NY unfortunately has nothing to offer us anymore.

Anyone lived in one or both areas and have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 02:49 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
First of all, don't call it "Cali" We live in California, NorCal, or SoCal.
I moved here from New York over 25 years ago, and have never looked back. it's a great place to live.

But here is the reality:

Apartment prices in Orange County have skyrocked, so you may have to pay a bit more than you budgeted for.

A lot of Construction Work has been relegated to low wage Mexican laborers. So unless your boyfriend has a top-notch craftsman skills, he will have a difficult time finding a good paying job. Interior Design is hit and miss. I have friends that are very good at residential interior design and struggling. You may want to look at Commercial Interior Design which you can still make a decent living.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 2,854 times
I apologize I didn't know Cali was an offensive term to someone not even from there.. lol but thank you for your negative comments. I'm well aware of the prices of apartments there, which is why we have set a budget that works for us, our needs, and our lifestyle. As far as jobs, or lack thereof, I'm very aware of the competition coming from New York. We know our skill sets and what we will or will not be able to do. I was looking for information on the areas themselves as I had stated. But thanks again.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:35 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
not being negative, just realistic. (and seriously, don't call it "Cali" or call Orange County "the" OC)

As a young couple, you will probably want to stay near the beach. Costa Mesa may be your best bet for Orange County. There are rentals in Huntington Beach, but you better have good credit and no pets. Most one bedrooms are going for $1900+. Just stay away from the area bounded by Beach, Slater, Gothard and Edinger (although the north side of Edinger being redeveloped)

Stay away from places like Stanton, Midway City, the east part of Garden Grove, the east part of Westminster, and be very careful in cities like Anaheim and Santa Ana.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:44 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,443,517 times
For work, you need to go where the money is: SF or LA. However, cost-wise, $1750 will definitely get you a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in San Diego. Of all of the California coast metros, SD has the lowest housing costs. Also, because San Diego is a smaller metro, getting to beaches or countryside is much easier. The trade off is the difficult job market.

Regarding glazier work, if this extends to windows and not just art glass, the people who are most likely to hire a glazier are those who have older, pre-WWII homes who value maintaining the authenticity of their homes. The highest proportions of those are in the SF area, followed by LA. San Diego has some older homes, but San Diego was a much smaller city prior to WWII.

Regarding the "Cali" thing, yeah, just don't do that. It's the equivalent of wearing white after Labor Day in NYC - where I have heard people get yelled at on the street for that particular fashion violation.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:01 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,342,091 times
If you're okay with New Yorky, folks here should be okay with Cali.
At any rate, you owe it to yourselves to travel from top to bottom and have a look around Sacramento and Gold Country.
It's a very varied state and what you thought you'd like in the beginning (without knowing much) will likely change by seeing places you may not have considered.
10 to 14 days of traveling around will give you more perspective.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 PM

266 posts, read 214,646 times
Go ahead and call it Cali all you want. Nobody outside this dumb forum even cares.
Go ahead and use Frisco instead of SF while your at it.

Be sure to check out the coast from Santa Cruz to ventura/Oxnard. Might be a less competitive market for your skills. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,431,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
Be sure to check out the coast from Santa Cruz to ventura/Oxnard. Might be a less competitive market for your skills. Good luck.
Perhaps not so good for the boyfriend's work, as most coastal cities have serious moratoriums on construction.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:07 AM

7,332 posts, read 4,441,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnl12 View Post
\I've looked into Irvine, Carlsbad, Newport, Huntington, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo) We'd be looking for a 1-2 bedroom apartment, about $1750 or so per month, and would like to be right in if not relatively close to town.
, m
We're young and business oriented but we love to go out and always be doing something. We like to hike and go to the beach, prefer easy access to amenities - walking/biking distance to shops and parks. We're really looking for a complete change in lifestyle because NY unfortunately has nothing to offer us anymore.

Anyone lived in one or both areas and have any advice?
All of the areas you've listed are pretty suburban areas, so I'm not sure they'll best match your desire to be "walking/bikiking distance to shops and parks" .

In San Diego County, areas matching what you're describing would be places like Little Italy, Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Point Loma, maybe La Mesa if you don't need to be right by the beach.

Be aware that the rental housing market is very competitive in San Diego County. Because they can afford to be choosey, most landlords here will want proof that you already have jobs lined up with enough income to afford the rent or savings sufficient to pay for several months of rent. My hunch is that Orange County, Los Angeles, and San Francisco will be similar.

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-20-2016 at 12:15 AM..

Old 10-20-2016, 12:13 AM

6,201 posts, read 6,361,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post

Regarding the "Cali" thing, yeah, just don't do that. It's the equivalent of wearing white after Labor Day in NYC - where I have heard people get yelled at on the street for that particular fashion violation.
I never hear of that one. I am sure I have done this before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or