Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:03 PM

90 posts, read 257,532 times

Advertisements

My husband just informed me that he has accepted a job in Chico. He was recruited for this position and he has only spent 2 days there (during the interview process). He didn't see much of the town.

We currently live in the Houston suburbs. I really like it here and truthfully, I don't want to leave. In the past, we have also lived in coastal Southern California and central Illinois. I have liked Houston the most of all the places we have lived.

I'm trying to be a supportive wife and figure out how to make the best of this thing. This job opportunity is fantastic for him and he's THRILLED, so I don't want to rain on his parade. I just need to know what to expect when I get there.

Are there any areas we should definitely avoid? What are the schools like? We have three children - 12, 9, and 5. We also have pets and want to live in a pet friendly area with a fenced yard (no apartments or townhouses/condos).

What is there to do besides kayaking, biking, and outdoor activities? My husband showed me some lovely "propaganda" videos for the area, and everything seems to be very tailored to outdoor activity. Truthfully, I'm much more of an indoor girl. I'm terribly worried that I won't fit in in Chico and I'm wondering what it's really like to live there. What neighborhoods should I look into? We are only able to afford maybe $320k or possibly we will be renting right now, as I won't be working right away.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 12:39 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,477,409 times
Chico is a lovely classic "college town" similar to what you would see in the Midwest in character. It has close to 100,000 people so its not a wide spot in the road. Due to the university there are a number of of small theater productions there plus a few local music venues. It is about a hour and a half from the nearest city of any size (Sacramento). Yes, its pretty much ideal for outdoor enthusiasts and won't have all the big city things Houston does, but its a very nice community where you can kind of relax a bit. I've known a number of people from the Bay Area and Southern California who went to Cal State Chico and after they graduated they'd do about anything to stay in the area. Also, the school district is pretty solid and I think you'll be satisfied there. A $320,000 budget will get you a nice home in a good neighborhood. There aren't any truly bad areas of Chico - just a spot here or there I'm sure your realtor can tell you about. I had a female coworker who lived in Houston for a few years and was carjacked and violently assaulted by three thugs. You really don't have to worry about that sort of thing nearly as much in rural NorCal.

Oh, and it has a Mediterranean climate - cool wet winters (50s-60s for highs) and hot dry summers (90s and 100s). While people in coastal California gripe about the valley's hot summers they're no hotter than Houston and have only about 15% to 25% humidity on any given day. In other words, its not sticky.

Chico's a nice small city that most people like. It will really grow on you if you give it a chance. Your quality of life (while subjective of course) is going to be a lot better there.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:51 PM

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your insights. The area where we live now is called Friendswood, and it is a very upscale, safe area with lots of great shopping and wonderful schools, so I'm not sure if the quality of life thing is definitely true or not. I literally don't even have to worry about locking my doors here...but I'm going to try to get excited about Chico. Sigh.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:26 PM

194 posts, read 504,124 times
In the 320K Range - you should be able to find a decent home in a nice neighborhood. I just moved to a new development on the north side of town (Sycamore Creek). New homes in upper 200s through 400s depending on lot size and location. Great neighborhood so far loaded with kids and young families. Lots are bit small for my taste though (I'm used to large acre lots). Easier to keep up I guess.

Neighborhoods on the north and east outskirts of town away from the college and downtown tend to be quieter. Downtown is vibrant for a town this size with lots of shops, farmers markets, and events - although it does draw panhandlers which is an issue most California downtowns face. The Laxson Theater at Chico State and the Sierra Nevada Big Room bring in some good performances for a town this small.

You say you're not outdoorsy - but Bidwell Park (one of the best urban parks in the country) just may change that.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:54 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,477,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novabrite View Post
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your insights. The area where we live now is called Friendswood, and it is a very upscale, safe area with lots of great shopping and wonderful schools, so I'm not sure if the quality of life thing is definitely true or not. I literally don't even have to worry about locking my doors here...but I'm going to try to get excited about Chico. Sigh.
Its obvious you don't want to move. That often comes with not being the one initiating the move. Try to keep an open mind about it. Sometimes change like this can turn into a big blessing that you didn't see coming before it happened. Just remember its not Houston and its unfair to compare it (natural reaction when you move). You're also going to go through a period of homesickness - also natural. Members of your family will pick up and feed off the emotion and reaction you give to the situation... especially kids. Just something to think about.

Seriously though, your husband could have done much, much worse as far as a transfer goes. Chico is a really pleasant small city with quite a lot to do given the the university. The people in far NorCal are very open, friendly and down to earth too. I think you'll be surprised by them. I lived in Des Moines Iowa for a time and the folks in Butte County, California are much friendlier despite Iowa's reputation for that.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:22 AM

7,673 posts, read 5,399,632 times
Quote:
Houston is 20% cheaper than Chico overall, with housing being about 29% more expensive in Chico.

Both have very hot summers, but Chico will be a dry heat while Houston is humid.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:11 AM

114 posts, read 110,621 times
Quote:
My husband just informed me that he has accepted a job in Chico. He was recruited for this position and he has only spent 2 days there (during the interview process). He didn't see much of the town.

We currently live in the Houston suburbs. I really like it here and truthfully, I don't want to leave. In the past, we have also lived in coastal Southern California and central Illinois. I have liked Houston the most of all the places we have lived.

I'm trying to be a supportive wife and figure out how to make the best of this thing. This job opportunity is fantastic for him and he's THRILLED, so I don't want to rain on his parade. I just need to know what to expect when I get there.

Are there any areas we should definitely avoid? What are the schools like? We have three children - 12, 9, and 5. We also have pets and want to live in a pet friendly area with a fenced yard (no apartments or townhouses/condos).

What is there to do besides kayaking, biking, and outdoor activities? My husband showed me some lovely "propaganda" videos for the area, and everything seems to be very tailored to outdoor activity. Truthfully, I'm much more of an indoor girl. I'm terribly worried that I won't fit in in Chico and I'm wondering what it's really like to live there. What neighborhoods should I look into? We are only able to afford maybe $320k or possibly we will be renting right now, as I won't be working right away.

Well, starting off with the obvious Chico is a lot smaller than Houston. As of the 2010 census we've been sitting around 87-88,000. We're an hour and a half north of Sacramento off of Highway 99. Some people see that as a good thing, others think it's bad. One of the most common observations I hear people make is that for it's size, Chico still has "small town charm". You'll find that the weather here is less "temperamental" than Houston. Winters are mild, we almost never see any snow here on the valley floor and temperatures tend to range from lows in the 30s to highs in the 50s. Summers can be blistering hot, especially from July until about mid-late September, with lows in the 70s and highs in the 100s or 110s. Spring and fall are nice, being a Tree City there's usually plenty of beautiful color lining the streets and in the park in October and November and then in March and April you get all kinds of flowers blooming on the green hillsides. Rainfall averages about 23-26", though with the exception of last winter, we haven't seen much which is why we've been in this nasty drought.

We're also a stones throw away from some nice vacation spots like Lake Almanor (about 1.5 hours east-northeast) or Lake Tahoe (about 3-4 hours south-southeast). Three hours from San Francisco and about 3-4 hours from the Oregon border.

Some neighborhoods are better to live in than others. I was raised on the east side of town and generally find it to be "safer", although overall crime isn't bad here. For $320K you guys can do pretty well if that's the budget you end up having to work with. I use this site here to keep an eye on the local housing market. The only neighborhood I would say stay away from is the South Campus area (which is between W. 2nd St to the north, Salem St to the east, W. 9th St to the south, and Walnut St to the west), and that's only because it's almost 100% university students, it would be a nightmare for a family of five to live in an area like that with all the noise late at night. Some neighborhoods to look into are California Park, The Avenues, Doe Mill, Nob Hill, and Big Chico Creek Estates.

My parents have lived in the same neighborhood for 25 years, there have been plenty of times where they left front doors unlocked, cars unlocked, garage doors wide open, and everything was fine. Some neighborhoods that might not be the case, but there are quite a few that are perfectly safe.

Schools in Chico are pretty good. There are a number of public elementary schools, some of the best (that I remember) being Sierra View, Little Chico Creek, Emma Wilson and Hooker Oak Elementary. Out of the three Jr. High Schools, Marsh is the newest and best with Chico Jr. being a close second, but I've not heard many good things about Bidwell Jr. High. Then with the two high schools there's Chico High which is right downtown and has been around the longest, and Pleasant Valley which is newer and located on the north side of town. Both are known for different things and have different reputations, but both are good schools.

You're right in that a big part of the lifestyle around Chico is outdoor activity, but it's not exclusively. Do you mean "indoor" as in you prefer to stay home and read or watch Netflix? Or by "indoor" do you mean you like shopping malls, boutiques and salons as opposed to hiking trails? Cause there's plenty of those here, so you wouldn't be lacking in that sense. There are plenty of great restaurants, bars (watch out for the "bro bars" though), and the arts and culture here do well. The local music scene is actually pretty great with a diverse range of talent from local bands to the North State Symphony, there are also museum exhibits and stage performances put on both by the university or the community. We also have a local summer wood bat baseball team made up of college players who come out this way to get get a feel for playing in the pros, plus Chico State has a good basketball team, baseball team as well as soccer, rugby, track and field, etc.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by Radaghast; 11-03-2016 at 12:24 AM..

Old 11-04-2016, 08:30 AM

Thank you for your helpful replies. I really mean it -- there's lots of good info here!

Radaghast, when I say I'm more of an indoor girl, I mean that I don't like to be anywhere with mud and bugs. Call me prissy if you will, but that's just how I feel. I grew up living on a farm, camping, and fishing. It's just not who I am anymore and I've already had my lifetime fill of it. I like shopping in boutiques and antique stores and flea markets on the weekends or upscale shopping centers for a fun treat. Where I live now, there's an amazing mall that is partially indoors and partially outdoors and has lots of upscale stores like Anthropologie, Kendra Scott, Nordstrom, Arhaus, Z Gallerie, etc. where I can browse for clothing, accessories, and housewares. I like dining out someplace nice or having a fun mixed drink at a trendy bar. When I'm not feeling like going out, I would prefer to stay home with a book or Netflix. Biking, kayaking, etc. are just not my thing...when I work out, I prefer it to be in an air conditioned gym.

I know this probably makes me sound terribly high maintenance or maybe even shallow to some, but it's just my preference and what I enjoy. It's not a judgment of others' choices, but I am sincerely afraid I won't find what I like in Chico. However, I will try to keep an open mind.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:59 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,526,705 times
Quote:
Thank you for your helpful replies. I really mean it -- there's lots of good info here!

Radaghast, when I say I'm more of an indoor girl, I mean that I don't like to be anywhere with mud and bugs. Call me prissy if you will, but that's just how I feel. I grew up living on a farm, camping, and fishing. It's just not who I am anymore and I've already had my lifetime fill of it. I like shopping in boutiques and antique stores and flea markets on the weekends or upscale shopping centers for a fun treat. Where I live now, there's an amazing mall that is partially indoors and partially outdoors and has lots of upscale stores like Anthropologie, Kendra Scott, Nordstrom, Arhaus, Z Gallerie, etc. where I can browse for clothing, accessories, and housewares. I like dining out someplace nice or having a fun mixed drink at a trendy bar. When I'm not feeling like going out, I would prefer to stay home with a book or Netflix. Biking, kayaking, etc. are just not my thing...when I work out, I prefer it to be in an air conditioned gym.

I know this probably makes me sound terribly high maintenance or maybe even shallow to some, but it's just my preference and what I enjoy. It's not a judgment of others' choices, but I am sincerely afraid I won't find what I like in Chico. However, I will try to keep an open mind.
You'll be able to find what you like in Chico, I think, and if you yearn for more Sacramento and even SF are fairly easy day trips from Chico. For a city of 100k people there's a surprising amount of culture, shopping, etc. Bugs are pretty much a non issue in Chico because it's so dry and as long as you have AC summers are bearable. Even low to mid 90s in Chico aren't bad because of the dry climate and highs in the 100s-110s usually only happen a handful of times a year. There are a LOT of trees in Chico as well that really help with the summer heat. There's a lot to like about Chico and keeping an open mind is highly encouraged. Trust me when I say you could do a lot worse than Chico

Old 11-04-2016, 11:43 PM

114 posts, read 110,621 times
Quote:

No problem.

Chico has a fair amount of shopping choices from local boutique stores downtown to the main mall on the south side of town. The mall has a few department stores, though full disclosure: I haven't been inside it in years, malls aren't my thing. They do indeed have a JC Penny, Forever21, Sears and Dick's Sporting Goods as anchor stores and inside they have more like American Eagle, Aeropostale, Buckle, Francesca's (which I understand started out as a Houston boutique), etc. It's not a huge mall but there are some decent stores in there, you can see the full list here.

If you want to go to some of the higher end department stores the Roseville Galleria mall is about an hour and a half away, people here will take a day and go down there all the time. If you and your family ever take a day trip or weekend trip to the Bay Area there's obviously shopping there but there are also outlets in Vacaville (like Nike) that are sometimes worth checking out.

For what it's worth, the "outdoorsiness" of Chico is a pretty diverse experience, it doesn't always include "mud and bugs". Lower Bidwell Park has paved walking paths that people walk and run on all the time. The scenery's beautiful here, so whenever you feel like fresh air it's nice to get out and enjoy it without feeling like you're slogging through the bayou.

Keep your chin up, you might yet like it here. You may even find that whatever reputation you've heard about Chico so far isn't the whole story. I've met a lot of folks who have moved here and enjoyed it immensely, even though they came from upper-crust areas like Orange County, San Diego and the Bay Area. Chico's a friendly town, all kinds of people fit in here - whether you're conservative or liberal, hippie or yuppie, stock broker or nonprofit organizer. It's a pretty welcoming town, just try not to overthink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California