Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 12:15 AM

371 posts, read 337,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Isn't high speed rail a pet project of the left?

Id say so. It is yet to contribute hugely to debt....right? Anyway if it works as intended it will do a lot to fix the craziness that is the bay area rental market...I think.(Which is partly due to speculation)

Im talking of water deals to corporations, delivered in infrastructure paid for by taxpayers. Subsidies, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 06:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The city of L.A. doesn't need to exist, because many services are provided by the county of L.A. not the city and those provided by the city are inferior to those provided by the county and by other cities in L.A. County.

If the city of L.A. is dissolved it would be a net plus in the long run
This is a good point , the politicians at LA city hall haven't been doing the taxpayers any favors .
They have proven they are unable to manage a city that is so big and sprawling . The best thing for citizens would be to start over and have the existing city broken up into several independent cities .

Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is a good point , the politicians at LA city hall haven't been doing the taxpayers any favors .
They have proven they are unable to manage a city that is so big and sprawling . The best thing for citizens would be to start over and have the existing city broken up into several independent cities .
Now that would be interesting.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:58 AM

406 posts, read 348,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Now that would be interesting.
It's been tried. SFV tried to secede in the 70's and then in 2002.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
It's been tried. SFV tried to secede in the 70's and then in 2002.
I lived in the SFV in the 70's. Then main issue as In remember it was the cost for a whole new City Council, Fire dept, etc 0lus a City Hall, etc and ..... nothing really to be seen for the cost.

Where I live now a similar action was tried and for the above reasons no one wanted to do it.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:02 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How about we do something smart and reduce legal immigration to balance out the illegals.
Sounds good to me. I've yet to hear any politician give me one good reason why we still need people flooding into the U.S., especially with such a low labor participation rate and low wages due to an excessively high labor pool, coupled with a high cost of living.

Or if we're going to admit any further people of working age into the U.S., I support an H-1B visa program to replace our over-payed politicians with foreigners who will legislate at 1/3 the current salary.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:14 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,742 times
If I ever get a dog, I'm going to name him Barron.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Sounds good to me. I've yet to hear any politician give me one good reason why we still need people flooding into the U.S., especially with such a low labor participation rate and low wages due to an excessively high labor pool, coupled with a high cost of living.

Or if we're going to admit any further people of working age into the U.S., I support an H-1B visa program to replace our over-payed politicians with foreigners who will legislate at 1/3 the current salary.
THis is interesting and may be encouraging:

Carrier Says it has Deal with Trump to Keep Jobs in Indiana | Industrial Equipment News

Maybe something to help CA too?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post

O

Because CA is so indebted that there aren't enough workers in the universe to kept it from a looming default. It's not just CA but lots of unionized states. That's why CA "thrid world-ed" itself. CA and a few other states will become insolvent if the stock market has a large correction. And it's not if, it's when that happens. It was reported recently CA alone will owe close to a trillion now.

This is why massive amounts of retiree's take their money and bolt out of the state. But the reality is the whole country is affected and that's why all these sanctuary cities roll out the red carpet for low educated, low skilled. A rickety boat sinks everyone, but might be able to make it from Cuba to Florida is their econ philosophy.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Hard to fathom no matter what happens economically that the Sun will not come up the next morning...

Farmers will still be farming and fisherman still fishing...

Not saying things can't get bad... people have been counting California out for a long time now... I remember reading the book the Late Great State of California and that book came out 40-50 years ago???

Also, 1984 has come and gone... so has peak oil, the population bomb, global cooling... etc... does make for a lot of book sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California