Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 02:21 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,536,471 times

Advertisements

Okay so I used to use the plastic bags to line my small trash can under the sink, so now I just buy them? Sooooo... I'm still using plastic bags then right? Is there an alternative? Are people just throwing their garbage in the bin without a liner?

I also used to use them to scoop the unflushable cat litter into them... um so I'm going to just buy plastic bags again? I'm a little confused... I mean they will still be selling the plastic bags in stores right? Sooo... I'm going to buy plastic bags for the the things I used to use the plastic bags I used to get for free from the store?

I get the using reusable bags for shopping...
OBTW, what about paper bags? Are they charging for those? (no I haven't been to a regular store yet where I would get the occasional paper bag)

Ideas for my first world problem? So just buy the plastic?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 06:46 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
The whole plastic bag ban is a typical liberal response to a problem. Everyone I know reuses the bags for things like small trash bin liners, etc. So, now, you have to buy bags for the same purpose. Seriously....you just wonder.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:19 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Okay so I used to use the plastic bags to line my small trash can under the sink, so now I just buy them? Sooooo... I'm still using plastic bags then right?
You have a limited view of why single use plastic bags have been banned from grocery stores. It was not about what happens to be convenient for you.

When seabirds smell plastic in the ocean, they think it's time to eat - LA Times

Old 11-15-2016, 07:22 AM

149 posts, read 226,325 times
Those of you now paying for bags, have you realized that folks using EBT cards still get them for free? Enjoy!

Old 11-15-2016, 07:40 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You have a limited view of why single use plastic bags have been banned from grocery stores. It was not about what happens to be convenient for you.

When seabirds smell plastic in the ocean, they think it's time to eat - LA Times
As I and others will tell you (didn't you bother to read other comments?), they aren't single use. I reuse them as should everyone; otherwise, I'll just have to buy them. Luckily, I can still get them where I live.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
As I and others will tell you (didn't you bother to read other comments?), they aren't single use.
They are, however, meant to be used only once. And there are plenty of other threads here on how you might be able to possibly manage your life without them.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...c-bag-ban.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...eferendum.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...stupidity.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...e-plastic.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...uld-first.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...-repealed.html

Last edited by CA4Now; 11-15-2016 at 09:17 AM..

Old 11-15-2016, 09:05 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times
Not so fast, there are still more than 5 million votes left unaccounted in state of California. Therefore the results are not ratified until all those votes are counted. The target date is December 19, 2016. Many of these are from more conservative sections of the state. As the election results for this and some other propositions are very close with 52% yes and 48% no the final results could still change. In reality in every grocery store in the state where shoppers are giving a choice by the clerk they almost always vote for plastics or at least 95% of them. Even in supermarket locations at the most liberal parts of the state there is not much difference in consumer choice on this matter. Unless we can confirm that all these customers never bothered to vote this election. Its still too soon to jump to conclusions. I really wish to shout at the media to hold their horses.

A lot of these radical eco group statements which the democrat lawmakers and the media brainlessly buy lacks any sense what so ever nor does it reflect any real environmental science. I lived in San Jose and Bay Area and can tell you the ban is just an environmental nightmare there. Now grocers are packaging their products in much more plastic than they used before the ban, grocery stores already have alot of plastics inside their aisles, carryout bags are nothing compared to them. And people often don't bag their garbage or use paper, thick plastic, or bin liners that doesn't stay tied and fly away when garbage is collected In the end you have hundreds more scrap plastics everywhere. Whats good about getting rid of one carryout bag but have hundreds more plastics floating around. Or replacing one carryout bag with much larger thin filmed bin liners that blow away much more easily. Like of sea critters will only eat checkstand carryout bags but not all those other plastic film. Also now thanks to Baggamaddon California's waste facilities would see an overwhelming tsunami of millions of wasted carryout bags as supermarkets suddenly have no use for them anymore but no where else to send them to.

Also paper and reusables costs more pollution to make, wash, maintain, and dispose of, and depletes natural resources. Not to mention much more polluting emitting trucks needed to transport them.

Resources

Environment Focus Of Gov. Brown’s Mexico Trip « CBS Los Angeles
Comprehensive study on carrier bags by the UK environmental Agency
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...11buan-e-e.pdf
This articles explains truthful comprehensive data data from BEACON EIR, Los Angeles department of works, LA bureau of Sanitation County of San Mateo Planning and building department, on the impact on the pre ban and post ban based on data from juristications that passed such ordinance compared
with juristications that have not.
https://fighttheplasticbagban.files....rol-litter.pdf

Old 11-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Not so fast, there are still more than 5 million votes left unaccounted in state of California. Therefore the results are not ratified until all those votes are counted. The target date is December 19, 2016.
And in which precincts might those votes be?

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/res...le-use-bag-ban

https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...ferendum_(2016)

Old 11-15-2016, 01:19 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times
Many of these are mail in ballots. Its undeniable that voters are much more likely to do their homework for mail in ballots compared to those who fill out their ballots hastily at polling stations. In fact the figure does not even include places like San Diego County and in that county alone there are more unaccounted ballots(about 600,000) than counted ballots. in fact About 60% of ballots in San Diego county haven't even been counted.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:55 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,614,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
As I and others will tell you (didn't you bother to read other comments?), they aren't single use. I reuse them as should everyone; otherwise, I'll just have to buy them. Luckily, I can still get them where I live.
We reuse them as well, but I'd be lying if I said we reused all of them or anywhere close to all of them. It's probably a 1:4 ratio with one being reused and four going in the trash. They just give you too many bags at the grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California