U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2017, 01:27 AM
 
3,605 posts, read 3,256,438 times
Reputation: 1525

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post
The real line should be around Chico or Marysville-Butte and just draw a straight one from Nevada border to the Pacific.

I've had this feeling for some time now that there are people up in Sacramento and business people that have their sites set on NorCal and are trying to figure out how to exploit it. Everything from the water and natural resources to just the simple fact that there is a lot of empty space up there.

Just putting that out there...

Oh, and remember this...just because you live in Yreka, Alturas, Weaverville, Anderson or whatever little out of the way place and don't think that anyone cares about you or what's going on in your little town... as long as you live within the confines of California's borders you are still subjected to everything that comes out of Sacramento.
You do know that "everything that comes out of Sacramento" has little to do with Sacramento, rather it has almost everything to do with the monied and powerful folks in the Bay Area and Los Angeles.

Almost every single powerful politician or lobbyist represents the interests of the folks in the SF Bay Area and Los Angeles, not Sacramento. We just get all the blame.

Sacramento might as well be another Weaverville or Yreka in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2017, 01:36 AM
 
3,605 posts, read 3,256,438 times
Reputation: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post
The real line should be around Chico or Marysville-Butte and just draw a straight one from Nevada border to the Pacific.

I've had this feeling for some time now that there are people up in Sacramento and business people that have their sites set on NorCal and are trying to figure out how to exploit it. Everything from the water and natural resources to just the simple fact that there is a lot of empty space up there.

Just putting that out there...

Oh, and remember this...just because you live in Yreka, Alturas, Weaverville, Anderson or whatever little out of the way place and don't think that anyone cares about you or what's going on in your little town... as long as you live within the confines of California's borders you are still subjected to everything that comes out of Sacramento.
Sacramento is more aligned with the upper reaches of NorCal than SoCal because we have always identified ourselves as a Northern California town.

California is big state, and Sacramento is located in the northern 1/3 of the state. 2/3 of California lies south of Sacramento.

Sacramento is closer to Redding than Fresno. Sacramento is closer to Yreka than Bakersfield. Sacramento is closer to Eureka than Santa Barbara. Sacramento is closer to Crescent City than Los Angeles. Sacramento is closer to many places in Southern Oregon than Orange and San Diego Counties. Sacramento is closer to Brookings, Ashland, and Klamath Falls, Oregon than Laguna Beach and San Diego.

Sacramento has always been a NorCal town just as much as any of the other Central Valley NorCal towns that border the Sacramento River like Redding and Red Bluff.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-06-2017 at 01:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2017, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
6,706 posts, read 6,161,910 times
Reputation: 3412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Not familiar with this... are you talking about mosquito spraying in the summer or something? I don't recal a skeeter problem up there.
Or you're not talking about "chem trails" are you??
I think he's talking about the cloud seeding that occurs in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2017, 03:43 AM
 
Location: Oroville, California
2,660 posts, read 3,498,457 times
Reputation: 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento is closer to Redding than Fresno. Sacramento is closer to Yreka than Bakersfield. Sacramento is closer to Eureka than Santa Barbara. Sacramento is closer to Crescent City than Los Angeles. Sacramento is closer to many places in Southern Oregon than Orange and San Diego Counties. Sacramento is closer to Brookings, Ashland, and Klamath Falls, Oregon than Laguna Beach and San Diego.

Sacramento has always been a NorCal town just as much as any of the other Central Valley NorCal towns that border the Sacramento River like Redding and Red Bluff.
Sacramento is marginally closer to those the cities you mentioned (vs the others). Like that 9 miles closer to Redding than Fresno makes a difference. Regardless, Sac is barely a "NorCal" type place. To me its always been the dividing line more than "in it". When I hit the 99/70 split off I-5 heading north I feel like I'm in my home turf. Basically, I need to get out of Sacramento first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2017, 08:01 AM
 
3,605 posts, read 3,256,438 times
Reputation: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Sacramento is marginally closer to those the cities you mentioned (vs the others). Like that 9 miles closer to Redding than Fresno makes a difference. Regardless, Sac is barely a "NorCal" type place. To me its always been the dividing line more than "in it". When I hit the 99/70 split off I-5 heading north I feel like I'm in my home turf. Basically, I need to get out of Sacramento first.
Your attempts to diminish are pathetic. I purposely picked cities that that were marginally closer vs the others, so one could see that cities to the north are actually closer to Sacramento than you think or are at the bare minimum equidistant.

Sacramento is the Northern most largest metro over 500,000-1,000,000 and it sits in the northern most 1/3 of the state.

Sacramentans have always identified themselves as Northern Californians as have Bay Areans and Sacramento is 100 plus miles FURTHER NORTH than many Bay Area locations.

Your perception is off, Sacramento is by far more NorCal than ANY location south of it; which is like 95% of the states population.

When you get into Sacramento after driving 99 or I-5, from Bakersfield, Fresno, or LA or any point that is further south I know and feel like I've arrived in Northern Cal, in fact, I feel this way when I hit Stockton.

If I'm driving up the 101 from LA or San Luis Obispo, when I hit San Jose I know and feel like I've definitely arrived in NorCal. Even gang members as far south as San Jose call themselves NORtengos for a reason.

Hundreds of business in Sacramento describe themselves as being in Northern California as do business as far south as San Jose, Santa Cruz or Stockton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2017, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Oroville, California
2,660 posts, read 3,498,457 times
Reputation: 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Your attempts to diminish are pathetic.
"Pathetic"? Seriously? First of I'm not diminishing Sacramento. Its just not North State as I live and experience it. Sacramento isn't "Jefferson" is what I'm saying. If you want to play games with driving times the distance from Sac to Chico would put you somewhere between Modesto and Turlock in the San Joaquin Valley if you headed south. It is a north/central dividing line.

I was born in Paradise. I'm a native to this part of the state. My entire family looks at the rice fields north of Sacramento as where the far end of NorCal begins (again, as we live it - not talking about you).

Seriously dude, you need to chill. Never seen anyone so quick to get their hackles up over a place or so quick to run another area down over it. Sacramento isn't Eden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2017, 06:33 PM
 
3,605 posts, read 3,256,438 times
Reputation: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
"Pathetic"? Seriously? First of I'm not diminishing Sacramento. Its just not North State as I live and experience it. Sacramento isn't "Jefferson" is what I'm saying. If you want to play games with driving times the distance from Sac to Chico would put you somewhere between Modesto and Turlock in the San Joaquin Valley if you headed south. It is a north/central dividing line.

I was born in Paradise. I'm a native to this part of the state. My entire family looks at the rice fields north of Sacramento as where the far end of NorCal begins (again, as we live it - not talking about you).

Seriously dude, you need to chill. Never seen anyone so quick to get their hackles up over a place or so quick to run another area down over it. Sacramento isn't Eden.
Maybe you are being a bit too provincial; think in terms of the whole state. Sacramento is certainly more "North State" as I live and experience it when talking to friends in family in Fresno, LA, San Diego.

Nobody is playing games, Sacramento is closer to all those NorCal cities I posted. Its a fact, weather it fits your discriminatory definition of what is north or what is south or not. Sacramento is closer to every major NorCal location than anywhere else south of it. It doesn't matter that we maybe as close to Modesto as Chico; we are still closer to Chico than Turlock by twice the amount more or less. When have I ever said Sacramento is Eden, Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2017, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Oroville, California
2,660 posts, read 3,498,457 times
Reputation: 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Maybe you are being a bit too provincial; think in terms of the whole state. Sacramento is certainly more "North State" as I live and experience it when talking to friends in family in Fresno, LA, San Diego.

Nobody is playing games, Sacramento is closer to all those NorCal cities I posted. Its a fact, weather it fits your discriminatory definition of what is north or what is south or not. Sacramento is closer to every major NorCal location than anywhere else south of it. It doesn't matter that we maybe as close to Modesto as Chico; we are still closer to Chico than Turlock by twice the amount more or less. When have I ever said Sacramento is Eden, Never.
No, you just go into a cut-and-paste, video posting frenzy every chance you get when a subject comes up that can be remotely derailed into a Sac booster thread (or a put down thread for points south of there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2017, 03:49 PM
 
3,605 posts, read 3,256,438 times
Reputation: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
No, you just go into a cut-and-paste, video posting frenzy every chance you get when a subject comes up that can be remotely derailed into a Sac booster thread (or a put down thread for points south of there).
I have never derailed a thread. I post appropriate data, video, comments that are applicable to the premise of the thread based on the OP's original posts. I can't help it if certain people can't stand it when I post good things about Sacramento or if my posts don't fit their outdated and erroneous stereotypes. BTW, the videos I posted about Sacramento were made by other people and not one of them says that Sacramento is eden. The only reason I think it bothers you so much is you can't stand to see people say good things about Sacramento which is really really weird.

I mean if you want to post facts about Oroville or wherever it is you live; fine; as long as it is appropriate to the thread. If I don't like what you post simply because I may or may not like you or I may or may not like Oroville I still don't feel compelled to make nasty comments about you or try to diminish your posts in some way.

Generally, when I make a post it's not for you, it's for people who know little about Sacramento or for people who are told false, exaggerated or erroneous information.

Speaking of this thread, it was not until this year that I learned Redding's average rainfall is 35 inches a year. I never knew it was that much. It makes sense considering the Sacramento Valley is actually in a different climate zone than the San Joaquin Valley - Bakersfield's average rainfall is just over 6 inches a year.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-10-2017 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2017, 03:01 AM
 
193 posts, read 67,407 times
Reputation: 258
Haven't seen any chemtrails lately. Coinkydink? Just natural "looking" clouds when the rain disperse. None of those trails and weird misty clouds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top