Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 05:05 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
How can 11,000 property tax be insanely low for a 1725 square foot East Oakland Home?
Because the house is valued at 500-600k, and voters wanted special taxes added.

There are parts of the country that pay that for homes worth 380k.

High taxes are just a reality in heavily urbanized places, that are considered desirable.

Lower tax burdens occur in states that are less populated. And they give most of their taxes to their larger cities.
For example, Portland has most of the amenities, while most of rural Oregon does not have basic things like tier 1 trauma centers. You might call the Sheriff/fire dept and it could take them an hour to get there. You could get summoned for jury dury to a town an hour away on rural roads. High chools do not have pools, high caliber fields, and science labs that reflect 21st century standards.

I'm not saying we shouldn't cut waste or tax people into oblivion. But fewer taxes usually means fewer amenities provided by tax payers. And less upkeep of amenities. Look at Bart, years of tax payer hostility thinking Bart should operate on late 90's budget model. They finally voted for taxes when the head of the agency stated the system was beyond it's lifespan and falling apart.

California has enough fiscal conservatives to prevent most 2/3 votes for special taxes. So much so that places like Placer County can't even get a vote to fix roads. Enough voters would rather it turn to cobble stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 09:40 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Thank you for saying East Oakland is desirable... I grew up here and never heard that before until recently... if you call the police because your car or house has been broken in you will be directed to file a report online.

Property tax is 50% higher in Oakland than 10 minutes away in Castro Valley... which has a beautiful High School Campus with Performing Arts Center, Pool, Football Field and the Sheriff does repond...

It' not always about money when it comes to amenities...

Old 11-25-2016, 10:06 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Don't complain about CA being expensive or having an inequality problem, then.
I don't, I recognize reality
Quote:
Prop 13 has nothing to do with taxes? You must be high.
I did not say it had nothing to do with taxes, just that it is a good tax arrangement that does not drive people out of their homes due to escalating property tax.
Quote:
High property taxes work as a ceiling on property values.
No it makes it just as hard or harder for people to buy because their monthly payment will be very high. It won't drop as ... cash buyers would buy them up and the prices would then... escalate. You cannot buy cheap in any desireable area of CA. Price increase is based on demand not wishful thinking.
Quote:
The tax revolt should have gone after sales taxes rather than property taxes, that would help the economy more and create more jobs.
The lack of a sales tax is one reason why Oregon is better than California.
No, as the fast rise in property taxes were driving people out of their homes, because home prices were waaayyyyy higher than normal inflation would cause and the elderly suffered the most as they were on a more fixed income and stood to lose their homes. You obviously have not been around long enough to see the reality. Sales tax takes less from most people than a huge increase in property tax.
Example was my step father. Retired on a fixed income). Bought his home in 1970 and paid about $600.00 in property taxes a year before he died. He would be paying well beyond $6,000.00 now and that is far beyond what he was paying in sales taxes. He would lose his home and at 98 that can be a bit tough.

CA has a tax and fee problem, and the source is where it is going. Lousy spending like the wasteful High Speed Rail, a feel good deal especially for politicians and contractors who donate to them.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:17 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Higher taxes is good. The alternative is private user fees on everything which hits the 99% right in the gut. Taxes raise money in a progressive manner. Privatized user fees on the other hand means that the old widow on $8 000 social security pays the same in tolls on every road as the billionaire. Most Californians seem to understand this. Ideally, CA should increase taxes to guarantee cheap child care for all Californians regardless of income, no means testing, everyone pays and every family benefits. Making it easier to combine work and family is crucial if CA is to stay competitive.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:29 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
What is wrong with user fees... shouldn't the users pay?

Property owners are not ATM machines.

We are talking about the roof over a person's head and property tax goes to the heart of the matter... it is a tax for simply being...

Income tax requires income and sales tax requires a transaction to occur...

Why should someone that has never attended a sporting event pay a property taxes to support athletes and owners earning more in a month than most will see in a lifetime?

BART is another example... I live within in walking distance from work... how exactly is it fair my property tax is now saddled with a open ended 48 year parcel tax?

The only fair solution is for those using these services pay the freight for the ongoing operation...

As a resident of Oakland I have the good fortune to pay double for the Raiders Stadium expansion and no one in my family has ever been to a Raider's game and the real insult is Raider's ownership never misses a chance to give ultimatums on moving out... leaving the taxpayers in worse shape.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
What is wrong with user fees... shouldn't the users pay?

Property owners are not ATM machines.

We are talking about the roof over a person's head and property tax goes to the heart of the matter... it is a tax for simply being...

Income tax requires income and sales tax requires a transaction to occur...

Why should someone that has never attended a sporting event pay a property taxes to support athletes and owners earning more in a month than most will see in a lifetime?

BART is another example... I live within in walking distance from work... how exactly is it fair my property tax is now saddled with a open ended 48 year parcel tax?

The only fair solution is for those using these services pay the freight for the ongoing operation...

As a resident of Oakland I have the good fortune to pay double for the Raiders Stadium expansion and no one in my family has ever been to a Raider's game and the real insult is Raider's ownership never misses a chance to give ultimatums on moving out... leaving the taxpayers in worse shape.
You will offend many Extreme Progressive Liberals who think taxing people is good. Reasonable taxes for good service to EVERYONE is fine. Taxes to benefit a few is .... well I watch my language here.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:27 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Thank you for saying East Oakland is desirable... I grew up here and never heard that before until recently... if you call the police because your car or house has been broken in you will be directed to file a report online.

Property tax is 50% higher in Oakland than 10 minutes away in Castro Valley... which has a beautiful High School Campus with Performing Arts Center, Pool, Football Field and the Sheriff does repond...

It' not always about money when it comes to amenities...
I nevet said Oakland was desirable, where did I say that?

Castro Valley is a small suburb with a higher income tax base. They are unincorporated and depend on the county for services. Oakland is a much larger city, with way larger tax obligations. Or do you expect the port, airport, several bart lines, and pro sports venues to pay for itself?????

Old 11-25-2016, 02:10 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The states that don't have income tax, just tax in other ways.
But the big difference is that in those states you have a choice in how much you want to participate in those taxes.

Meaning if you don't want to pay high property taxes due to purchasing an expensive property..then you buy a less expensive home.

In CA we don't get to exercise these options.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:17 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Yeah I was one of those people (earn over 100k, voted "yes" on Prop 55). Even though my income is "high" (According to you), there is a near-zero chance it will ever reach $250k. If it does, I'll be happy to chip in a bit more.

100k is not "high" in California. In the coastal metros it is just a basic middle class income.

Only about 4% of Californians earn higher than 250k, while about 12% (three times as many) earn between 100k and 250k. Why would it surprise you that these groups' interests don't align?
I think it's a lousy system to allow people who don't earn 250K to vote on taxing those who do. Of course those earning less would vote for it, after all it will never affect them just as you yourself have professed.

CA government is inept, wasteful and inefficient with money. There are plenty of examples of the waste and total corruption seen in this state with tax money.

Sure just go ahead and throw more money into this poorly run system.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:36 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
There are not enough hi income voters to make q difference. The Rich like it because it makes it harder for others to become rich and the poor like it since they do not pay it. The Middle class gets the shaft.
Yep, this is true. My husband earns a very good wage and we are the ones who dearly pay. Sadly ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California