Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,431 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in Crescent City, and a teenager at Del Norte High School. I'm currently looking for a part-time job; are there any businesses who can hire?

Facts about me:
GPA: 4.0+
Grade: 9th
Work Experience: None.

I am willing to learn, and do my best for any job. I want to get work as early as possible, so I can save up money for college. Any information would be helpful. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 05:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAragones View Post
Hi, I live in Crescent City, and a teenager at Del Norte High School. I'm currently looking for a part-time job; are there any businesses who can hire?

Facts about me:
GPA: 4.0+
Grade: 9th
Work Experience: None.

I am willing to learn, and do my best for any job. I want to get work as early as possible, so I can save up money for college. Any information would be helpful. Thank you!
Tutoring?
Dog walking.
Babysitting.
Odd jobs in a local factory.
Odd jobs at a car dealership.
Landscape help.
What about coaching or serving as a referee at the YMCA?
Helping your science teachers clean up?
Grade papers for an elementary school.
Local library aid.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:51 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,105 times
caljobs.ca.gov

see if the Private Industry Council (pic) operates, might be called "Del Norte Works" or something like that. they'll get you work permits at 14.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:15 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAragones View Post

Facts about me:
Don't you have to be 16 years old before businesses can legally hire you?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:37 AM

566 posts, read 1,939,033 times
Stupid laws like that make law-breakers out of good people. I can think of no finer attribute than developing a good work ethic at a young age. The law may have been useful long ago but not now. Hey CA legislature you guys are busy passing over 1000 new laws each year. How about cancelling some of the old ones?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:58 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Don't you have to be 16 years old before businesses can legally hire you?
No. If you're between 12 and 18 you just need to get a work permit from the school district.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:24 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Stupid laws like that make law-breakers out of good people. I can think of no finer attribute than developing a good work ethic at a young age. The law may have been useful long ago but not now. Hey CA legislature you guys are busy passing over 1000 new laws each year. How about cancelling some of the old ones?
According to ImRandy, it seems the laws on child labor have changed to allow kids as young as 12 to work in CA now. Must have been one of those "thousands of laws per year" the legislature snuck by when we weren't looking. We were probably out earning a living when it happened.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I was soldering wires to circuit boards at when I was 15 at Teradyne (when they were) in Chatsworth. $3.30/hr, summer 1977.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Eh, usually it's fast food, bagboy at the supermarket, or dishwasher at a restaurant at your age, at least in a small town like Crescent City. It will get better as you grow older, especially since they'll see that you were already working at 14.

You could also sell things on Ebay, like maybe some polished agates from the beach or something made out of the local redwoods or ferns. Things that are common in your area but might be valued elsewhere.

Maybe you could make a little money panning gold in the Smith River, gold is over $800 per ounce now, but that would be awful wet work this time of year!

You could also breed dogs. It's best to learn a small business at home, be your own boss rather than getting stuck in the mindset of working for someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California