Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:31 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,400,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why do you think folks in CA are naive? Everyone is aware that homelessness is a problem in the major cities-CA and elsewhere.

If what you say is true, it is probably due to the weather. Easier to be homeless where the weather is pleasant.

And while do I live in CA, I am hundreds of miles from the two cities you mention.
Well I when you mentioned what your home is worth I should have figured out you are miles from a major CA city. I mentioned the 2 cities I know of that have a huge problem with homelessness primarily because you choose to mention the problem in Austin. Again, I say naive as you seem to think CA is perfect. that is how you across. You are also judging Texas based on a visit and based on a couple of cities. Yes, many people in CA. do live in la la land. Every state has pros and cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 09:03 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,503,545 times
Quote:
Not saying CA is perfect either. Stockton has always been a mismanaged S-hole. But on the flip side, CA is the 7th largest economy in the world. 97% of CA is rural or wilderness. Overcrowded? I think not and I doubt if your fair state is gang free.

Killeen TX is bankrupt per my son and is not a nice place to live. But it is close to fort Hood. He is in a new subdivision outside of Killeen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well I when you mentioned what your home is worth I should have figured out you are miles from a major CA city. I mentioned the 2 cities I know of that have a huge problem with homelessness primarily because you choose to mention the problem in Austin. Again, I say naive as you seem to think CA is perfect. that is how you across. You are also judging Texas based on a visit and based on a couple of cities. Yes, many people in CA. do live in la la land. Every state has pros and cons.
Where in this thread did I mention the value of my home? I will give a hint. It is worth the same as my son's, but in a nicer area. It's been over a week in Central Texas and we leave tomorrow. I look forward to sleeping in my own bed and being in fimilar surroundings.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:05 PM

173 posts, read 288,914 times
Quote:
This thread asks the question of those who live in CA and can't wait to move to the great state of Texas. Been to Dallas and the traffic is horrid. Been to Austin and it is a big "so what" town at 50% off home prices compared to the urban areas of CA. Gas is 30 cents less per gallon and property taxes are 250% higher than CA. (My son's 204k house is in Killeen TX and he pays $5000 a year in property taxes. We pay $2100 on our $220,000 house in CA.)

Mediocre scenery and during our present visit the weather has been 70* with 70% humidity. Except for those days when it drops to the mid 20s and the wind chill takes it to 9*. Actual for last week. Son said when he moved to Killeen last August they had 105* days with 80% humidity. Austin has basically the same weather and slightly better countryside.

So why is Texas such a "desirable" place compared to CA? Besides cheaper housing and the conservative politics.
Different strokes for different folks. I relocated from Southern California because I was unable to find employment there for the experience I had. I was able to find employment in Texas that paid about the same that it would have in California.

Texas has a lot to offer, in my opinion. Good food, laid back culture, a different and interesting type of terrain, etc. While Texas has its drawbacks (and it has many), I found that I lead a better quality of life in Texas than I would in California. I have made many friends here and have made it my new home.

It's important to see the positive in a new environment. Otherwise, you won't enjoy yourself. Enjoy Texas for what it is. If not, at least you know now that Texas was not the right fit for you. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:17 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,318,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickz623 View Post
Different strokes for different folks. I relocated from Southern California because I was unable to find employment there for the experience I had. I was able to find employment in Texas that paid about the same that it would have in California.

Texas has a lot to offer, in my opinion. Good food, laid back culture, a different and interesting type of terrain, etc. While Texas has its drawbacks (and it has many), I found that I lead a better quality of life in Texas than I would in California. I have made many friends here and have made it my new home.

It's important to see the positive in a new environment. Otherwise, you won't enjoy yourself. Enjoy Texas for what it is. If not, at least you know now that Texas was not the right fit for you. Different strokes for different folks.
Yes QOL is generally more important than COL

Both States are Desirable or millions of people would not live in them. True ,more people leave CA than move in from other States, but COL can impact that.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:17 PM

193 posts, read 168,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes QOL is generally more important than COL

Both States are Desirable or millions of people would not live in them. True ,more people leave CA than move in from other States, but COL can impact that.

According to this moving company, the states with the HIGHEST amount of being leaving isn't CA.

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/conta...014/index.html

The top outbound states for 2014 were:
  1. New Jersey
  2. New York
  3. Illinois
  4. North Dakota
  5. West Virginia
  6. Ohio
  7. Kansas
  8. New Mexico
  9. Pennsylvania
  10. Connecticut
The top inbound states of 2014 were:
  1. Oregon
  2. South Carolina
  3. North Carolina
  4. Vermont
  5. Florida
  6. Nevada
  7. Texas
  8. District of Columbia
  9. Oklahoma
  10. Ida

Old 12-28-2016, 01:55 PM

144 posts, read 195,298 times
These California vs Texas threads are always entertaining..... I currently live in Austin but have also spent many years in Sacramento.... I love both CA and TX for different reasons and don't rule out relocating back to CA one day....

Here's an interesting article I found recently..

How many Californians are moving to Austin? Numbers will surprise you. - CultureMap Austin

Old 12-28-2016, 02:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,318,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
According to this moving company, the states with the HIGHEST amount of being leaving isn't CA.

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/conta...014/index.html

The top outbound states for 2014 were:
  1. New Jersey
  2. New York
  3. Illinois
  4. North Dakota
  5. West Virginia
  6. Ohio
  7. Kansas
  8. New Mexico
  9. Pennsylvania
  10. Connecticut
The top inbound states of 2014 were:
  1. Oregon
  2. South Carolina
  3. North Carolina
  4. Vermont
  5. Florida
  6. Nevada
  7. Texas
  8. District of Columbia
  9. Oklahoma
  10. Ida
I said nothing about CA being the highest, just that more people leave CA than move to CA from the other States. The growth in population is primarily due to broths. Notice also that TX is not on the list of high outbound but is on the list of inbound.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:24 PM

173 posts, read 288,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
These California vs Texas threads are always entertaining..... I currently live in Austin but have also spent many years in Sacramento.... I love both CA and TX for different reasons and don't rule out relocating back to CA one day....

Here's an interesting article I found recently..

How many Californians are moving to Austin? Numbers will surprise you. - CultureMap Austin
Interesting. I wonder if the Californian migration to Texas overall has picked up to pre-recession levels. I see California plates here all the time.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:36 PM

144 posts, read 195,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickz623 View Post
Interesting. I wonder if the Californian migration to Texas overall has picked up to pre-recession levels. I see California plates here all the time.
Not sure but I do know that I see California LP's all the time here in Austin... more and more frequently too. Doesn't bother me at all as i'm not a native Austinite either, lol.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 PM

958 posts, read 1,142,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I said nothing about CA being the highest, just that more people leave CA than move to CA from the other States. The growth in population is primarily due to broths. Notice also that TX is not on the list of high outbound but is on the list of inbound.
Chicken broths or beef broths? I have not found there to be a significant difference between broths i have eaten in ca vs other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California