Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:12 PM

64 posts, read 79,796 times

Advertisements

I've visited 7 of California's National Parks (out of 9), and none of those areas seem to fit what you are looking for based on my experience. My first thought was something like Bend, OR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 09:27 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovepahrump View Post
I've visited 7 of California's National Parks (out of 9), and none of those areas seem to fit what you are looking for based on my experience. My first thought was something like Bend, OR.
Good suggestion. When I want lots of greenery in the scenery, I head to Oregon. The Ashland-Jacksonville Oregon area might also work, with Crater Lake National Park close by. Maybe Portland, OR, with the Columbia River Gorge and all of its waterfalls and the Oregon Coast nearby. Or, Olympia, Washington or Seattle, with the lush, green Olympia National Park (and Ranier National Park too).

Hmmm....maybe they need to start their road trip in Seattle and work their way down to San Diego.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:07 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I'd let go of the National Park or bust idea. California has amazing state parks and BLM open space (you mentioned "El Dorado" as a National Park. It's not; it's a National Forrest managed by the BLM). There are also beautiful county and city parks with trails and mountain biking throughout the state, so it's not necessary to live in Yosemite's back yard to have easy access to outdoor activities and beautiful scenery here.

Trust me: it's impossible to get bored with the outdoors in California, even if you don't live next to a National Park.

I agree I was just up in Humboldt Redwoods State Park, and Shelter Cove. Plenty of great areas beside the National Parks. BLM manages much of the Redwood Country.

Some suggestions:

Fly to Sacramento Int'l (SMF)

Go northwest: to I-5 to Highway 20. Clear Lake Area to 101.
Think the Eel River and/or Highway 101 from Ukiah up to Fortuna. This Redwood Country.

Go northeast: I-80 to Highway 49 Auburn to Placerville. or further to Highway 20 and Nevada City.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-04-2017 at 10:47 PM..

Old 01-04-2017, 10:11 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1337 View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to a number of places. I am trying to do my due diligence and would feel like I'm making a huge mistake if I don't give California fair consideration.

Here is the important stuff:

Early 30's, currently living in Florida. Wife is a teacher, my line of work I should be able to find near any major population center (so all of California, lol).

We love nature. This is our primary reason for moving. We love day hikes, road biking and some easy flowing mountain biking. We also would like to have some kayaking spots nearby. Beaches aren't of huge importance to us, as we've been there done that to death.

We want space. As such, we realize we will probably have to little a little ways outside of a suburb. That's fine. Ideally we'd get 5+ acres of land. We will then build a house, or if we find the right house we'd consider buying. Budgets are hard to figure, as I'm still trying to wrap my head around cost of living changes. If I had to guess, I'd say less than 700k, possibly a decent amount less. House size doesn't need to be anything crazy. ~2500 sq ft.

As far as our weekend adventures, we have dogs, so long trips to parks 3 hours away isn't feasible. I'd like to have at least one really good National Park within an hours drive. And Other greenery, road biking, small parks within 30 minutes.

I'd also like to be ~ 30 minutes drive to work. Longer than that could be acceptable if everything else was great.

The city itself needs to be safe and at least somewhat affluent. We want space, but we don't want to live in some poor country area where no one goes. We'd also like a decent little down town, something walkable and quaint. I'm not a huge fan of traffic, but I think I may have to get over that problem no matter where I go in California?

My wife is concerned about Earthquakes, so if the place isn't ON a fault line, that would be nice too I have a feeling the Earthquake conversation is going to be a problem at some point in time if we find a nice place in Cali, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Oh!!! One last important thing. My wife likes green, not brown. So I've been looking at northern California, assuming it's more green up there. But our property needs to have some beauty to it. Green, rolling hills, interesting rock formations, whatever. It just can't be a brown, flat dessert area. She won't go for that.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!

Grass Valley, Nevada City (thats alittle further up but much prettier)- cute niche town/ great downtowns, scenic and theres a lot of what you mentioned as being important to do- the Yuba River is one of the most scenic (and accessible while maintaining its privacy, you can go and find a spot all to yourself many a day) Rivers around...(in fact the Yuba River State Park is nearby, as well as the Tahoe National Forest)
You will definitely find 5 beautiful acres... and a house for under $700,000.
Great for people who love hiking, taking their pooches on hikes, and other outdoor adventures(we are dog people)...
in fact I do believe Nevada City was rated "best place to live in the US by Outdoor Magazine a few years back)...

Old 01-05-2017, 07:02 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Cali is a city in Colombia.

Please refer to us as CA (the postal abbreviation) or California. No one refers to your state of Florida, as Flori, do they?
Sorry op, there's two, forgot about mystical. Oh, and there is no song called "going back to flori" like there is with CALI. Check out mystical and dublins posting histories for a sense of their credibility and intelligence. And call it whatever you like.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:44 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Sorry op, there's two, forgot about mystical. Oh, and there is no song called "going back to flori" like there is with CALI. Check out mystical and dublins posting histories for a sense of their credibility and intelligence. And call it whatever you like.
There is a band called FloRida though...

Old 01-05-2017, 08:50 AM

78 posts, read 103,573 times
Don't worry guys. I'm ignoring the idiots complaining about what I call Cali. Does it REALLY bother you that much if I call it Cali? If so... hahahahahaahahahahhaahah... that's sad.

Anyways, back to the topic.

I appreciate all the conversation and suggestions. Nevada City (and nearby areas) are the ones that have stuck out to me the most. I've read many good things about those areas. I'm trying to decide whether my next trip is to Cali (ahahah) or Colorado right now.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:22 PM

173 posts, read 255,200 times
Have a look at Boulder Creek. It's just outside silicon valley and is home to Big Basin state park.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:24 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
And if we look at your posting history, we can see a history of trolling.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:10 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1337 View Post
Don't worry guys. I'm ignoring the idiots complaining about what I call Cali. Does it REALLY bother you that much if I call it Cali? If so... hahahahahaahahahahhaahah... that's sad.
I don't get upset when people use "Cali." But I immediately know they're probably either tourists, fresh off the boat in California, or an 18-year-old trying to sound cool.

Feel free to use Cali if you'd prefer, but keep that in mind when you do.

Also, there's no need to be rude to people who point out that most long term residents of California over age 25 or so don't use "Cali". They're just trying to help you fit in. I don't know about you but as a general rule, I don't laugh at or make fun of people trying to help me, even if I disagree with them.

I'm sure there will soon be a post calling me an old fogey (or maybe an idiot) for saying this, but so be it.

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-05-2017 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California