Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 06:37 PM

7 posts, read 6,906 times

Advertisements

I want a new start and feel California would be good for me and my son. The downfalls of that is I would be move with out a job but I have a lot of experience in different job fields. However I have money saved up for a place. I currently stay in Texas and work as a Dietary Aide. What's a good area with reasonable prices? How is the school systems? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 09:04 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanell93 View Post
I want a new start and feel California would be good for me and my son. The downfalls of that is I would be move with out a job but I have a lot of experience in different job fields. However I have money saved up for a place. I currently stay in Texas and work as a Dietary Aide. What's a good area with reasonable prices? How is the school systems? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
What's your definition of "reasonable prices"? Are you looking to rent or buy?

It would also be helpful if you could let us know whether you've ever visited or lived in California. If you have visited or lived here, which parts of our HUGE state did you spend time in, and what was your reaction to those areas? Are you leaning more towards northern California or Southern California?

Old 01-04-2017, 04:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
It looks like you didn't make the move from TX to AZ as you planned. Have you checked into the col in CA regardless as to where you live? this in itself may caused to reconsider. You need to spend some time in CA and check everything out closely. You will need enough money for a deposit on an apartment, plus deposits for all kinds of things and still show enough extra to insure the landlord you can pay rent for several months without a job. I am not saying it will take several months, but the apartment manager wants to be certain they will get their rent payments. Of course on top of this you will have childcare expenses. They are very high in CA. No one can advise you on where to live and school districts. Like anyplace the school districts that are more desirable are in the more expensive communities. I think, if I were you I would try to stay clear of the large metro areas. Also remember the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:08 AM

7 posts, read 6,906 times
I'm looking to rent and stay under 1000. I never visited California but my fiancé stays in California and I'm trying to move closer to him. He stays in San Bernardino but it's not a good community. I was looking into Highland and Hesperia or anything close to San Bernardino. I didn't move to Phoenix after all due to my niece being born but she's a year old now.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
The issues that make you want "a new start" in California will still be there unless you address them before you move. Just sayin'.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The issues that make you want "a new start" in California will still be there unless you address them before you move. Just sayin'.
Unless your issues revolve around where you live, the above is very true.

As to the COL, it will be high if you are looking at the greater LA area (or SF Bay, San Diego). In my part of CA $1000 will get you a 3br/2ba house. Our schools rate in the top 20% of the nation and anything related to the medical field will have job opportunities. But I live several hundred miles from San Bernardino (and am fine with that).

Old 01-04-2017, 04:00 PM

130,236 posts, read 12,099,804 times
California is a vast area & has many different feels, we lived in the San Francisco area for over 30 years, but recently sold up & moved North, to the Sierra Nevada foothills which is almost a different planet. But we love it here. I can't help you with So Cal, but good luck. Also, check & see if your job qualifications are valid here.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:34 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
San Bernardino is NOT a good area, you DO NOT want to raise your son there. Highland is basically part of San Bernardino. Read the threads on San Bernardino in that forum. Hesperia is in the desert, not far from San Bernardino & also not a good area. The economy is bad, crime high, unemployment except for the very highly skilled is high and schools very subpar in all those areas. Also, you will not find a decent rental in a safe neighborhood for under $1,000, just look at CL, Hotpads, etc. for examples.

Seriously, if you have a job in Texas, you would most likely be better off there, IMO, especially for the sake of your child...not saying this to be discouraging, it's just a fact of life.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 01-05-2017 at 02:43 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 07:07 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Unless your issues revolve around where you live, the above is very true.

As to the COL, it will be high if you are looking at the greater LA area (or SF Bay, San Diego). In my part of CA $1000 will get you a 3br/2ba house. Our schools rate in the top 20% of the nation and anything related to the medical field will have job opportunities. But I live several hundred miles from San Bernardino (and am fine with that).
What general area is that?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Where does your fiance recommend that you and your son live? Can you and your fiance get married before you make the move or live together so you can pool your finances? Most fiances want to make sure their future wife and her child are living in a safe area so I would assume his advice would be better than a bunch of strangers on the internet. Any chance he might move to Texas instead so you don't have to uproot your child?

Have you already looked into jobs here? Where are the most jobs located in Southern California for the type of work you do? What types of salaries do they pay - could you earn enough to boost your rent budget? Obviously, it's a big risk to move somewhere with a child without knowing how much money you will be able to make, or even if you can find a job. Most people moving with children find a job first and then decide where to live based on their commute time.

As others have already said, you are going to have extremely limited choices in Southern California for under $1000 a month or even at $1000 a month. We're not trying to discourage you, but boosting your budget up to at least $1500=1600 will get you into more family-friendly areas.

If you want to stay under $1000, carefully research schools in any area that might have apartments in that price range because you probably won't be landing in districts with strong schools. Doing your own research on schools is important because even 'bad" school districts usually have at least a few schools that are decent, but you're unlikely to find those schools asking on forums like this where most people believe only their kids' schools or their school district is worth considering.

Obviously, since you'll be looking at less desirable areas with that budget, you'll want to research crime stats in the areas that you find places in that price range to make sure you land somewhere that is safe for you and your child.

For research, use the information on City Data front page (http://www.city-data.com/) and also crimemapping.com. A site like Zillow.com will let you search for current rentals within a specific budget and show you on a map where they might be located and then you can investigate those areas.

Obviously, the only way to really get an idea of whether California is right for you and your child and whether you'll be OK with specific areas within your budget is to see for yourself. Use some of the money you have saved for an exploratory trip here before you go any further with the idea of moving to California.

Again, I'm not trying to be discouraging, but as a Mom myself, I worry when I hear that single parents with young children are considering a move to expensive Southern California without an adequate income to live in a family friendly area.

It's one thing to take a risk and move to a place you can't really afford when you are single; it's another to take that risk when you have a young child depending on you.

And, again as a Mom, it does seem a little odd to me that you have never visited your fiance in California. That sets off some alarm bells in my "mom brain."

Be cautious.

I do wish you well!

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-05-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California