Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times

Advertisements

I too have encountered rattlesnakes while hiking on backcountry trails in Southern California. One helpful thing that I learned is that when you get close to an aggressive rattler, it will let you know it. I always assumed that rattlesnakes shook their rattle gently and that you might not hear it. But every time I have encountered a rattlesnake in the wild, it sounded like a hedge trimmer. There is not mistaking the sound. Which is good b/c you know when to tred carefully as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 05:46 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Have you ate snake? I ate rattle snake, it was good, but the raw snake smelled bad.
Haha, yes sir i have. I skinned it and cooked it ofcourse.

I've not tried rattle snakes yet but id be willing to grind my teeth in one . I've had pythons. Taste like chicken.... Delicious

Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Never ate snake, but just about any critter smells bad when freshly killed.

Gracie, yer my kinda gal.
Im flattered, but i assure you. Gracie is a Guy with wife & kids

Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Never ate snake, but just about any critter smells bad when freshly killed.

Gracie, yer my kinda gal.
Yep, your right, I hunt and eat what I take but that rattle snake had a nasty smell, it tasted good but was hard for me to cook.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Yep, your right, I hunt and eat what I take but that rattle snake had a nasty smell, it tasted good but was hard for me to cook.
Yeah, it does take time to cook, ill boil it for a while or pressure cooker for 5-10mins. Then fry it with garlic & onions, add curry powder and seasoning. Tasty!!!

Damn, my mouth is watering just by the thought, now where did i hide my rambo knife & hiking boots?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
If you are into snake as a food come to Humboldt county, in the Garberville Redway part near the Mendocino border. On one property that I lived on while working as an assistant bird breeder at an aviary, my boss and I eliminated 54 rattle snakes over 5 years. On the property adjacent there were only 2 in the same time span. The property that I lived on had large outcroppings of slate like stone. Rattlesnakes find those situations perfect for dens. We also have the King snake here and they eat rattlesnakes. The other thing rattlesnakes like is hot days and cool nights. I have seen various colors of garter snakes and ring neck snakes and the gopher snake is all over the state. The rattle snake is our only venomous snake.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:46 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
As far as I know, Northern Minnesota is the only place in the US that doesn't have deadly snakes.

Many Americans survive up to 100 years or more without being killed by snakes.
It's not the snakes you have to worry about in California, it's the mountain lions. They're not afraid of people and will eat your dog. Then we have the dreaded California Condor, they are big enough to fly away with small children. We had almost hunted them to extinction but they're on the rise again. Wolves are also a big problem. Don't get me started on the grizzly bears. Those things are huge and as mean as any animal on the planet.

Seriously though, rattlers aren't all that common in developed areas. You may run into one out in the wilderness from time to time. If you do, just back away slowly. They can't see very well and they are scared of you. All they see is something really big that can hurt them. They won't chase you down but they will defend themselves and will strike if they feel trapped. I've known only two people that got bit by rattlers (both in Texas) and they were both poking at the animals with sticks. Usually a rattlesnake bite isn't deadly to an adult but it will make you very sick and there will be some tissue damage. Rattlers use a hemotoxin (blood poison) and I understand the bites are quite painful and recovery takes a very long time.

People in California are much more dangerous and deadly than the snakes.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:24 PM

433 posts, read 2,355,724 times
Just stay out of the bushes and rocks or limit your brush hiking to the cooler season.

I've only seen one rattlesnake in 15 years. It was a large one though and it was positioned on the side of a walking trail. Looked hungry. I tried to tell some Asian folks about the snake as they were heading down the trail I had just come from. No luck. They didn't speak any English. I think they got my message though. I was pointing at the spot and doing the cobra move with my arm and hands.

I agree about the mountain lions. They are more dangerous and they eat people. We had a woman jogger attacked by a mountain lion east of Sacramento back in the 90s. The lion hit so hard it knocked her out of her shoes. They found bits of her scattered in the woods. The lion was trying to feed her cub. By the way, that cub is now full grown and lives in the Folsom Zoo. His name is Willow. The killer lion was hunted down and killed. Another guy was attacked by a lion while on a moving tractor in Northeast California. We get bad years with poor deer numbers and those lions will come down to eat. I think they've even been spotted in L.A. at night...

Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 PM

73 posts, read 473,762 times
Yes, tons. They are fat, have long tails and take over your kitchen at night.

Oh, wait, I'm thinking of rats.

Seriously - I grew up in CA - never once saw a snake.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
What does a person expect when we humans are encroaching these animals only homes they have left??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California