Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,278,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Yeah, well if I want my clothing made by minimum wage people, or just the lowest wage, I guess I'll buy Chinese. Being in Vegas isn't going to help you. I wonder what percent of the sales price is actually going towards labor vs say advertising.

Maybe the question should be should minimum wage be a living wage. I don't think burger flipping should be a career. Those positions should be part time positions for young hot looking kids working for gas and beer money. I don't want some middle aged mother of 6 asking me if I want to supersize my order. It is an entry lever job. If you have no more ambition that to stay there then I should not be forced to buy you a house/car/smart phone/child care. Geez. You could at least aspire to be a reality show, rap, or youtube star. How hard is that? Maybe look into professional sports.
Unfortunately the work available for many is... fast food. The jobs they sued to have left for Asia.

Yes minimum wage jobs used to be entry level, but now are a source for many just to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 01:49 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,278,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
California is already in the death spiral. Private sector growth in jobs (non-farm) was barely above 0% last year. With this new $15 minimum, it's going to go negative fairly soon and we'll be right back at 2008.

Source: BLS
Imagine that in the Worlds 5th largest economy.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:07 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,949,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Imagine that in the Worlds 5th largest economy.
Yes, quite odd isn't it.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:22 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,861,255 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the work available for many is... fast food. The jobs they sued to have left for Asia.

Yes minimum wage jobs used to be entry level, but now are a source for many just to survive.
For under educated, unskilled, unmotivated laborers. You know, mostly teenagers.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:24 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,861,255 times
Quote:
Right now look at the label. Likely made in Thailand, as an example, for a worker paid $0.15 an hour.
Exactly! Somebody is becoming a Fat Cat on the $69.00 left over. Bet he lives in California.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:32 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,373,846 times
Quote:
California is already in the death spiral. Private sector growth in jobs (non-farm) was barely above 0% last year. With this new $15 minimum, it's going to go negative fairly soon and we'll be right back at 2008.

Source: BLS
this graph shows no such thing, in fact it does not show any of 2016

Old 01-09-2017, 03:57 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,949,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
this graph shows no such thing, in fact it does not show any of 2016
Do you know how to read a graph?

It clearly says it contains data up to March 2016. It doesn't have all of last year's data (no one has all of it since you're always at least one fiscal quarter behind with BLS). But it clearly shows that up to March 2016, there was practically 0% growth in non-farm private sector jobs. It also shows that YOY gains are back to 2009 figures (recession era).

Do you think it's going to get better for the 1st quarter 2017 BLS report? I'd bet you $1000 right now, cash straight, that they won't be better. You game?

Old 01-09-2017, 11:40 PM

42,753 posts, read 25,964,222 times
Quote:
Do you know how to read a graph?

It clearly says it contains data up to March 2016. It doesn't have all of last year's data (no one has all of it since you're always at least one fiscal quarter behind with BLS). But it clearly shows that up to March 2016, there was practically 0% growth in non-farm private sector jobs. It also shows that YOY gains are back to 2009 figures (recession era).

Do you think it's going to get better for the 1st quarter 2017 BLS report? I'd bet you $1000 right now, cash straight, that they won't be better. You game?
yeah, California is doomed

"California’s economy continues to report steady growth. Nonfarm employment has risen
2.3 percent year over year and the state’s jobless rate has tumbled 0.6 percentage points over the
past year to 5.3 percent in November. While job growth is still outpacing the nation, the Golden
State’s economy is showing some signs of cooling."

"While employment growth appears to be losing momentum, California’s economy is still growing
nearly twice as fast as the nation. Real GDP in California grew at a 2.2 percent annual rate in Q2,
an entire percentage point above the reported national gain (Figure 2). With the recent increase,
California’s economy is now valued at $2.56 trillion. The Golden State accounts for 14 percent of
the U.S. economy and accounted for about 27 percent of the nation’s growth over the past year."

https://www08.wellsfargomedia.com/as...t-20161216.pdf

Old 01-09-2017, 11:44 PM

560 posts, read 595,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Nordstrom Men's Shop Regular Fit Sport Shirt | Nordstrom

You can't turn a profit paying someone $15.00 an hour to make a $70.00 shirt? You should be out of business.
No not really when you consider 70$ is retail... wholesale you are probably selling at 50% margin so anywhere 30-40 dollars per shirt or less.

Then you have Cost of Goods... marketing expenses... transportation ... and all the other expenses the business has... and im just scratching the surface...

Old 01-09-2017, 11:51 PM

193 posts, read 168,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Very good op ed written by a small business owner in San Fernando CA
That is moving his business to Las Vegas .

The pro $15 crowd only seems to listen to pro $15 protestors , unions and politicians . Never to actual business owners that explain how big of an issue this will be to their business .

--

"When the $15 minimum wage is fully phased in, my company would be losing in excess of $200,000 a year (and far more if my workforce grows as anticipated)."

"Still, if not for the $15 minimum wage, I’d have zero interest in leaving California. In some ways, it’s an ideal time to make clothing here. There's a huge demand for American-made apparel, and the industry infrastructure that exists in Los Angeles — from garment makers to sewing machine repairmen — is difficult to find elsewhere. But businesses can’t operate at a loss. "

"We need more stable, blue-collar jobs in places like the San Fernando Valley — the kind I thought I was helping create. California, however, has put up a giant “Go Away” sign. "

Leaving for Las Vegas: California's minimum wage law leaves businesses no choice - LA Times
I guess he should pack up and leave asap. Because the Bill doesn't take fully take effect until 2022. LOL

I wonder why this "Small business owner" is crying about it now? The previous bill no one talked about had the $15 minimum wage take effect in 2021. Basically gradually increasing minimum wage until it hits $15 by 2021.

Do Americans only read the headlines? Apparently so! Because the new bill delayed the increase by another year.

Why all the crying about it now?

Go ahead and leave for Vegas. I bet he'll be crying back to CA. No one wants to live in Vegas. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California