Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a secession?
Absolutely. 88 40.37%
I would vote against it, but would stay in California regardless of the outcome. 46 21.10%
I would vote against it, and leave if California seceded. 84 38.53%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 07:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

I do understand the reason to want to leave, the electoral college does screw over a state like California.

I just don't see what makes California unique tbh, like the majority of the big population states California rejected the progressive Bernie in the primaries and gave us Hillary to put up against Trump (obvious mistake).

Shouldn't Cascadia become its own country before California?

Old 02-06-2017, 07:20 PM

787 posts, read 644,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I do understand the reason to want to leave, the electoral college does screw over a state like California.

I just don't see what makes California unique tbh,
That makes two of us, and I'm a native Californian.

People say, oh, you can do so much here and there are mountains, beaches, etc, yea, and when I retort with, how often do you do all of that and how much can you do at the same time, I have yet to get an answer other than "you have a point".

Old 02-06-2017, 07:44 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
Anyone hoping that a separation would keep more tax money in California to improve the infrastructure must be kidding.
All the extra revenue would be spent on the illegals, the homeless, and studying the nesting skills of the redwinged koo koo bird.
Then the following year all taxes would be raised because the Bay Bridge collapsed due to lack of maintenance.
California is like a ten-year old child - entertaining and delightful - but can't survive on its own and needs strict supervision.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:46 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
This must be the new trend...

Democrat elected into White House: Texas secession threads everywhere
Republican elected into White House: California secession threads everywhere
Correcting you on something; the current ballot initiative for California did not start with this election, rather it started two and a half years ago while Obama was still President and the California National Party (a separate organization) is older still. Trump is not the reason for this. The only influence Trump's election to the presidency had was that the original plan was to get it on the 2020 ballot. Now it's for the 2018 ballot which was decided after Trump won.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think they need to. If California were really serious about secession, there wouldn't be a war. That would be mutually assured destruction. California has more military bases than any other state and it's not like the rest of the Union could send in an invading army and force them to relinquish planes, tanks, frigates, etc. All of the "We'd annihilate you guys" tough guy talk is even more silly than the idea of California becoming its own country since California would have more than enough capability to inflict massive losses on Red State America. We can casually entertain the idea of going to war because it just so happens that our wars never occur on our soil.

If Californians were to go the distance with this, then I could see the state having a relationship with the U.S. much like what Taiwan has to Mainland China. It would be more of a 20-year process where the state gradually asserts its independence step by step.

The only way I could see CalExit happening is if Trump becomes even more outrageous and wins re-election in 2020. I think the threat then becomes very real and at that point the East Coast states from Maryland on up start considering their options.
One of the most sensible responses in this thread

Old 02-06-2017, 07:59 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
All I know is if we come remotely close to seceding you all will see my tail lights bolting out of this state and I won't be alone. You liberals can distroy Ca I'll be watching from the other side of the fence laughing

Old 02-06-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
You realize those are U.S Military bases right?

There is no California Military because as you said all this talk is silly and such a thing wouldn't happen.
Ok, you (and others) need to understand that secession is not like a divorce even though that is often an idiotic metaphor. There is no I'm taking what mine and you owe me this etc. There is no judge deciding anything. Secession is a loss for the parent country, that's just how it goes. They are never fair. As mentioned, if this ever were to happen, it would benefit both countries to cooperate with one another. This isn't the 1860's anymore and we should not expect things to be handled like they were then. The US would have a lot more to loose if it fought a civil war today. No need destroying a seceding state only to spend billions rebuilding it. That's a loss for the US as CA would never be what it once was and thus neither would the US. It just wouldn't be worth it.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:00 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
Quote:
That's not going to happen.

If California were actually serious, there wouldn't be much the rest of America could do about it. Say, for example, the state held a convention to begin the drafting of its own constitution. Then the state set up a plan to establish its own central bank. There's no way the U.S. could retaliate against California without hurting the entire U.S. economy. There is no scenario in which we could impose crippling sanctions on California without generating massive economic disruption from New York to Oregon. We are too intertwined and American businesses would have too strong an interest in resolving any separation in as amicable a fashion as possible.

Sure, there'd be hard feelings, but nothing remotely close to war.
That was a response to another poster's statement and in that context, it would be no contest. The military bases here are US military and they would absolutely squash any kind of armed uprising in about 4 hours. That won't happen because they are cowards.
CA already has a constitution but they fail to establish a state owned bank like ND, yet alone a central bank. You give too much credit to the Sacto pols - they only understand tax and spend!
This is really a temper tantrum and in the end there will be no secession.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
That's not going to happen.

If California were actually serious, there wouldn't be much the rest of America could do about it. Say, for example, the state held a convention to begin the drafting of its own constitution. Then the state set up a plan to establish its own central bank. There's no way the U.S. could retaliate against California without hurting the entire U.S. economy. There is no scenario in which we could impose crippling sanctions on California without generating massive economic disruption from New York to Oregon. We are too intertwined and American businesses would have too strong an interest in resolving any separation in as amicable a fashion as possible.

Sure, there'd be hard feelings, but nothing remotely close to war.
Again, great post

Old 02-06-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Most people all over the U.S and the world like California
I've been to 40 states. Every major city in a few. This is a flat out lie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California