Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 01:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,398 times

Advertisements

Hi, im new to this thread stuff. Nice to meet everyone. I am a 35 yr old single dad and I am recently coming into a job opportunity in the sonoma county area of California. I reside in outskirts of atlanta at the time being and have been there for over 10yrs. If this job opportunity happens i will have to make the big move west. I have a son about 13 that will be starting high school, daughter 9 whom may come, my mom and possibly a 2yr old niece....I am trying to find out what are the ok parts of sonoma county to reside in with the family listed. I have looked at petaluma, and rhonert park. Also looked at sonoma valley high and casa grande high schools in that area. I just want a good school for my son to finish out in and a nice friendly area. I am aware at the cost of living diff from the south east and i guess prepared to handle it any which way i can. Any ideas on best areas for young kids? pet friendly?.....I have been reading a few forums but some outdated on bad parts of santa rosa and worst high schools and neighborhoods in general in the county. I have also read that the town is rich in history, art, value, and people. I have read that the people are nice and friendly and welcoming. Also what income do you think is good to be financially stable in the sonoma county area given the cost of living diff from georgia? I know we will probably have to live in a smaller bedroom for now house or apartment. Any and all advice would be so helpful on high schools, elementary schools, job market, family friendly, pet friendly, social living, things for kids....ect..... Would be a big move for myself as I have never really made one this big before. Thank you for reading this thread and have a blessed day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 01:46 AM

787 posts, read 643,745 times
Heck, as a native Californian considering LA, GA, and NC, I don't see why you would want to do it! Admittedly I didn't read the full OP, but as a native Califorian seriously considering moving out, I think all considering migrants should think twice about the financial sacrifice.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:21 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
I would ignore the typical right wing knee jerk reaction and consider your move to California. Contrary to what the right wing thinks, one size does not fit all.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:21 PM

486 posts, read 831,972 times
What's your income or down payment you will bring with you?

Old 01-21-2017, 09:32 PM

45 posts, read 112,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Heck, as a native Californian considering LA, GA, and NC, I don't see why you would want to do it! Admittedly I didn't read the full OP, but as a native Califorian seriously considering moving out, I think all considering migrants should think twice about the financial sacrifice.
Indeed.

If all my family who I care about wasn't here i'd have moved a while ago.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,398 times
income i would be making there would be about 70k to 80k...no less that 68k/yr

Old 01-22-2017, 10:35 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
That income will probably be a stretch. I've been looking at the same area for low income senior apartments. I've lived all over northern CA, but not in that area. Have traveled through it a lot.

One town that stuck out as being a nice, safe town is Windsor, north of Santa Rosa. It also is in a decent location for traveling into Santa Rosa and has decent amenities in town.

My opinion of Sonoma was that it would be too remote for me, as most of the shopping and medical services I would need would be 30 minutes or so away in Santa Rosa.

Rohnert Park looked fine to me. It's just a suburb, but I liked it.

You can check the schools out on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

My feedback is just based on my research of towns in that area that have nice low-income senior complexes. For what it's worth. Santa Rosa proper has nice and not-so-nice areas. It just had more traffic than I wanted to deal with.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:59 AM

997 posts, read 936,291 times
I live in Sonoma county and there is housing that is not astronomical. Sonoma County is a bit far from the City and not so expensive. The cost of living isn't quite as high. You have to look in the right place.

I know of rentals that are quite reasonable but they aren't advertised. They are usually rented before they are advertised. These would be private rentals. I am not saying you will find that, but it is possible.

We lived in an unincorporated area that had an excellent school district. I don't know what the schools are like anywhere else except the areas to avoid, must be avoided.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
SFHs there are going for $500K. Even in Santa Rosa.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,278,610 times
I live in Petaluma, it's a great little town. PM me if you have any questions. My house will be on the the market soon of you're looking to buy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California