Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,929,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes and words like NIMBY's.

I don't want a sky scraping apt complex in my neighborhood. I must have something wrong with my view of what constitutes a good neighborhood.
Not wanting a particular building in your area is one thing and I never said I had an issue with people deciding what goes in their area but this idea of using a measure to put a moratorium on new development that requires an excemption to the outdated plan is something else entirely. It's about NIMBYs taking the collective effort to swing the pendulum all the way to their serve their interests only over the interests of the city. But of course y'all are just misinterpreting the thing to mean that I want LA or SoCal to Manhattanize.
The OC wants me to write him a feasibility report on any and all new development being proposed or something, LOL. But it doesn't matter what I think, local and the State govt are already reigning some of this in. The measure in LA will fail. Growth is inevitable the point is to find compromise. This is just going to give the city of LA an incentive to update the outdated plans to fit the city's current needs.
It isn't about being able to afford it or not so you should stop resorting to that canard, it's about finding middle ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 04:16 PM

787 posts, read 636,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the oc View Post
you should try talking to radiolibre about that. he can tell you why the skyscraper should be in your living room.
lol :d

Old 02-08-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
lol :d
They just pride themselves on being able to afford any and all unnecessary third party manipulations. They prolly go to Disneyland and say "here's my wallet, please take out what you think is necessary, I can afford it". LOL

Old 02-08-2017, 04:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,238,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Not wanting a particular building in your area is one thing and I never said I had an issue with people deciding what goes in their area but this idea of using a measure to put a moratorium on new development that requires an excemption to the outdated plan is something else entirely. It's about NIMBYs taking the collective effort to swing the pendulum all the way to their serve their interests only over the interests of the city. But of course y'all are just misinterpreting the thing to mean that I want LA or SoCal to Manhattanize.
The OC wants me to write him a feasibility report on any and all new development being proposed or something, LOL. But it doesn't matter what I think, local and the State govt are already reigning some of this in. The measure in LA will fail. Growth is inevitable the point is to find compromise. This is just going to give the city of LA an incentive to update the outdated plans to fit the city's current needs.
It isn't about being able to afford it or not so you should stop resorting to that canard, it's about finding middle ground.
I can only really address OC, but it is being built out. They are not stopping building, they are just controlling the growth to avoid being wayyy over crowded as it is bad enough as it is. This is in the interests of the city. More people is not better once over crowding begins. It has begun, so how does the County control growth that makes it worse?

I wouldn't live in LA County, though I have, as it is wayyy to congested.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I can only really address OC, but it is being built out. They are not stopping building, they are just controlling the growth to avoid being wayyy over crowded as it is bad enough as it is. This is in the interests of the city. More people is not better once over crowding begins. It has begun, so how does the County control growth that makes it worse?

I wouldn't live in LA County, though I have, as it is wayyy to congested.
Well yes I think the city is doing a good job and actually cares about the housing shortage and all the issues affecting the city. The neighborhood preservation measue being proposed though was a reach too far that the city cannot handle and isn't tolerating.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:00 PM

64 posts, read 50,178 times
Quote:
Well yes I think the city is doing a good job and actually cares about the housing shortage and all the issues affecting the city. The neighborhood preservation measue being proposed though was a reach too far that the city cannot handle and isn't tolerating.
So what's the problem?

You're freaking out over a proposed measure that hasn't even been passed yet? Talk about an overreaction. THE SKY IS FALLING!

Old 02-08-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OC View Post
So what's the problem?

You're freaking out over a proposed measure that hasn't even been passed yet? Talk about an overreaction. THE SKY IS FALLING!
There were no problem until you guys lumped me into the camp that thinks and wants CA to be as cheap as AZ, then come the insults about my home state and insults about how I can't afford to do xyz cus I just disagree with some NIMBY overreach. It's just too predictable how people on this forum react to any issues that are being debated by native Californians and long time residents.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:45 PM

64 posts, read 50,178 times
Quote:
There were no problem until you guys lumped me into the camp that thinks and wants CA to be as cheap as AZ, then come the insults about my home state and insults about how I can't afford to do xyz cus I just disagree with some NIMBY overreach. It's just too predictable how people on this forum react to any issues that are being debated by native Californians and long time residents.
So what you're saying is you got triggered and now you prefer to just make outrageous posts?

Sort of confused to be honest.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:10 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,744,119 times
Quote:
Yes and words like NIMBY's.

I don't want a sky scraping apt complex in my neighborhood. I must have something wrong with my view of what constitutes a good neighborhood.
NIMBYism goes much, much farther than opposing a skyscraper in your neighborhood. There are people in LA who think a 5 story building a 1/4 mile away from a subway stop is a monolithic eyesore.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,238,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
NIMBYism goes much, much farther than opposing a skyscraper in your neighborhood. There are people in LA who think a 5 story building a 1/4 mile away from a subway stop is a monolithic eyesore.
Depends on what else is in the area and what it will do to traffic, etc. in the immediate area. It isn't always about property values or a desire to keep things as they are, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California