Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:37 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times

Advertisements

With all the rain we've been getting its hard to imagine anywhere in CA still in drought. But this recent article in the Wall Street Journal shows that Santa Barbara is still in extreme drought. It looks like their geography makes them especially susceptible to water shortages. Still, its kind of hard to imagine all this rain just passing them by.

Storms Bring Relief to Drought-Stricken California, but Santa Barbara Misses Out

Then this drought monitor seems off if you look at the Sierra Nevada which has been pounded by snow and is at record snow pack levels.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 12:11 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Well, at least have the only functioning desalinization plant in SoCal

Old 02-09-2017, 12:23 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
It's weird, I read about this a few weeks ago (can't find the exact article) and I recall it saying the way the storms have been coming in just has pretty much bypassed this watershed. The storms just haven't been hitting the mountains at an angle that usually produces a lot of rain for this area for whatever reason.

Came across this from around the time I read that article:
Despite Drenching, Santa Barbara Still in 'Extreme' Drought

It's improved but still the most drought stricken part of the state.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Well, at least have the only functioning desalinization plant in SoCal
I don't believe it's functioning and supplying water yet, they mothballed that plant when the rains came back in the 90's and only recently reactivated it but I don't think its ready yet. San Diego (Carlsbad) is the only one in SoCal right now supplying drinking water.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:28 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
I don't think Santa Barbara planned as they should for the population they have and the vagaries of today's climate. Too many coastal communities seems stuck in the 1960s with their infrastructure. Environmentalists, NIMBYs and low tax advocates run amok.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:56 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
A few things. First, Cachuma gets 90+% of its infeed from runoff. Snow pack is not a major consideration. There are only a handful of high points that get anything resembling snow pack near there.

The other thing is, although the North half of the state has gotten drenched, south of 36 N latitude it's really been hit or miss. A number of fronts have died out mid state.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:52 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
A few things. First, Cachuma gets 90+% of its infeed from runoff. Snow pack is not a major consideration. There are only a handful of high points that get anything resembling snow pack near there.

The other thing is, although the North half of the state has gotten drenched, south of 36 N latitude it's really been hit or miss. A number of fronts have died out mid state.
I think Cachuma being the only real source of water is the issue for SB's drought issues. LA and pretty much all of the rest of socal gets much of its water from northern california and the colorado river. According this map (http://www.capradio.org/media/700535/water-map.png) SB has no access to this water. So while SB may be getting above average rainfall this year (though I'm not sure this is the case), filling a depleted reservoir that is only fed by runoff and not by any major rivers or aquaducts will most likely take years in a Mediterranean climate.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:03 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

The other thing is....south of 36 N latitude it's really been hit or miss. A number of fronts have died out mid state.
I would actually place that line of demarcation a bit further north at about 37° (roughly Fresno).

That seems to be the town where half has been submerged and half dry. South of there-such as where I'm at in Tulare, it's definitely been much much drier. We've had some rain, but NOTHING like what north of Madera County has seen. Mostly just ominous looking clouds and at best, a few transitory showers here.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:24 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I would actually place that line of demarcation a bit further north at about 37° (roughly Fresno).

That seems to be the town where half has been submerged and half dry. South of there-such as where I'm at in Tulare, it's definitely been much much drier. We've had some rain, but NOTHING like what north of Madera County has seen. Mostly just ominous looking clouds and at best, a few transitory showers here.
That's pretty crazy when you consider the northern half of the state, whenever one draws that line, is almost flood conditions with reservoirs overflowing, Yosemite at or near flood levels and the High Sierra at record snowfall levels.

Its pouring right now in Monterey, BTW, and has been for quite some time at 36°. So this could also vary by coastal proximity with SB being the exception. Looking at the heat map above seems to indicate that as well.

Derek

Old 02-09-2017, 06:43 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Here are two screenshots I saved from recent storms. Notice how in both, the same areas are for the most part, left in the lurch and completely dry: south of Fresno. This seems to be the typical pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Rains bring drought relief to everywhere but Santa Barbara-rain_missingtulare.jpg   Rains bring drought relief to everywhere but Santa Barbara-rain_missingtulare2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California