Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 06:13 PM

42,711 posts, read 25,867,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Third world comes from the loss of middle class jobs and the divide between low paying and high paying. Then we see gangs taking over parks and driving the residents away by their belligerent behavior and practices. Gangs taking over whole neighborhoods and the police can do just about nothing about it. Then we have homeless encampments growing, more people begging and more on drugs. These are third world conditions.
Yes the air is better, overall crime is down, but some of that is because the crime reporting standards change and in other cases because the illegals do not report crimes against them in many cases, especially if by their own neighbors, who they are afraid of.
I grew up in those years in OC and the State has gone down hill in many areas. Yes in some it has improved, but not for so many who are living in less than even "good" conditions.
Change occurs, but the problem is the bad changes not the good ones. As a child I never saw a homeless person, a beggar or even heard about drug use like we do today. Never heard of anyone's car being burglarized, we left our homes unlocked (Fullerton and Costa Mesa). Pot was the biggest thing you heard about and only minimally. Never knew anyone doing more than getting intoxicated occasionally and now I know a lot of drug users and some that have died. Many of the changes are very bad and mimic what you expect in third world Countries.
Well that sure sounds idyllic...I grew up in Northern California, in the SF Bay Area. There wasn't much crime in the 50's and 60's but crime is WAY down from what it was in the late 70s through the 90's, and I'm talking burglaries, robberies, car jackings and homicides. My car got broken into so many times when I lived in Contra Costa County in the late 70's that I ended up parking it with all the doors unlocked and the windows rolled down. In the mid 60's when I was 18 or so, I would party with people who smoked weed & drank beer, but if you wandered upstairs or checked in the backyard, there were plenty of people shooting heroin and doing lines of coke.

Gang activity is down in most parts of the state too. And Cops never changed how they report crimes, if anything they were forced to report more crimes that they had previously ignored.

The bad news about now vs then, there's way too much traffic now and housing is too expensive in relationship to wages. And yes there are more homeless but there are reasons for that. Never before has a background and drug test been required to land a really crappy job, how important is it to our public safety to keep people who have an arrest record from washing the dishes in a restaurant? When those people are taken out of the job market they end up on the streets, homeless. The other problem is that large numbers of the homeless formerly lived in SRO hotels and cheap motels, but now even craptastic motel 6 costs $80 a night, so where is a homeless person with a small pension or SSI check going to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 06:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well that sure sounds idyllic...I grew up in Northern California, in the SF Bay Area. There wasn't much crime in the 50's and 60's but crime is WAY down from what it was in the late 70s through the 90's, and I'm talking burglaries, robberies, car jackings and homicides. My car got broken into so many times when I lived in Contra Costa County in the late 70's that I ended up parking it with all the doors unlocked and the windows rolled down. In the mid 60's when I was 18 or so, I would party with people who smoked weed & drank beer, but if you wandered upstairs or checked in the backyard, there were plenty of people shooting heroin and doing lines of coke.

Gang activity is down in most parts of the state too. And Cops never changed how they report crimes, if anything they were forced to report more crimes that they had previously ignored.

The bad news about now vs then, there's way too much traffic now and housing is too expensive in relationship to wages. And yes there are more homeless but there are reasons for that. Never before has a background and drug test been required to land a really crappy job, how important is it to our public safety to keep people who have an arrest record from washing the dishes in a restaurant? When those people are taken out of the job market they end up on the streets, homeless. The other problem is that large numbers of the homeless formerly lived in SRO hotels and cheap motels, but now even craptastic motel 6 costs $80 a night, so where is a homeless person with a small pension or SSI check going to live?
In some ways you are correct and of course each area is different. For some they can see the crime drop, for others they just see the crime. As for gangs there are more now because of Hispanics, Asians and believe it or not Samoans.In one city in SD County there are 5 major gangs and they control and impact a significant part of the city. Then the homeless camped everywhere like along the Santa Ana River, this is not normal to those who have lived in CA for any length of time. Then the number of people begging is way beyond the past. Drugs in the Northern part are not a surprise in the past, In the OC area it was a bit more laid back and recreation oriented and not as bad. Now of course they are everywhere. Yes the cost and low paying jobs make it even harder for people, that is just one of the reasons some say certain areas look third world. They do now. Before CA was improving and growing. Now the growth is there but not the improvements. It is sad as I am looking to move back, as I love the State, but it is frustrating.

Last edited by expatCA; 03-07-2017 at 07:06 PM..

Old 03-07-2017, 07:00 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,630,690 times
Quote:
... Drugs in the Northern part are not a surprise in the past, In the OC area it was a bit more laid back and recreation oriented and not as bad. Now of course they are everywhere. Yes the cost and low paying jobs make it even harder for people, that is just one of the reasons some say areas look third world. They do now. Before CA was improving and growing. Now the growth is there but not the improvements. It is sad as I am looking to move back, as I love the State, but it is frustrating.
This doesn't sound like Orange County. Maybe if and when you move from Tennessee to SoCal, things won't seem so scary in real life, and you will no longer have to be afraid.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:12 PM

Actually, anyone who is terrified of imaginary bogeymen in CA would probably do best staying away.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
This doesn't sound like Orange County. Maybe if and when you move from Tennessee to SoCal, things won't seem so scary in real life, and you will no longer have to be afraid.
Actually it is true, like it or not. TN is about as bad, just fewer people.

Drug Problem – Behind The Orange Curtain – Orange County, California | Behind The Orange Curtain

Teen prescription drug abuse rising in Orange County | abc7.com

Orange County, California - Drug & Alcohol Overdose Hospitalization & Death in Orange County

50 days, 55 shootings: Gangs blamed for Santa Ana's most violent week - The Orange County Register

Under siege: Santa Ana gang violence jumps to an average of a shooting a day - The Orange County Register

Check here for the gang territories in SoCal and in OC

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...431640624&z=10

Old 03-07-2017, 07:27 PM

If Orange County is so scary and terrifying, then why not just stay in Tennessee?

Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 PM

42,711 posts, read 25,867,327 times
Quote:
In some ways you are correct and of course each area is different. For some they can see the crime drop, for others they just see the crime. As for gangs there are more now because of Hispanics, Asians and believe it or not Samoans.In one city in SD County there are 5 major gangs and they control and impact a significant part of the city. Then the homeless camped everywhere like along the Santa Ana River, this is not normal to those who have lived in CA for any length of time. Then the number of people begging is way beyond the past. Drugs in the Northern part are not a surprise in the past, In the OC area it was a bit more laid back and recreation oriented and not as bad. Now of course they are everywhere. Yes the cost and low paying jobs make it even harder for people, that is just one of the reasons some say certain areas look third world. They do now. Before CA was improving and growing. Now the growth is there but not the improvements. It is sad as I am looking to move back, as I love the State, but it is frustrating.
It's gonna be fine, trust me~ move to Sac, message me and I will take you out for the best burger and Anderson Valley Stout that you have ever had in your life..you will never move away after that

Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
If Orange County is so scary and terrifying, then why not just stay in Tennessee?
The issue was not scary and terrifying but the third world appearance of much of CA now, and gangs are a major part of it. Homeless communities along the Santa Ana river, and the huge number of beggars are all typical in the third world Countries, but not CA that far in the past.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
The issue was not scary and terrifying but the third world appearance of much of CA now, and gangs are a major part of it. Homeless communities along the Santa Ana river, and the huge number of beggars are all typical in the third world Countries, but not CA that far in the past.
Yep, that sounds like major teeth-clattering fright. Again, why not just stay in Tennessee?

Old 03-07-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Yep, that sounds like major teeth-clattering fright. Again, why not just stay in Tennessee?
You are dodging the issue. Third world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California