Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times

Advertisements

Perhaps we're looking at this too narrow. Is CA worth it? Yes and No. I think for single people, people who already own homes and recently arrived immigrants, yes. For the new middle class people ready to enter the housing market and are middle income earners, probably not so much. There is only so much the weather, cool vibes/culture, and liberal politics can sway people. I know Californians wax on about weather but believe me some people could care less unless it's one of those places that gets 10 below. The cool vibes/culture thing starts to wane once you're older and ready to start a family and eventually politics do too. I mean I still don't get the mindset of living in an area based on politics. That is far down below my list when looking for a place.

This question is much more complex than a simple yes or no. CA is a uniquely terrific state that deserves all the praise it gets. I cannot stress how much of an amazing place Californians have created BUT to what extent should we praise it? That's the thing that I think irks some Californians. They want to be recognized as the best under any and all circumstances that befall the state no matter how ludicrous. And if you dissent then it's because you're a "bitter, jealous loser who can't cut it". That level of ranting strikes me as bordering on cultish. This idea that if you're disparaging any aspect of the state's policies that you're somehow anti-Californian. I think that needs to be curbed so we can start to examine some of the real issues the state is going through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 04:44 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Yet why do people continue to live there, unknownst they're getting ripped off and could get better deals in Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Oregon, etc...?
It's expensive because people want to live here, and they don't believe NV, AZ, UT, OR, etc. are "better deals". Me, I love San Diego, and if it wasn't in CA, I'd stay forever! As it is, we will be moving soon.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:46 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
California,,,,,,,,,,Love it or leave it.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
It's expensive because people want to live here, and they don't believe NV, AZ, UT, OR, etc. are "better deals". Me, I love San Diego, and if it wasn't in CA, I'd stay forever! As it is, we will be moving soon.
It's actually the whole package that other places lack that makes CA worth it in SOME regards. Not all. I fell in love with OR and Portland and felt I was getting gypped living in LA but then I thought about how small Portland actually is and how I would've felt as though I was living in a place that is prettier but still lacks the incredible amenities of LA and SoCal in general.

Many places have elements of what coastal CA has but not the years and years of development, culture and diversity of people. This is what makes CA unique.

Having said that, I think you'd have to want those things. If you're looking to just live and work, then you have the supposed "better deals" such as CO, TX, AZ, UT, OR. They're fine and offer some stuff CA does and I do think that we live in a country that is overall developing to where its no longer NY or CA or bust.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Please leave.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:19 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
It's expensive because people want to live here, and they don't believe NV, AZ, UT, OR, etc. are "better deals".
Californians, especially with families move to those states. It's cheaper to raise families, and have a decent middle class lifestyle along with good schools. I run into California escapees in those states, and that's what they tell me.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:42 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
My family was smart enough to escape, even though the state being a disaster decades ago. (This was during the Gray Davis era).
Quote:
I run into California escapees in those states, and that's what they tell me.
I notice you keep using the word "escape," as though the people who move out of California all feel lucky to leave.

Most of the people I know who have left California (and there are plenty; I've been here over 45 years) did so reluctantly. It's mostly "Sadly, we were forced to go," not so much "Lucky us, we got out!"

And if those people have come to like and appreciate the good points of their new location, so much the better. Californians also like and appreciate the good points of where they live.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:19 PM

375 posts, read 609,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's mostly "Sadly, we were forced to go," not so much "Lucky us, we got out!"
After 40 years here, I will certainly miss California. I retired two years ago and it's too expensive for me now.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:25 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I love California but I really hate this mentality.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I notice you keep using the word "escape," as though the people who move out of California all feel lucky to leave.

Most of the people I know who have left California (and there are plenty; I've been here over 45 years) did so reluctantly. It's mostly "Sadly, we were forced to go," not so much "Lucky us, we got out!"

And if those people have come to like and appreciate the good points of their new location, so much the better. Californians also like and appreciate the good points of where they live.
Yes, you will see over and over again words like "escape" and "flee". Buzz words picked up from AM talk radio. They also seem to like to make their exodus in the ever popular albeit elusive Drove. They always leave in droves. I've contacted Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, Chevrolet and others and none of them make the Drove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California