Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 02:35 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times

Advertisements

Only criminals kill cops, or anyone for that matter. So the statistical likelihood that a cop would be shot by a recidivist criminal is extremely high, early release or not. Plus because we now only use prisons to punish as opposed to rehabilitate most released convicts are coming to he outside lacking the skills or attitudes to assimilate into mainstream of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 11:21 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Uh... my viewpoint is in agreement with the Sheriff's.

Do you disagree with his viewpoint that AB109, Prop 47/57 were passed (on purely political lines I might add) without proper vetting of the effects on how it might change public safety?
Prop 57 hasn't even been implemented so it's a little silly to blame a crime on it's passage; the rules for it have not even been posted on the OAL website. AB109 basically shifted the responsibility for supervising some offenders from State Parole to County Probation departments, for the most part the Counties have done a better job than the state did. It also shifted housing for some felons sentenced to state prison to County jails, the sentences were not reduced. Prop 47 changed the classification for some crimes from felony to misdemeanor.

AB 109 and Prop 47 were passed in order to allow the state to comply with the SCOTUS order to reduce prison population. They were not politically motivated or done to 'coddle' offenders. If the State did not reduce the prison population the feds were going to do it for them and the feds had threatened that they would use any criteria they wanted to decide who should be released. In 2016 the State was in compliance with the mandated population cap but CDCR warned that the prison population was increasing and they would be over the cap within months, hence prop 57 was passed.

Property crime has increased in Counties that have decided to ignore misdemeanor offenses or write 'tickets' for them rather than booking the offender. A local gas station owner showed me a forged check that he had accepted. He thought it was ok because the woman who passed the check came to the gas station all the time. When the check bounced and the bank told him it was not even drawn on an actual account, he called the Sheriff's Dept. They told him they don't prosecute misdemeanor check cases, so he called the DA and they said they only prosecute felony fraud cases. This refusal to prosecute misdemeanor cases is a change from before prop 47 and I think that some law enforcement agencies and courts are intentionally doing this to try to get prop 47 overturned. In counties like Solano, where most misdemeanor offenders are taken to jail and required to post bail the property crime rate has not increased.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:47 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Gee, a terrible thing occurred to someone in a metro area of ten's of millions of people. How strange! Let's find our favorite obsessive issue to blame for this one act and see how much outrage we can generate online.
I wish it was just one act. 4 law enforcement officers have been killed in the last year by early release criminals.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:48 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
I wonder if Brown will have the balls to show up to this fallen officers funeral... I'm betting not

Old 02-22-2017, 07:18 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I wish it was just one act. 4 law enforcement officers have been killed in the last year by early release criminals.
he 26-year-old felon suspected of fatally shooting a Whittier police officer was not released from state prison early, the state corrections department announced Tuesday, contradicting earlier statements from police and sheriff’s officials. Suspect in Killing of Whittier Police Officer Was Not Released From Prison Early, State Says | KTLA

I have no idea who the other three cop killers are who were supposedly released early, would you please provide their names?

See the problem is that there were no early releases under AB109 or Prop 47 so this is really nonsense. Both of those measures were passed to avoid early releases that the Supreme Court had mandated.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:42 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Some quote below from a good article about the rise in crime in Orange County,CA
Criminals are basically laughing at the police these days . Sick!

Many Orange County police officials blame the surge on a state law they say makes it difficult to keep drug addicts and other low-level offenders locked up, leaving them on the streets to repeat the same crimes and steal to feed their addictions.

We used to put someone in jail for methamphetamines and they’d be in jail for a while,” said Garden Grove Police spokesman Lt. Bob Bogue. “Now it’s just a citation. It’s not uncommon to arrest the same guy twice in a single day. It’s almost like criminals are laughing in our face.”

Crime's up in Orange County; what's to blame? - The Orange County Register

Old 02-22-2017, 08:30 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I wish it was none. However, as 2sleepy points out, the information being used here to generate outrage - is flawed. Hence my earlier observations. There have been several threads previous to this on the California and its sub-forums (LA, etc.) dealing with the questions people want to hear about with regard to early release legislation. Those threads are still open. But rather than add new - accurate - information / questions, the OP has seized on flawed reporting, complete with pictures (! worth a thousand words !) to stir the pot as he likes to do with all his threads. In my opinion this is an ethically bankrupt farce launched for personal pleasure of fanning and engaging in flaming outrage.

If you have new revelations and verifiable statistics and reporting highlighting increasing failures of law enforcement due to this legislation, well, by all means share them. I don't say this sarcastically at all. Completely fair enough. Though I would point out it would be more productive brought up in related previously posted threads - to get away from this attempt at sensationalism.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Prop 47 changed the classification for some crimes from felony to misdemeanor.

AB 109 and Prop 47 were passed in order to allow the state to comply with the SCOTUS order to reduce prison population.
Exactly! Prop 47 and AB 109 "reduced prison populations" by releasing a bunch of prisoners onto public streets instead of into programs that would actually help them. What an outrage.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

See the problem is that there were no early releases under AB109 or Prop 47 so this is really nonsense.
The above from 2sleepy is false and wrong. I don't think you are well researched enough on this topic to make such false claims, please do actual research instead of making up stuff to fit an agenda. There have been hundreds of early releases due to AB109 and Prop 47.

Not ONLY that, but there has been a decrease numbering in the thousands of non-prosecutions due to AB109 and Prop 47.

According to PPIC:

Quote:
we [saw] a decline in the number of convictions for these individuals.
Less amount of convictions of people who would have normally went to prison.

Quote:
we find the share of Prop 47 defendants receiving pretrial releases increased.
During trial, DAs are now more willing to cut deals to let criminals back onto the street.

Quote:
we see a decline in the average length of stay for sentenced offenders, which resulted in less custody time.
Early releases!!!

Please stop spreading false information 2Sleepy.

http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/report/R_316MB3R.pdf

Old 02-22-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I wish it was none. However, as 2sleepy points out
2sleepy pointed out wrong info according to PPIC (Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC)).

Unless you have other information based on a study of AB109 and Prop 47.

I look forward to seeing your data and sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California