U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 02:16 PM

875 posts, read 866,784 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So, I have actually posted in here before asking general questions about the major CA cities. I was considering a move a few years ago, but didn't act on it, because I chose to take care of unfinished business (college) where I am now (Seattle). I am once again considering a move next year when I graduate (depending on job offers), for the following reasons..

- Seattle is losing it's "overcast discount". High COL alone isn't the issue, but I feel it's becoming an overpriced area these days for what it is. It's becoming expensive, but lacking some of the benefits of other expensive cities (i.e - Great mass transit, and other big city amenities). I realize it's still far cheaper than the Bay, but the gap is closing w/the SoCal cities.

- Weather. Yes, I realize it's a cliche reason, but Seattle autumns and winters are finally starting to get to me, even as a lifelong resident. I need some sunshine, or at least more varied weather!

- Family/friends leaving - Lots of friends I used to be closer with have moved away, and a couple more are actually moving to CA at the end of this year. My mother is leaving the Seattle area to retire as well. I feel there are fewer social ties up here that incentivize me to stick around, and I'm getting tired of wondering "what if" on living somewhere new. I need new experiences and adventures, and I'm willing to step out of my comfort zone to grow a little bit.

So, with that said, I will be making short trips here and there over the year to check out CA a bit more and see how I like it. If anyone can recommend me neighborhoods/adjacent towns in the SF, LA, and SD metros to check out that might be a good fit for me, it would be greatly apppreciated!

About me:

- Late 20's, approaching early 30's male.
- Single, no children
- Interests: Music (I am a musician), art, food, craft beer, nature/outdoors activities, traveling, and some geeky things.
- Degree will be in Business Administration (With options to focus on finance or IT skills for senior classes). Work background in transportation/logistics, and also in the building materials/engineering industries.

Type of area/neighborhoods I'm looking for:

- Medium density. Not in the middle of downtown, but not looking for full blown suburbia either.
- Fun things to do in the neighborhood/nearby (hopefully walking distance, or a short drive).
- Easy access to downtown areas, preferably via public transit.
- Safe/low crime.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 02:25 PM

7,463 posts, read 5,467,488 times
What's your approximate rental budget? That will help people give you better recommendations.

In San Diego, the areas that would fit what you're looking for will be located around Balboa Park: North Park, South Park, Little Italy, Hillcrest, Normal Heights, University Heights. They're all within the city of San Diego but not overly urban or suburban. If you want to be close to the beach, then Pacific Beach attracts a lot of 20-somethings.

But, of course, it really depends on where you will be working (some people want shorter commutes) and your rental budget.

Good luck with your job hunt, and congratulations on getting your degree!

Old 02-22-2017, 04:11 PM

Thanks! I've still got my fair share of coursework left, but it's coming along

Rental budget will be rather variable, because it depends on what kind of salary I could land when the time comes. The general rule of thumb I've used up here is about $300 per month for every $10k of income (i.e - $1500 for a $50K income). I know that's pushing the 30%/3x the income in rent rule by a bit, but I tend to forego things like cable TV and expensive cars, so I can be a bit more flexible with rent.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Thanks! I've still got my fair share of coursework left, but it's coming along

Rental budget will be rather variable, because it depends on what kind of salary I could land when the time comes. The general rule of thumb I've used up here is about $300 per month for every $10k of income (i.e - $1500 for a $50K income). I know that's pushing the 30%/3x the income in rent rule by a bit, but I tend to forego things like cable TV and expensive cars, so I can be a bit more flexible with rent.
Solid logic, and $1500 will get you a decent 1 bedroom in the most of the areas in San Diego I mentioned. San Diego is probably on par with Seattle for cost of living, but LA and SF are probably going to be more expensive (especially SF).

Obviously, it's all going to boil down to where you can find a job and earn enough to live comfortably.

So, don't limit just to those cities or even to California. If weather is a factor, check out other warmer weather states too, like Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, etc. I'm just guessing but there may be less competition for jobs for recent grads in some of those states and a $50,000 a year salary will go a lot farther in many cities in those states.

Since it sounds like you're already on top of things, you have probably already done this, but take advantage of everything offered by your college's career services office -- workshops, resume reviews, job fairs, on campus recruiting. And, talk to the professors in your department as well.

It's good that you have some experience in a specific area (transportation/logistics). Are you going to stick with that type of work, or do you have something else in mind? If you have a specific type of industry or job in mind, look into whether there any professional associations or trade publications for those industries/professionals and see whether they have job boards for members and/or conferences that might be networking opportunities.

You sound like you are realistic and thoughtful, and that is always be a plus with employers. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2017, 11:37 PM

BUMP

Thanks for the insight thus far, RosieSD!

Still curious for neighborhoods/neighboring towns to look into for the other metros! (I realize this is all pretty speculative at this point, but no harm in doing my homework ahead of schedule, I say!).

Old 02-28-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
BUMP

Thanks for the insight thus far, RosieSD!

Still curious for neighborhoods/neighboring towns to look into for the other metros! (I realize this is all pretty speculative at this point, but no harm in doing my homework ahead of schedule, I say!).
Hopefully you'll get some more replies here. But, if not, you'll probably get a lot more suggestions for the 3 cities if you post your question in the San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco/Bay area subforums. Many people on CD go straight to the subforum for the city where they live in or live close to and don't spend much time here in the general California forum.

Also you can use the Advanced search to do a search limited to each city's sub-forum, so you might try searching for "best neighborhoods for late 20s single". I bet you'll turn up tons of relevant past threads. Might try that first, then ask more specific questions about the areas that sound interesting in the city-relevant forum.

Good luck with your research, but I have a sense you'll end up just fine where ever you end up.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-28-2017 at 01:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California