U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:47 PM

176 posts, read 169,288 times

Advertisements

Had a weird experience today. posted an ad on craigslist to sell my old but in fair condition car, price was reasonable.

Met up with a potential buyer at a public place, she came with two guys and started telling me sobbing stories from the get go. Took the car for a quick spin, literally just around the block and less than 5 minutes. Then she said she wanted the car and she'll take care of all dmv paperworks and no need for me to do smog check. After much pleading the guilt tripping me, I agreed to her price although somewhat lower than I'd like.

When filling out the release of liability, I asked for her ID, this is where she turned ugly and questioned why I'd need to see that and said that I asked too much questions. She demanded her money back which I gladly did and we parted way.

They conversed in a foreign dialect among themselves which I can't really make out what it's.

This was the first time I experienced something like this, albeit I haven't tried to sell a car on craigslist in a long time. Gut feeling tells me they were planning to do something illegal? Just a wild guess.

Many years ago, I sold a car to a car flipper. He told me to leave the buyer info blank but he had no issue showing me his ID.

Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 08:07 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,481,893 times
Yeah - if they won't provide ID, don't sell to them.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:20 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,525,568 times
If they didn't want their name showing up in the DMV database on the Release of Liability, then, yes, they were up to no good with the car.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:25 PM

2,790 posts, read 2,241,989 times
I never sell a car without adding recording the mileage, and adding the purchaser to the title, and copying the signed document for my records.
What they do with it after that is none of my business, but I am a strong believer in CYA.
I don't ask for ID, or anything, but they got to put a name on the title, and sign.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 PM

5,671 posts, read 3,536,945 times
I sold a car and never got the buyers name and so I didn't send in the release of liability. He never transferred the title into his name. That led to 6 months of extreme stress, prayers, worry and time loss. It finallyl got impounded and although I had to pay all fees that was the best thing to get rid of this nightmare.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 AM

22,165 posts, read 25,392,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_water View Post
Had a weird experience today. posted an ad on craigslist to sell my old but in fair condition car, price was reasonable.

Met up with a potential buyer at a public place, she came with two guys and started telling me sobbing stories from the get go. Took the car for a quick spin, literally just around the block and less than 5 minutes. Then she said she wanted the car and she'll take care of all dmv paperworks and no need for me to do smog check. After much pleading the guilt tripping me, I agreed to her price although somewhat lower than I'd like.

When filling out the release of liability, I asked for her ID, this is where she turned ugly and questioned why I'd need to see that and said that I asked too much questions. She demanded her money back which I gladly did and we parted way.

They conversed in a foreign dialect among themselves which I can't really make out what it's.

This was the first time I experienced something like this, albeit I haven't tried to sell a car on craigslist in a long time. Gut feeling tells me they were planning to do something illegal? Just a wild guess.

Many years ago, I sold a car to a car flipper. He told me to leave the buyer info blank but he had no issue showing me his ID.

Any thoughts?
They first party was most likely going to use the car for something illegal and didn't want the car traced to them.

The second guy was most likely flipping the car and if you filled out the release he would have to register it. Most likely he was going to pass the car off as his or selling it for a "friend"

Stories like this is why I ALWAYS want the car out of my name immediately. I don't GAF about the release and I'm not liable because the law says once I fillit out I'm not responsible . I know plenty of people who filled out the releases and sent them in and were never filed and the sale came back to bite them. And I know people who sold the car ignored the filings and the buyer never registered the car. And it bit them back because the buyer racked up tickets or a accident.
I have walked away from sales if the buyer balks at my terms. I make it clear before the buyer even comes to look at it. I meet at AAA. I sold cars and the person that shows up has no issues. I explain why. The ones that balk are usually over the phone. And a non negotiable term is the car gets put in your name at the time if the sale. I don't want to deal with the possible consequences

Old 02-26-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
They first party was most likely going to use the car for something illegal and didn't want the car traced to them.

The second guy was most likely flipping the car and if you filled out the release he would have to register it. Most likely he was going to pass the car off as his or selling it for a "friend"

Stories like this is why I ALWAYS want the car out of my name immediately. I don't GAF about the release and I'm not liable because the law says once I fillit out I'm not responsible . I know plenty of people who filled out the releases and sent them in and were never filed and the sale came back to bite them. And I know people who sold the car ignored the filings and the buyer never registered the car. And it bit them back because the buyer racked up tickets or a accident.
I have walked away from sales if the buyer balks at my terms. I make it clear before the buyer even comes to look at it. I meet at AAA. I sold cars and the person that shows up has no issues. I explain why. The ones that balk are usually over the phone. And a non negotiable term is the car gets put in your name at the time if the sale. I don't want to deal with the possible consequences
So even if I've filed the release of liability, I'm still responsible for any tickets/accidents before the buyer has done the transfer of title?

if so, what good is the RoL for?

Old 02-26-2017, 09:52 AM

22,165 posts, read 25,392,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_water View Post
So even if I've filed the release of liability, I'm still responsible for any tickets/accidents before the buyer has done the transfer of title?

if so, what good is the RoL for?
If it never gets actually in the computer you would have to prove that the car was sold prior to the ticket/accident. You should keep a copy for your records as proof. It's still the hassle factor I don't want to deal with. Way I see it is things get lost in the mail and unless you just trust your state DMV to do their job correctly........

I had plenty of friends who had to go through a plethora of crap to get things resolved when they sold a car and something came back because the new owner simply didn't register the car. I found (for my state and really for me ) the best way is to simply is to transfer ownership at the time of the sale. Because I simply dint trust people to do it in a timely manner.

I have sold all my personal vehicles since about 1995 and I have yet to have a problem by simply transferring ownership at the time of the sale

Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If it never gets actually in the computer you would have to prove that the car was sold prior to the ticket/accident. You should keep a copy for your records as proof. It's still the hassle factor I don't want to deal with. Way I see it is things get lost in the mail and unless you just trust your state DMV to do their job correctly........

I had plenty of friends who had to go through a plethora of crap to get things resolved when they sold a car and something came back because the new owner simply didn't register the car. I found (for my state and really for me ) the best way is to simply is to transfer ownership at the time of the sale. Because I simply dint trust people to do it in a timely manner.

I have sold all my personal vehicles since about 1995 and I have yet to have a problem by simply transferring ownership at the time of the sale
But if I file the RoL online (Calif dmv website) which gives me a confirmation, that should be good enough proof, right? How about plus a Bill of Sale

Old 02-26-2017, 12:25 PM

190 posts, read 269,775 times
I've sold a few cars on CL in the past and always make the terms perfectly clear which has, thankfully, made for an easy hassle free transaction. I only negotiate in person, not through email, txt, or over the phone. Buyer must present a current state driver's license along with a recent utility bill with matching address. I do not take payments and only accept cash, bank cashier's check or a postal money order.

However, it never fails as CL is a haven for low-lives, someone will always have a story and want something for nothing but they get the same answer from me, NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: