Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 06:26 PM

661 posts, read 691,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The $9,220 is for all students k-12. Tuition for a Catholic child in elementary school is probably about $600 a month but Catholic High School Tuition for Jesuit here in Sacramento is $14,500 and Christian Brothers is $13,000.
Heh, I went to CB for a year, small world. Public school for the other few years and ended up with a UC degree followed by my little sibling who also came out of public schools and is now an Ivy League grad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A simple answer is to reduce the number of administrators to match what we had in, say, 1950 as measured by several metrics including # of administrators as a percentage of total employment and # of administrators as a percentage of total enrollment.
That's a simple answer, yes, but an actual solution is much more complicated than that.

Do you have statistics that show administration and pure teaching position numbers from the 50s? Are you just guessing that administration numbers have greatly increased? I'm having a hard time finding the data. If general civil servant per capita numbers for California are lower than many states (economies of scale) I would hazard a guess that education is in a similar situation.

Go to your normal public K-12 school, you have a few secretaries, a few janitors, a couple counselors, principal, VP, and maybe a teacher-in-charge/second VP type. True, we didn't have county offices of education in the 50's that staffed educational development experts, curriculum development staff, teacher development coaches, etc.

We have more complexity in our school system than in the 1950s (performance standards, more niche subjects, technology, etc.) and are accelerating the development of curriculum and truly the nature of what school is. A public school classroom changed much less from 1950-1970 than from 1990-2010.

On the whole I think we need to significantly increase public primary education funding in America. Maybe once the millennials get in power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 09:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
bottom line: give school choice a chance
There is already school choice in California. Parent's can send their kid to the local public school or utilize open enrollment for a different public school, or they can enroll their child in a public charter school or pay for a private school. I'm not sure how much more choice parents need

Old 03-01-2017, 09:35 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What's wrong with this picture?

Answer: a bloated administration.
Damn son.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
The system is not insolvent and will not become insolvent, that's silly..and by the way teachers are typically part of CalSTRS not CalPERS CalSTRS is funded at 68.5% & CalPERS is 68% funded
Yes it is insolvent. Without CA taxpayer backing, Calpers and CalSTRS would implode spectacularly.

Yes they are 68% funded (they were 100% funded pre-2000). Where will the other 32% of unfunded liabilities come from?

(plot twist: It's coming from your tax dollars 2sleepy)

Old 03-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Regarding class size which you claim is 36-38, that is highly unlikely because California Education Code (EC) sections 41376 and 41378 prescribe the maximum class sizes and penalties for districts with any classes that exceed the limits established in 1964.
Those ECs haven't been followed since 1996.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:54 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
There is already school choice in California. Parent's can send their kid to the local public school or utilize open enrollment for a different public school, or they can enroll their child in a public charter school or pay for a private school. I'm not sure how much more choice parents need
good luck trying to enroll your kid in Irvine if you don't live there

Old 03-02-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Or any decent school district.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Sorry I assumed that you understood that school choice generally refers to public and charter schools within your school district. So you are probably right in that if you live in Bakersfield you probably will not be able to enroll your child in a school in Sacramento

Old 03-02-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Sorry I assumed that you understood that school choice generally refers to public and charter schools within your school district. So you are probably right in that if you live in Bakersfield you probably will not be able to enroll your child in a school in Sacramento
... and that's exactly what type of school choice people in THIS thread have been talking about.

See this is what happens when you don't pay attention (or don't care) about what people are actually discussing. You end up making comments that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
... and that's exactly what type of school choice people in THIS thread have been talking about.
See this is what happens when you don't pay attention (or don't care) about what people are actually discussing. You end up making comments that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Well, I am so very sorry! I had no idea we were talking about being able to choose a school in a another part of the state, or do you think that 'school choice' also means being able to enroll your child in out of state schools as well..or maybe international schools? I will certainly pay more attention in the future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California