Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 05:52 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times

Advertisements

Robert Stark interviews Zoltan Istvan - The Stark Truth With Robert Stark

This California gubernatorial candidate wants state-funded 'universal basic income' for everyone - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 07:17 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
We should have a basic state income of $250,000/year. We can fund this from taxes charged people who work those minimum hourly jobs required to be $15/hour.

The poor too should be charged to support a reasonable income for people who want nice lifestyles but aren't willing to work for them.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:12 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
We should have a basic state income of $250,000/year. We can fund this from taxes charged people who work those minimum hourly jobs required to be $15/hour.

The poor too should be charged to support a reasonable income for people who want nice lifestyles but aren't willing to work for them.
Your quip shows you don't know anything at all about Basic Income Guarantee. Why not look it up and read about it? Fascinating concept that is increasingly embraced by conservative, liberal, and libertarian economists alike. Quite a trick, eh? In fact, it is paid for not by increasing taxes at all, but by totally eliminating all welfare programs and dividing that budget into equal payments for every citizen of emancipated age. Warren Buffet would get a check every month in the same amount as Joe Sixpack the drunk malingerer. Experiments in Canadian communities and elsewhere internationally demonstrated that employment participation actually increases under the program - which is the opposite of what you infer and what most people assume.

Go ahead. Hit your search engine. Look it up. Then come back and tell us your thoughts.

With AI, robotics, automation rapidly decimating the workforce - leaders in AI estimate the workforce will be reduced by at least 1/3 in less than 20 years (and no, not replaced with new kinds of employment - just that many people permanently out of work) - B.I.G. will be adopted worldwide over the next decades because there is no other solution to maintaining the consumer population.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:13 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
In fact, it is paid for not by increasing taxes at all, but by totally eliminating all welfare programs and dividing that budget into equal payments for every citizen of emancipated age. Warren Buffet would get a check every month in the same amount as Joe Sixpack the drunk malingerer. .
I still have trouble seeing how basic income would make a difference if everyone gets the same basic income payment.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I still have trouble seeing how basic income would make a difference if everyone gets the same basic income payment.
Yes, because inflation would cancel out any benefit.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:51 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Your quip shows you don't know anything at all about Basic Income Guarantee. Why not look it up and read about it? Fascinating concept that is increasingly embraced by conservative, liberal, and libertarian economists alike. Quite a trick, eh? In fact, it is paid for not by increasing taxes at all, but by totally eliminating all welfare programs and dividing that budget into equal payments for every citizen of emancipated age. Warren Buffet would get a check every month in the same amount as Joe Sixpack the drunk malingerer.
How about we skip the government hand outs and I just keep all the money I worked for.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:15 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Your quip shows you don't know anything at all about Basic Income Guarantee.
No, it shows I don't care. My parents taught me that people who want more must work more or work smarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes, because inflation would cancel out any benefit.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
How about we skip the government hand outs and I just keep all the money I worked for.
Too simple. That would force people who want free handouts to work instead.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
No, it shows I don't care. My parents taught me that people who want more must work more or work smarter.

Exactly!

Too simple. That would force people who want free handouts to work instead.
The last time I was in the UK, my agent spoke of the payments those not working get. This would be similar. The problem is that the cost of living there is higher than here and, checking with my European agent, normal pay is the same as here. Costs more and paid less and overall higher taxes. The money has to come from somewhere. The idea sounds good, a feel good idea, but it does not work that well in practice.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:33 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
I've really been interested in this lately. As machines take over more jobs, including AI taking over creative types of jobs,
when do we get to the point where there just aren't enough jobs to go around? Do we start limiting births?
Just for those people, I work and always have and see no retirement in my future so don't misconstrue my interest as malingering or wanting your money.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I've really been interested in this lately. As machines take over more jobs, including AI taking over creative types of jobs,
when do we get to the point where there just aren't enough jobs to go around? Do we start limiting births?
Just for those people, I work and always have and see no retirement in my future so don't misconstrue my interest as malingering or wanting your money.
It is a problem and no real solution in sight. Machines cost less over time than people, no taxes, medical ins, Workman's Comp, maternal leave, sick days, vacations, etc.

A guaranteed income could work, but the cost would destroy the middle class and leave the rich and the poor. In effect it would be Social Security for everyone and then medical would become an issue? The end result? Kinda like CA is heading now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: