Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,374,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The democrats are snakes and wolves in sheep clothing. They go after things like gas taxes and sales taxes because they know the poor have to drive to work and buy things to live on, thus insuring public employee unions and their politicians sky-high salary and pensions.

These kind of things hurt the poor far more than some illegal being deported, but the bottom-half of their voter base is too stupid to see it. They ought be to screaming, "Not my Party." over this.
Politicians, perhaps, but the bulk of public employees, not so. That's a myth which is a nice way of saying, an untruth. My wife and I are both retired state employees. I was a manager, she was not. Neither of us ever received "sky-high" salaries and neither do our pensions reach such a level. I will, however, admit that as a trade-off, our benefits are excellent. As a cost saving measure, recent employees will not receive the same level.

This pension envy is a constant theme in this forum. The cure is easy. Stop electing tax-and-spend governors and members of the state legislature, county boards of supervisors, and city mayors and city councils. The people of the state have only themselves to blame.

Edited to add: As others have pointed out, "Yes!" SB1 will hurt the poorest among you the most. For many, roughly $2 more to fill your car may not seem like a lot but over time it will hurt those at the lower end of the pay scale. Average price per gallon in CA appears to be about $2.75/$2.80. (correct me if I'm wrong as I no longer live there) as CA has it's own allowable formula for fuel. Here it's around $1.99 this week. The difference adds up quickly. Increases in diesel fuel will be reflected in higher costs for goods. Again, the poor get slammed. Not good!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 03-10-2017 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-10-2017, 09:28 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,957,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Politicians, perhaps, but the bulk of public employees, not so. That's a myth which is a nice way of saying, an untruth. My wife and I are both retired state employees. I was a manager, she was not. Neither of us ever received "sky-high" salaries and neither do our pensions reach such a level. I will, however, admit that as a trade-off, our benefits are excellent. As a cost saving measure, recent employees will not receive the same level.

This pension envy is a constant theme in this forum. The cure is easy. Stop electing tax-and-spend governors and members of the state legislature, county boards of supervisors, and city mayors and city councils. The people of the state have only themselves to blame.

Edited to add: As others have pointed out, "Yes!" SB1 will hurt the poorest among you the most. For many, roughly $2 more to fill your car may not seem like a lot but over time it will hurt those at the lower end of the pay scale. Average price per gallon in CA appears to be about $2.75/$2.80. (correct me if I'm wrong as I no longer live there) as CA has it's own allowable formula for fuel. Here it's around $1.99 this week. The difference adds up quickly. Increases in diesel fuel will be reflected in higher costs for goods. Again, the poor get slammed. Not good!
I will go a step further.

Any tax grab prop/bill/bond ever passed in California for the past 20 years for "infrastructure/schools/for the kids/etc" has hurt the poor people the most. Measure M in OC, and Measure H in LA County will absolutely have the biggest effect tax-wise on the poor in those counties.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:18 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,957,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
It's so good that the GOP is back in power to lower taxes.
Yeah it's the GOP's fault that debt and taxes went up the past 8 years.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:39 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,268,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
But why do we need this if the budget is balanced. Fake news.
the budget is not balanced anymore. the higher incomes they anticipated didn't come
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California