Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 PM

7 posts, read 10,888 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to move to Clovis from the Bay Area. We have chosen Clovis for its relative safety, especially when compared to Fresno. Safety is extremely important to us because we like to take out the dog on walks in the evening. We have been looking at an apartment on W. Barstow and Villa Avenue, but were wondering if it is a safe neighborhood. I would love some feedback from local residents on some of the best and worst neighborhoods in Clovis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 09:05 PM

266 posts, read 334,417 times
Apartment break ins are rare everywhere in clovis. Car break ins can be an issue if it isn't a gated apt(gates do help, trust me) and you're near Fresno state. Clovis doesn't have any real ghettos, but there's more crime in west Clovis because its connected to Fresno.

There's lots of gated apts on Clovis avenue and near the sierra vista mall. I'd shoot for one of those instead. I don't think they will cost you anymore money either! There's also bike trails and better shopping near these other apts

Old 03-15-2017, 11:54 AM

764 posts, read 2,036,981 times
Barstow and Villa isn't a great area. Not terrible, but not great. I'd stick with 93611 and 93619 zip codes. Maybe avoid 93612.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:06 PM

49 posts, read 83,216 times
The best place in Clovis is the Wild Water Adventure Park.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:10 AM

478 posts, read 691,111 times
North Fresno, north of shaw is just as safe and closer to more stuff. I hope you didn't buy into the hype that many Clovis residents do to make it seem like Fresno is oakland. In fact fresno is a pretty safe city for its big population
Most Dangerous Cities in California - Graham Donath (see section on biggest cities)

what many clovis people fail to forget is clovis only has 100,000 people. Fresno has over 500,000. It is the 5th biggest city in CA afterall, so obviously many different social classes and good and bad areas. You are from the Bay right? So is all of San Jose all fine and dandy as people outside looking in think it is? East side San Jose anybody? Oh SF too? So hunters point and richmond, visitation valley all great areas just you have an SF address? Same thing in Fresno. Just the north section of Fresno matches Clovis population and have similar demographics and safe neighborhoods. Very narrow minded thinking by many Clovis folks sometimes.

Clovis needs Fresno more than Fresno needs Clovis. I assure you, you will be in Fresno a lot more than you think. Their water park isn't even as good as the one in Fresno. Bringing your kids to the major colleges? Fresno State and Fresno Pacific--nope that isn't Clovis if you want to stay in clovis. You drive around north fresno from figgarden area and east towards clovis, all north of shaw, many parts are just as nice if not nicer (van ness area, figarden) The mall? oh sierra vista looks nice on the outside, but its crap. dated with no relevant stores. You will be going to Fresno at Fashion Fair, river park, figarden village. Oh the award winning Clovis School district? Pssh, huge part of north east fresno IS in the clovis school district.

Clovis is definitely more conservative too. If that is a big deal to you.

Just saying, dont limit yourself, unless you really want to be towards the edge of clovis where its more country type feel, but the location you gave isn't even that. The fresno border is just down the block from where you are interested in. I understand those who want seclusion and buying a home, they love to be there on the edge by harlan ranch, super suburbia away from everything, but your request in apartment location you are looking at still is in a pretty busy area. With more quiet and peaceful areas again n fresno from nw, to ne-----except pinedale area.

big plus with clovis though, during xmas time, when its time to dispose the tree you can just leave it at the curb. In fresno they want you to cut it in sections and stuff it into the bin!? that alone might be enough for you to officially live in the clovis borders.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
North Fresno, north of shaw is just as safe and closer to more stuff. I hope you didn't buy into the hype that many Clovis residents do to make it seem like Fresno is oakland. In fact fresno is a pretty safe city for its big population
Most Dangerous Cities in California - Graham Donath (see section on biggest cities)

what many clovis people fail to forget is clovis only has 100,000 people. Fresno has over 500,000. It is the 5th biggest city in CA afterall, so obviously many different social classes and good and bad areas. You are from the Bay right? So is all of San Jose all fine and dandy as people outside looking in think it is? East side San Jose anybody? Oh SF too? So hunters point and richmond, visitation valley all great areas just you have an SF address? Same thing in Fresno. Just the north section of Fresno matches Clovis population and have similar demographics and safe neighborhoods. Very narrow minded thinking by many Clovis folks sometimes.

Clovis needs Fresno more than Fresno needs Clovis. I assure you, you will be in Fresno a lot more than you think. Their water park isn't even as good as the one in Fresno. Bringing your kids to the major colleges? Fresno State and Fresno Pacific--nope that isn't Clovis if you want to stay in clovis. You drive around north fresno from figgarden area and east towards clovis, all north of shaw, many parts are just as nice if not nicer (van ness area, figarden) The mall? oh sierra vista looks nice on the outside, but its crap. dated with no relevant stores. You will be going to Fresno at Fashion Fair, river park, figarden village. Oh the award winning Clovis School district? Pssh, huge part of north east fresno IS in the clovis school district.

Clovis is definitely more conservative too. If that is a big deal to you.

Just saying, dont limit yourself, unless you really want to be towards the edge of clovis where its more country type feel, but the location you gave isn't even that. The fresno border is just down the block from where you are interested in. I understand those who want seclusion and buying a home, they love to be there on the edge by harlan ranch, super suburbia away from everything, but your request in apartment location you are looking at still is in a pretty busy area. With more quiet and peaceful areas again n fresno from nw, to ne-----except pinedale area.

big plus with clovis though, during xmas time, when its time to dispose the tree you can just leave it at the curb. In fresno they want you to cut it in sections and stuff it into the bin!? that alone might be enough for you to officially live in the clovis borders.
Clovis is Fresno or all intents and purposes. Better school district, but I defy the average person not watching the street signs to figure out when they drove out of one into the other. Clovis is just as handy to restaurants and shopping as most neighborhoods in Fresno since its more or less one big conglomeration all tied together with the same freeway system.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:41 AM

478 posts, read 691,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Clovis is Fresno or all intents and purposes. Better school district, but I defy the average person not watching the street signs to figure out when they drove out of one into the other. Clovis is just as handy to restaurants and shopping as most neighborhoods in Fresno since its more or less one big conglomeration all tied together with the same freeway system.
BeauCharles I agree of course. I'm def pro fresno/clovis but I run into other similar bantering from Clovis residents that try to deny that and act like Clovis is so different from Fresno and its such a better city. I did not want to come off that way, but sometimes I feel the comparison isn't even fair. Then I see ridiculous things like, avoid Fresno, but oh Clovis is ok? really? As you said Clovis IS Fresno, and Fresno IS Clovis in my view.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:18 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,981 times
FYI, parts of Fresno are in the Clovis Unified School District. The districts don't follow city borders.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:25 AM

Thank you all for the great feedback. We have chosen Villa and Barstow as our new home. We're from San Francisco so we can take a little grit and don't want to be too far out and away from major shopping malls, restaurants, etc. We are willing to compromise price for a little "urbanization," so long as there aren't gunshots being heard every night or apartment break-ins or dirty sidewalks where we live - and, of course, we want to be near diverse cultures and races. Thanks again for all the great advice and I look forward to being a new member of your community!

Old 03-29-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
Barstow and Villa isn't a great area. Not terrible, but not great. I'd stick with 93611 and 93619 zip codes. Maybe avoid 93612.
Is it really that bad? We went for a visit and, aside from being at the intersection of a busy street, it seemed very clean and safe. Have you heard any specific stories concerning crime in that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California