Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:58 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most of the studies showing that there are dangerous substances created by vaping were sponsored by the cigarette industry. They may not be perfectly safe, but they are safe enough that both the UK and New Zealand recommend their use to cigarette smokers.
Hmmm....the link I posted about e-cigarettes was from WebMD.

I know three kids in their twenties--one is my nephew--who've taken up e-cigarettes in order to quit smoking, and they're still vaping. Anecodotal evidence, I realize, but still...the whole "e-cigarettes aren't bad for you" myth is, I'm afraid, just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 08:17 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Wait, nicotine isn't harmful?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

Darn those wiki pages

Old 04-11-2017, 08:19 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wait, nicotine isn't harmful?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine
Darn those wiki pages
dang..you didn't even read your own source. It is addictive, I think everyone knows that but as far as harmful? From your source:

Beyond addiction, both short and long-term nicotine exposure have not been established as dangerous to adults

Old 04-11-2017, 08:44 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Hmmm....the link I posted about e-cigarettes was from WebMD.

I know three kids in their twenties--one is my nephew--who've taken up e-cigarettes in order to quit smoking, and they're still vaping. Anecodotal evidence, I realize, but still...the whole "e-cigarettes aren't bad for you" myth is, I'm afraid, just that.
The three kids you mention, are they still smoking cigarettes? If not then they exchanged one habit for another but the new one is 95% less harmful

Regarding your web md article:

Formaldehyde - debunked https://www.clivebates.com/?p=2706

Acetaldehyde Aldehydes are emitted by electronic cigarettes due to thermal decomposition of liquid components. Although elevated levels have been reported with new-generation high-power devices, it is unclear whether they are relevant to true exposure of users (vapers) because overheating produces an unpleasant taste, called a dry puff, which vapers learn to avoid. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25996087
Acrolein Same issue as acetaldehyde, these are released in what is is called 'dry puff' conditions. Study - The E-Cig Formaldehyde Scare Was Due to Dry Puffs

Bottom line, I believe in harm reduction whether for a cigarette smoker or a heroin addict. I don't think it makes sense to reject the good for the perfect. Ecigs are far, far less dangerous than cigarettes. People quit smoking using them, As popularity of e-cigarettes rises, more smokers are able to quit, study says - LA Times.

I have friends who quit smoking by vaping, these were long term cigarette smokers who tried everything else available.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:50 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,090 times
Hang in there Sleepy. You're in the right on this one.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:43 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
dang..you didn't even read your own source. It is addictive, I think everyone knows that but as far as harmful? From your source:

Beyond addiction, both short and long-term nicotine exposure have not been established as dangerous to adults
In other words it may be it may not be, not any evidence yet. However nicotine poisoning is a danger and a smoker must be careful for himself and others, like children.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002510.htm

This was interesting:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0446.html

cardiac arrhythmias; convulsions, dyspnea (breathing difficulty)

Old 04-11-2017, 02:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
The three kids you mention, are they still smoking cigarettes? If not then they exchanged one habit for another but the new one is 95% less harmful

Acetaldehyde Aldehydes are emitted by electronic cigarettes due to thermal decomposition of liquid components. Although elevated levels have been reported with new-generation high-power devices, it is unclear whether they are relevant to true exposure of users (vapers) because overheating produces an unpleasant taste, called a dry puff, which vapers learn to avoid. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25996087
Acrolein Same issue as acetaldehyde, these are released in what is is called 'dry puff' conditions. Study - The E-Cig Formaldehyde Scare Was Due to Dry Puffs

Bottom line, I believe in harm reduction whether for a cigarette smoker or a heroin addict. I don't think it makes sense to reject the good for the perfect. Ecigs are far, far less dangerous than cigarettes. People quit smoking using them, As popularity of e-cigarettes rises, more smokers are able to quit, study says - LA Times.

I have friends who quit smoking by vaping, these were long term cigarette smokers who tried everything else available.
Yes, anything safer than smoking and will help a person quit, is a good idea.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:59 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
The three kids you mention, are they still smoking cigarettes? If not then they exchanged one habit for another...
No, they vape only now, and tell everyone how they "kicked the cigarette habit."

Quote:

One is a blog, another a study done in a "Clinic office and analytical chemistry laboratory in Greece." The abstract doesn't mention the size of the sample they studied. I'm afraid I stopped reading there...

Old 04-11-2017, 05:24 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:

Vape away, I could care less. Don't forget, cigs were thought to be harmless and even handed out to troops. Seeing my Mom carrying an oxygen tank around just p*sses me off.

Funny how so many advocate for clean water, clean air, worry about chemicals in our food yet voluntarily self medicate with something that has no history of long term. Beautiful.

Nicotine in the form of nicotine replacement products is less of a cancer risk than smoking.[19] Nicotine is linked to possible birth defects.[21] During pregnancy, there are risks to the child later in life for type 2 diabetes, obesity, hypertension, neurobehavioral defects, respiratory dysfunction, and infertility.[20] The use of electronic cigarettes, which are designed to be refilled with nicotine-containing e-liquid, has raised concerns over nicotine overdoses, especially with regard to the possibility of young children ingesting the liquids.[22]

Old 04-12-2017, 07:54 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Because I don't want to smell that disgusting tobacco smell. I don't want our streets, the bay, and potted plants everywhere to be full of cigarette butts. I don't want more forest fires. I don't want MediCal and Medicaid to be shouldered with the hospital bills from your lung cancer.
Tobacco is a well-proven appetite depressant, which partly explains the rise in obesity, and then we're looking at some substantial health costs as a result of that, far more substantial than that associated with lung cancer.

In 1999, England took in $11 billion in tobacco tax revenue, and only $2 billion of that went to treat those with respiratory health problems as a result of it.

Also, England had jacked up the taxes on tobacco so high it brought in a thriving black market, forcing England to lower the tobacco taxes, and that may be in store for California. Yes, a pack of cig's may go for $10-12 in NYC, but Pennsylvania smartly took advantage of it and kept their tobacco taxes very low. Only 80 miles from NYC to Philly! New Jersey is also lower, and you can merely take the boat across from Manhattan to Hoboken and stock up!

NV is also debating an increase in tobacco taxes this current legislative session. They already raised it the year before, and, in the process, we lost out on our smuggling business, as we were the lowest in the SW.

It's been awhile since I bought cigarettes in Tijuana, but the last time I did, you were allowed 4 cartons. So all this should be good news to Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California