Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 03:54 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times

Advertisements

California taxes are mostly an issue for the upper middle class, 2-income earning families which also happen to be the majority of homeowners, who are subsidizing the massive underclass of this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Their is more to taxes than just property tax. California ranks top 5 in the nation on tax burden when combining all levels of tax. California is also one of the worst states to live in when comparing cost of living, which includes taxes.
so..why don't you move?

Old 04-07-2017, 02:32 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
I am still baffled trying to figure out how anyone that has ever filed a tax return could even ask this question.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:21 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I am still baffled trying to figure out how anyone that has ever filed a tax return could even ask this question.
Because they look at the tax table in the back that tells them what their taxes are for their income. There is no mention of the tax being progressively higher for higher incomes.

It is the same thing with "tax deductions." People think they are actually able to deduct whatever dollar amount that is eligible for a tax deduction from their tax liability. The reality is that dollar amount is subtracted from your taxable income. And that has a much smaller reduction in your tax liability than most people think.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:12 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Because they look at the tax table in the back that tells them what their taxes are for their income. There is no mention of the tax being progressively higher for higher incomes.

It is the same thing with "tax deductions." People think they are actually able to deduct whatever dollar amount that is eligible for a tax deduction from their tax liability. The reality is that dollar amount is subtracted from your taxable income. And that has a much smaller reduction in your tax liability than most people think.
I understand that, but if you file taxes, then you know there is federal plus state, and they are separate documents, so you would have to be aware that the State does not "include" the Federal amounts.

I can only theorize that the poster either has never filed a return, or has never actually had any tax liability.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:22 PM

178 posts, read 173,609 times
I earn about 130k and if I subtract everything I pay to a government agency, I pay 63.4% of my income in taxes of some sort. I dont really have any deductions because my house is paid for but My property taxes are low too.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:28 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Do you earn over $1,000,000 annually? If not you will not be paying 13% in state income tax. Perhaps you have been reading too many posts on this forum contributed by uninformed whiners?
TAXES
State taxes: California
By Kay Bell • Bankrate.com

Taxes » Income Taxes » State Taxes »

California's 9 state income tax rates range from 1% to 12.3%. The Golden State also assesses a 1% surcharge on taxable incomes of $1 million or more. More on California taxes can be found in the tabbed pages below.

Personal income tax
California collects income tax from its residents at the following rates.

For single and married filing separately taxpayers:

1% on the first $7,850 of taxable income.
2% on taxable income between $7,851 and $18,610.
4% on taxable income between $18,611 and $29,372.
6% on taxable income between $29,373 and $40,773.
8% on taxable income between $40,774 and $51,530.
9.3% on taxable income between $51,531 and $263,222.
10.3% on taxable income between $263,223 and 315,866.
11.3% on taxable income between $315,867 and $526,443.
12.3% on taxable income of $526,444 and above.

A 1% surcharge, the mental health services tax, is collected on taxable incomes of $1 million or more, making California's highest marginal rate 13.3%.
Do you even live here? Looking beyond your uninformed accusation of whiners:

We have the highest sales tax rates in the country. We pay 400% more for parking and moving violations. We also pay some of the highest utility rates in the country, along with all the state welfare add-on taxes which pays for assistance programs. Now we are paying additional sin taxes that just kicked in a few days ago which nearly doubled the price of tobacco products. We had a midnight passing of an increased wine and spirits tax back in 2012. We've had multi-billion dollar tax hikes every 2 years since Brown took office to "pay for teachers.".. if there's anything left over that is.

We multi generation Californians have good reason to whine since we have been hammered over the last 30 years by some fairly usurious taxes, yet our state is still on the verge of bankruptcy.

Now we'll be paying $6B more a year at the pump for 10 years ($56B), and we're paying for a bullet train that's billions over budget (go figure) and 7 years over deadline (go figure)!

Yea... I'll complain, especially loud, when arrogant fools tell me that "I'm whining".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
so..why don't you move?
Have you really not noticed that we have been?
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...e-state-droves

Natives are leaving in droves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
In California, as long as the property is not sold, future increases in assessed value are limited to an annual inflation factor of no more than 2%. That's the beauty of Proposition 13 for people who choose to stay in their home and not move every five years.
THAT is the one saving grace that has survived. Brown fought it the first time he was Gov, and actually considered trying to gut it this time around... except he wanted to be re-elected so he shelved the idea.

I'll never sell my home, I'll take a new loan out on it and rent it out. All interest and costs will be deductible and I'll use the loan to pay cash for a new home in a state that hasn't lost its mind.

Last edited by steven_h; 04-08-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 04-08-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
We have the highest sales tax rates in the country.
We have the highest state tax rate at 7.5% but we do not have the highest sales tax when you combine local sales tax with state sales tax:

"California has the highest state-level sales tax rate, at 7.25 percent.[2] Four states tie for the second-highest statewide rate, at 7 percent: Indiana, Mississippi, Rhode Island, and Tennessee. The five states with the highest average combined state-local sales tax rates are Tennessee (9.45 percent), Arkansas (9.26 percent), Alabama (8.91 percent), Louisiana (8.91 percent), and Washington (8.89 percent)."
https://taxfoundation.org/state-and-...rates-in-2017/
Quote:
We pay 400% more for parking and moving violations.
Strike 2, not even close to being right.
Worst states for speeding ticket fines: #5 is California

Most expensive states for speeding tickets: Virginia and Illinois have the most expensive speeding fines, with the maximum set at $2,500. Following that are Georgia and Nevada, with maximum fines at $2,000.
Quote:
We also pay some of the highest utility rates in the country, along with all the state welfare add-on taxes which pays for assistance programs. . We've had multi-billion dollar tax hikes every 2 years since Brown took office to "pay for teachers.".. if there's anything left over that is.
Strike 3 & 4 There are 6 states with higher utility rates and there is no "welfare add on"
Quote:
The only source you bothered to provide for any of your claims doesn't support your premise that "Natives are leaving in droves" There is nothing in that article that compares out migration with other states or tells us if these are "natives" who are leaving, or people who came here from somewhere else and are going home. Numbers bust the myth: There's no great exodus from California - The Orange County Register

Now if you disagree with me, then please provide some data to support your 'opinions'.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
I earn about 130k and if I subtract everything I pay to a government agency, I pay 63.4% of my income in taxes of some sort. I dont really have any deductions because my house is paid for but My property taxes are low too.
No one with a gross of 130k has pays $82,420 in tax

Old 04-08-2017, 12:20 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We have the highest state tax rate at 7.5% but we do not have the highest sales tax when you combine local sales tax with state sales tax:

"California has the highest state-level sales tax rate, at 7.25 percent.[2] Four states tie for the second-highest statewide rate, at 7 percent: Indiana, Mississippi, Rhode Island, and Tennessee. The five states with the highest average combined state-local sales tax rates are Tennessee (9.45 percent), Arkansas (9.26 percent), Alabama (8.91 percent), Louisiana (8.91 percent), and Washington (8.89 percent)."
https://taxfoundation.org/state-and-...rates-in-2017/

Strike 2, not even close to being right.
Worst states for speeding ticket fines: #5 is California

Most expensive states for speeding tickets: Virginia and Illinois have the most expensive speeding fines, with the maximum set at $2,500. Following that are Georgia and Nevada, with maximum fines at $2,000.
Strike 3 & 4 There are 6 states with higher utility rates and there is no "welfare add on"
The only source you bothered to provide for any of your claims doesn't support your premise that "Natives are leaving in droves" There is nothing in that article that compares out migration with other states or tells us if these are "natives" who are leaving, or people who came here from somewhere else and are going home. Numbers bust the myth: There's no great exodus from California - The Orange County Register

Now if you disagree with me, then please provide some data to support your 'opinions'.
I see you live "Over the Rainbow" - is that in California somewhere?

Our SALES TAX, not STATE TAX is what I was referring to at 9% until this year.

Combined Sales Tax Rate
8.75%

Sales Tax Jurisdiction Breakdown California: 6% Los Angeles County: 0.25% Los Angeles: 0% Special: 2.5%
http://www.taxrates.com/state-rates/...s/los-angeles/

Thank GOD they dropped it .25%... now I can afford my property taxes!

Remove strike 1

As for violations, you used only speeding tickets. I clearly said parking and moving violations.

Did you know that on top of all fines CA charges an additional 20% surcharge, PLUS
  • State Penalty Assessment
  • County Penalty Assessment
  • Court Facility Construction Penalty Assessment
  • DNA Identification Fund Penalty Assessment
  • Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Penalty Assessment
http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/tra...-penalties.php

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The cost of a traffic citation in Southern California and statewide has risen dramatically over the last decade, according to state records.
KNX 1070’s Jon Baird reports even common infractions such as running a red light can cost drivers around $500 or more with fees and penalties.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...calif-drivers/

You may not pay as much for the actual fine, but we pay surcharges up the a$$ which seems to be a unique usury of CA state. Bet you didn't know that either.

Add to that we are not a no fault state which means we insure each driver and not the car. Let's say a family of four have one car and both kids drive. We would pay for each driver. It isn't uncommon for a family of four, all good drivers, to pay $2000 a year even though only one person can drive at any given time.

On top of all the fines we are also the worst state for drivers
http://www.bankrate.com/auto/the-10-...vers/#slide=11
The nation’s largest state by population has some of the longest commutes in the country, the highest repair costs and very high annual fuel costs (which now just got higher!). Oh, and Californians need to be careful where they park — the state has the highest rate of car theft of any in the country, according to FBI crime statistics.

Strike 2 - gone

Cost of living, including property, goods, food, energy, taxes... we are the 4th most expensive state behind NY, HI, DE.

...you know what
I'm arguing with a person who obviously has no clue. You seem obsessed with defending that Californians are not overtaxed, which is simply insane.

Carry on.

Last edited by steven_h; 04-08-2017 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California