Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 01:43 PM

8 posts, read 7,026 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Humbolt County, probably the Arcata area. Outdoor exercise is extremely important to me. Where I currently live it is very windy (20mph+ with 30-50mph gusts), and instead of walking, hiking or snowshoeing every day, I'm lucky to get outside 2-3 times a week.

How much of the precipitation for Humbolt county is fog and how much is rain? Does it rain almost every day in autumn, winter and spring? Is the autumn through spring weather similar to Olympia WA or Sandpoint ID. I have no problems recreating in light to moderate rain if there's no wind.

Also, how windy is the area? Are there many days where the wind is calm?

Last, do the climate graphs for towns in Humboldt county on city-data.com reflect current weather patterns and temperatures? If not, what is different now? How hot are summer days?

Thanks,

onlinegem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 08:58 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,533,680 times
Average annual precipitation on the Humboldt coast is right around 40". Winter storms often have strong winds both preceding and during the storm and spring in California is generally a windy season throughout the state. We had a storm blow through here late last week with sustained winds in the 30-40 mph range and gusts in the 50-60 mph range so it can absolutely get windy here, but overall I don't find the wind here too bad. Then again I have a pretty high tolerance for wind because I too come from a windy place, but if the sun is shining I find the wind easy to ignore.

Ocean breezes are nearly a daily occurrence during summer and the wind during summer is generally stronger directly on the coast (eg right on the beach) but if you travel a very short distance inland it can be very pleasant.

True rain is essentially nonexistent during summer; for the most part any precipitation totals you see from June through August can be attributed almost exclusively to wet, drippy fog. The first good rain storm usually rolls around in late September and it ramps up from there. December, January, and February can all be extremely cloudy and wet with rainfall totals of 7-10" each month. By March the rain starts to wind down and by late May it basically stops altogether.

Most summer days start off foggy, get sunny by late morning/early afternoon, remain sunny for 4-6 hours, then by late afternoon/early evening the fog begins to roll back in and cool things down. Average summer temperatures are in the low to mid 60s; if it hits 70 we all start complaining about how hot it is

Overall I think it's a nice climate and very liveable; you just need solid rain gear so you can spend time outdoors in the winter otherwise you'll get cabin fever and go nuts

Old 04-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Thank you for such useful information. I will definitely be making some trips to explore. I will also be looked for a rental that allows a cat. In the summer, how far inland would I need to go to be in temperatures in the 80s?

Old 04-10-2017, 09:04 PM

285 posts, read 540,439 times
Default 80s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinegem View Post
Thank you for such useful information. I will definitely be making some trips to explore. I will also be looked for a rental that allows a cat. In the summer, how far inland would I need to go to be in temperatures in the 80s?
Do you mean occasionally 80 or more like everyday in the summer? Occasionally might be Blue Lake which is about 8 miles from Arcata. Everyday is more like Willow Creek which is 2 ridges from the ocean and 40 miles from Arcata over Hwy 299.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:50 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,533,680 times
Quote:
If you want consistent temperatures in the 80s during summer you need to be about 15-20 miles inland. Towns like Kneeland, Willow Creek, and south on 101 past Rio Dell to Garberville. Willow Creek is a quaint little town nestled in the mountains about 40 miles from the coast, and Garberville is a small river valley town again about 40 miles from the coast. Willow Creek is cut off from the coast from time to time in winter due to snow/landslides. Garberville sits along highway 101 so it doesn't suffer from access problems like that (generally). Most of Humboldt's population lives on or near the coast though, so if you're looking at Willow Creek/Garberville be prepared for slow, small town life to the extreme, and be prepared for the fact that the number 1 economic activity in these towns is cannabis cultivation.

I also hope you're bringing your job with you because good paying jobs in these small towns are non-existent.

Best of luck

Old 04-12-2017, 11:38 AM

Thank you again. Sounds like heading east for a hike a couple times a week would work well.

Interesting that cannabis is the number one economic activity. Are those towns politically and socially liberal?

Onlinegem

Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Are those towns politically and socially liberal?
Onlinegem
The Emerald Triangle in the State of Jefferson liberal? Is this a rhetorical question? lol

Actually the more rural inland you go the more conservative. Though it may be a different kind than you are familiar with. Here's a map of the last election for Donald Trump:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffer...sults_2016.svg

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California