Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 05:16 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times

Advertisements

A tax hike by any other name ... - LA Daily News

After years of reckless spending and special-interest pandering, officials in Sacramento now face their comeuppance in the form of a massive budget deficit. So they turn their focus to closing "loopholes."

But there's just one problem: The folks in Sacramento have a very different notion of what constitutes a "loophole" than do the rest of us.

The biggest "loophole" in California, according to state Legislative Analyst Elizabeth Hill and a panel of experts who met last week to discuss ways to bring in more money is ... the home-mortgage deduction.

Yes, that home-mortgage deduction. The one that makes the cost of living bearable for every condo-, bungalow-, or tract-dwelling family in the San Fernando Valley.

For many of us, the home-mortgage deduction is what makes Southern California homeownership affordable at all. But to the savvy minds in Sacramento, it's a giveaway - a crack in the system that you've been allowed to slip through for too long.

And closing that "loophole" would bring in almost $5 billion to Sacramento's coffers, which would go a long way toward fixing that self-inflicted budget deficit, which is (for the moment) pegged at $8 billion.

Sure, it might also drive the middle class clear out of the state, but that doesn't seem to bother the folks up north. They're more interested in balancing their books, not yours.

Some of the other "loopholes" are less controversial, but still problematic.
Advertisement

One suggestion is to eliminate business-tax credits for research and development - a $919 million savings, but at the potential cost of driving away the very jobs California most desperately needs. Another is to scrap enterprise zones, which cost taxpayers $454 million, but which many argue have done wonders to revitalize poorer communities.

It's fair to ask whether these policies achieve their intended goals, and whether they're worth the cost. But it's absurd for the very politicians who have long promoted them to suddenly suggest they are an unwarranted giveaway.

What's more, eliminating a long-standing tax deduction or credit is nothing less than a tax hike for the person or business that ends up paying a higher tax bill.

Officials in Sacramento should at least be honest. They're not seeking to close loopholes for a few, but to raise taxes on us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 05:46 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
um, the mortgage interest deduction is a federal tax deduction The day that disappears is the day every congressman loses his job.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
um, the mortgage interest deduction is a federal tax deduction The day that disappears is the day every congressman loses his job.
Yes, the interest would still be deductible for Federal purposes, but the state can adjust your income and add back the interest deduction and tax a higher amount than your Federal taxable income.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I understand this....but there are a lot of things that may be changing and perhaps soon. I don't think Canada has mortgage interest deduction (if that means anything). A lot of people are thinking the days of low taxes, low capital gains tax rates, and perhaps the mortgage interest deduction are at risk. Demographic trends (lots of old people), two big expensive wars, energy problems, increasing global competition....who knows? Ten years ago I would have never considered it; Now, five, ten years from now...wouldn't surprise me. For that matter Roth (after tax contributed) IRAs and 401(k)s become more attractive as taxes are paid at today's rates rather than the future's presumably higher tax rates.

They're already talking of tweaking the rules:

Mortgage Interest Deduction and Property Tax Deduction In Danger

mortgage interest rate » Honey, I Eliminated The Mortgage Interest Deduction - Plan 2 (http://mortgageinterestrateqds.blog.lenderratematch.com/2008/02/27/honey-i-eliminated-the-mortgage-interest-deduction-plan-2/ - broken link)

Last edited by Charles; 03-06-2008 at 09:02 PM..

Old 03-06-2008, 10:10 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times
State Senate President Don Peralta is spearheading the tax hikes. He held a press conference yesterday and said that California "does not have a spending problem."

"We have a revenue problem," he said.

Might make it more enticing to escape California, huh?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
State Senate President Don Peralta is spearheading the tax hikes. He held a press conference yesterday and said that California "does not have a spending problem."

"We have a revenue problem," he said.

Might make it more enticing to escape California, huh?
Kinda. I just have a white elephant to rid myself of first.

California's spending and politics aren't enough to drive me out on their own, but they don't help.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times
On top of reducing or eliminating the home mortgage interest deduction on the state level there is also talk of reducing the child credit from $294 to $94 and raising the car tax.

I think the clowns in Sacramento have forgotten that the car tax was the last straw before Gray Davis was recalled.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 PM

38 posts, read 140,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't think Canada has mortgage interest deduction (if that means anything).
Mortgage Interest Deduction and Property Tax Deduction In Danger

mortgage interest rate » Honey, I Eliminated The Mortgage Interest Deduction - Plan 2 (http://mortgageinterestrateqds.blog.lenderratematch.com/2008/02/27/honey-i-eliminated-the-mortgage-interest-deduction-plan-2/ - broken link)
Canada doesn't have a mortgage interest deduction. With the exception of Vancouver most of the cities have a majority homeowners versus renters.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningintherain View Post
Canada doesn't have a mortgage interest deduction. With the exception of Vancouver most of the cities have a majority homeowners versus renters.

Seems counterintuitive.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:38 AM

38 posts, read 140,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Seems counterintuitive.
A lot of people still want to own. There are certain provinces that have tax breaks for homeowners, however it is not federal. There is a federal tax incentive for homeowners that make their homes more energy efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California