Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:17 PM

25 posts, read 24,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
If you can find a home to rent in your price range in Carlsbad, grab it. It will be a very good choice for an extended stay for a family. It's very safe and family-friendly. There are nice restaurants and beaches there (Legoland is also there).

Carlsbad isn't exactly "just North of San Diego" or at least the places you're likely to want to visit in San Diego. You'll be about a 45 minute drive to the main tourist areas in the city of San Diego (i.e., Zoo, Balboa Park, Sea World), although it can take a little more time during rush hour. But, the location in Northern San Diego County also puts you within an easy drive to attractions in Orange County (Disneyland would be a bit over an hour's drive, a bit more during rush hour).

So, staying in Carlsbad will give you lots of options for day trips, or just hanging out in the local area.

You might find this website helpful if you'll be staying in San Diego County.

https://www.sandiego.org/

And, this page of the site will tell you more about North County Coastal San Diego, where Carlsbad is located:

https://www.sandiego.org/explore/coa...y-coastal.aspx

See also this page for Carlsbad-specific info: https://www.sandiego.org/articles/no...alifornia.aspx

And, the site also has a great overview of things to do with kids in the San Diego area: https://www.sandiego.org/plan/family-travel.aspx

Finally, check out the deals page on the site, which will help you get discounts for a lot of the attractions in the San Diego area:

https://www.sandiego.org/plan/offers.aspx

And, if you do stay in San Diego County, be sure to go to the San Diego sub-forum above and ask for suggestions there from locals on things to do with kids in San Diego! They'll tell you where the locals like to take their kids.

(P.S., if you want to be closer to San Diego and all of its tourist attractions than Carlsbad, then look for homes for rent in these family friendly areas within or next door to the city of San Diego: Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Point Loma, Coronado, University City, and La Jolla. La Mesa is a city that is a little inland but still close to downtown -- you may find some better rental deals there but will have to drive farther to the beach.

But, Carlsbad (and it's neighboring city Encinitas) is a good halfway point between Orange County and downtown San Diego, so a nice choice too! Just be aware that it will involve some driving back and forth if you want to spend a lot of time doing tourist things in San Diego itself.)

I'm assuming you've already looked into car rentals for your stay? A car will be a necessity in Carlsbad.
Thank you!!!! This is VERY useful. We haven't looked into car rental. Wondering about zipcars for occasional use as we are hoping to be by the beach etc hence we won't be doing trips every day. We don't have zipcars in Ireland, but sounds like a good concept. Thks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 07:49 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer007 View Post
Thank you!!!! This is VERY useful. We haven't looked into car rental. Wondering about zipcars for occasional use as we are hoping to be by the beach etc hence we won't be doing trips every day. We don't have zipcars in Ireland, but sounds like a good concept. Thks again.
Zipcars are a nice concept but with children in tow and staying in Carlsbad, I think you'd be better off with a dedicated rental car for several reasons:

1. I checked the zipcar website for San Diego (Car Sharing San Diego, CA - Find Car Share Locations | Zipcar) and it doesn't appear that there is a zip car station in Carlsbad. The closest one is in San Marcos (at Cal State San Marcos), so you'd need to pay for a taxi or uber to get you over there every time you wanted to use a zip car.

2. Carlsbad and the San Diego area in general are very spread out. Carlsbad is very suburban. You'll be very limited without a dedicated car -- it may be difficult to even get groceries.

3. Zip cars are probably going to work out to be more expensive on a per day basis. Zip car rentals cost $8.50 an hour, or $69 a day. You can rent a car for a week for about $130. If you are renting a car for a full month, you can often negotiate a lower rate, and then you have the car available at your doorstep. There are some inexpensive car rental places near the airport. Shop around and then compare the prices and hassle of relying on zipcar vs. a dedicated rental. Sometimes there are discounts for international drivers if you reserve through your country's local offices (i.e., budget, hertz, etc.).

3. Zip cars are usually tiny --- they may not work for a family.

4. You'll need transport to and from the airport. For a family, the cost of a shuttle from the airport to Carlsbad may be the close to the cost of a rental car for a week.

I think you and your family will enjoy your trip much more with a dedicated car at hand so you can really explore at your leisure and be free to hop in the car at any time to go out to dinner, to another beach, or to places beyond Carlsbad. Of course, you may feel differently -- no worries.

If you DO decide to opt for the zipcar idea, make sure to verify that an international driver's license and credit card can be used. I am not sure if that is the case so double check.

Last edited by RosieSD; 04-17-2017 at 07:57 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 12:48 AM

Thanks again RosieSd. You've been so helpful. Sounds like the car rental is indeed the way to go. Now just need to find a place to stay (our last place turned out to be unavailable due or dates :-().

Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer007 View Post
Thanks again RosieSd. You've been so helpful. Sounds like the car rental is indeed the way to go. Now just need to find a place to stay (our last place turned out to be unavailable due or dates :-().
Which sites are you using to look for vacation rentals? The two best ones are Vbro.com and airbnb.com. Homeaway.com is good too. I'd be cautious about Craigslist ads.

And, there are management companies who specialize in vacation rentals. Here are a couple that have listings around the Mission Beach area, which will put you closer to downtown San Diego:

All Mission Beach Vacation Rentals | Mission Beach Vacation Homes

San Diego Vacation Rentals | Pacific Beach | Mission Beach | Sail Bay | La Jolla | Ocean Beach | Beach Front | Ocean Front | Condos | Homes | Nancys Vacation Rentals

https://www.710beachrentals.com/miss...FUpNfgodqtME0w

The San Diego tourism site also has a list of other rental agencies here: https://www.sandiego.org/stay/vacation-rentals.aspx

Again, in addition to Carlsbad, I'd suggest looking for rentals in these beach areas:

Encinitas, La Jolla, Solana Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, Point Loma, Coronado. If you don't need to be right at the beach (will be cheaper that way), also try University City and La Mesa.

Also, if you're coming this summer, it might be hard to find a beach place that is available within your budget for a full month at this point. So, one thing you might consider is renting the place in Carlsbad for two weeks, then renting another place closer to downtown (in say Mission Beach or Coronado) or maybe a place in Orange County for another two weeks. Not ideal to move with the kids, I understand, but it will give you a chance to experience different areas.

Feel free to send me a personal message if you have any questions about San Diego or areas in San Diego County or things to do during your stay. I've lived in the San Diego area for over 30 years, and I've always been helped by kind irish folks on my many trips there.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Which sites are you using to look for vacation rentals? The two best ones are Vbro.com and airbnb.com. Homeaway.com is good too. I'd be cautious about Craigslist ads.

And, there are management companies who specialize in vacation rentals. Here are a couple that have listings around the Mission Beach area, which will put you closer to downtown San Diego:

All Mission Beach Vacation Rentals | Mission Beach Vacation Homes

San Diego Vacation Rentals | Pacific Beach | Mission Beach | Sail Bay | La Jolla | Ocean Beach | Beach Front | Ocean Front | Condos | Homes | Nancys Vacation Rentals

https://www.710beachrentals.com/miss...FUpNfgodqtME0w

The San Diego tourism site also has a list of other rental agencies here: https://www.sandiego.org/stay/vacation-rentals.aspx

Again, in addition to Carlsbad, I'd suggest looking for rentals in these beach areas:

Encinitas, La Jolla, Solana Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, Point Loma, Coronado. If you don't need to be right at the beach (will be cheaper that way), also try University City and La Mesa.

Also, if you're coming this summer, it might be hard to find a beach place that is available within your budget for a full month at this point. So, one thing you might consider is renting the place in Carlsbad for two weeks, then renting another place closer to downtown (in say Mission Beach or Coronado) or maybe a place in Orange County for another two weeks. Not ideal to move with the kids, I understand, but it will give you a chance to experience different areas.

Feel free to send me a personal message if you have any questions about San Diego or areas in San Diego County or things to do during your stay. I've lived in the San Diego area for over 30 years, and I've always been helped by kind irish folks on my many trips there.
Third time thanking you RosieSD..thanks!! Glad to hear you had a nice experience in Ireland . We actually booked a nice condo in Carmel Creeper Place, Encinitas. Sounds like a really nice town and we are 1 mile from the beach (Moonlight). We are all super excited to be back in the US. I done this trip 10 years ago, before kids. Now I have 3 young ones in tow!

Old 04-18-2017, 12:51 PM

thks also for the pm offer...i may take you up on it at some point.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:45 PM

After 10 days in Encinitas in delighted to report that it was a great great choice!! The whole family is living it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California