U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,259 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are moving 'back' (where she's from - TO area) to CA from Orlando. I'm excited about it and have spent plenty of time in CA, but never lived there. She'll continue to go to school and can go to almost any community college, while I'm really concerned about finding a job, ideally in environmental conservation and marine science/biology or aquaculture specifically. I have a good job now, but feel like it's time, while I'm only 27, to give it a shot. I've always wanted to live there since my first visit as a child and owe it to myself.

My question to all who know much more than I do about this part of the country is: of the three where would you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Status: "get me out of the central coast!" (set 11 days ago)

3,889 posts, read 6,384,704 times
San Luis Obispo is middle class city, Santa Barbara is a wealthy class city, and Ventura is a lower class city. Each city differs in shopping, entertainment, etc...

Old 03-07-2008, 01:18 AM

2,655 posts, read 7,321,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
San Luis Obispo is middle class city, Santa Barbara is a wealthy class city, and Ventura is a lower class city. Each city differs in shopping, entertainment, etc...
Holy moly that's a skeleton of a description, the city.

The OP is "really concerned about finding a job" and looking for work in "environmental conservation and marine science/biology or aquaculture." GF seeks a community college. Based on this, I'd count San Luis Obispo out flat. GF could find a college in SLO, but OP would have a hard time finding a job.

Santa Barbara City College is one of the top-rated community colleges in CA, and finding a job in marine science would be far more likely there or one of the other coastal towns, Ventura, Oxnard or Port Hueneme. Also the economy in those cities is more robust than SLO.

Housing cost in SB is high. If it's too high for the budget, consider Ventura County for living and commute on the bus for $2 one-way, Ventura County Transportation Commission - Ventura Intercity Service Transit Authority (VISTA) (http://www.goventura.org/home/index.asp?page=101 - broken link). Though Ventura city is less expensive than SB (what city isn't?) I'd hardly classify it as a "lower class city." For specifics on Ventura, search C-D. Plenty of good info on existing threads.

Also know that the deep-water Port of Hueneme in Oxnard is a major employer for those with maritime trade skills - Port of Hueneme :: Oxnard Harbor District.

The Environmental Defense Council might be a good place to start researching work opportunities in environmental conservation. The EDC has chapters in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties - The Environmental Defense Center.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:14 AM

35 posts, read 164,074 times
I currently live in and grew up in Ventura, lived in SLO for 6 years while in school, and spent a lot of time in SB and they are all quite different from each other, but all great. Although I certainly wouldn't call Ventura "lower class", it is obviously more affordable than the other two. As CRE8 said, SB or elsewhere in Ventura Co. would be the best bet for a maritime career. The SLO area really doesn't have much of a maritime economy, except for some commercial fishing out of Morro Bay.
Other than that, they all have their good points with a few downsides. I would really recommend spending a weekend in each if you can to get a real feel. For SLO, make sure you visit when Cal Poly is in session to make sure you get the full experience with all the college kids around...

Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 AM

370 posts, read 1,230,305 times
The first place I thought of for your line of work was Monterey, since with several marine-oriented colleges, the academy, and the aquarium there, there should be some opportunities for your line of work.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:29 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,961,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
The first place I thought of for your line of work was Monterey, since with several marine-oriented colleges, the academy, and the aquarium there, there should be some opportunities for your line of work.
I think grimstuff hit on a good point. California is an expensive state. You will be best served if you find a job first and then live near your job. Particularly where your girlfriend can attend any community college in the state. If you get a job in, say, Monterey...you won't want to live in SLO/SB/Ventura.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:14 PM

370 posts, read 1,230,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I think grimstuff hit on a good point. California is an expensive state. You will be best served if you find a job first and then live near your job. Particularly where your girlfriend can attend any community college in the state. If you get a job in, say, Monterey...you won't want to live in SLO/SB/Ventura.
Goozer's right, as well. There are dozens of community colleges all over California. See this list:
College Listings - Regional
And here's a map of them:
http://www.cccco.edu/LinkClick.aspx?...d=829&mid=2528

Most likely, wherever you can find a job she will have a college available to her. Of course, this depends on what she's going to school for. If, however, it's for general education, she can do that at any community college, and probably for free. I would focus on a job first.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Status: "get me out of the central coast!" (set 11 days ago)

3,889 posts, read 6,384,704 times
Ventura is lower class, it's nextdoor to Oxnard, it has the Avenues gang, tons of big-box retailers, tons of traffic, lots of graffiti, etc...

Old 03-07-2008, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 9,259 times
Thanks to everyone for their responses...with links to boot!

seriously, this is a great site and any more advice on the job market out there is especially appreciated and absorbed

Old 03-08-2008, 10:29 AM

130 posts, read 366,141 times
considering she is still going to school and u are looking for a job, imo, u should pick a place that has both the junior college (sb city college) and college (ucsb) as well as the best chance to find a job. and imo, the best place between the three would easily be santa barbara. forget about raising a family or finding an affordable place to live, imo, that should be like the next phase in your life. for now, chill in sb, let her get/continue her education, while u get/gain experience in your line of work. finding a descent paying job is alot more difficult job in slo compared to sb. besides, there are other communities near sb that you can find a job (goleta/carpenteria/ventura), however there is that commute on 101 , but that is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California