Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:30 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_trackstar View Post
Currently live in Lake Oswego OR. I'm about ready to leave OR, in large part because of the weather, but also because this particular town is so unbelievable snobby.
When people generalize about entire towns/cities, it's usually due to their own misperceptions or they're externalizing their own inner feelings onto the town.

Lake Oswego is a beautiful town with very polite people, I went there quite a few times when I lived a few miles to the south in Wilsonville for two years. I use to go there often because I liked their little downtown area. I never encountered snobby people when I was there.

Quote:
Why are they leaving CA, a place that seems so wonderful? CA is a clear winner on weather. Is it strictly the cost?
CA has the highest state tax rates of all 50 states, and certain parts of CA are plagued with over-population, suburban sprawl, high crime, and insane traffic gridlock.

Quote:
Californians have a terrible reputation here in OR.
So if Oregonians find out you're from California, do they organize a lynch mob and drag you down the street to be tarred & feathered?

Quote:
I get that CA is a big place and it largely depends on where in CA we are talking. Personally, I can't do LA or SF - those are not my "people." We are thinking Temecula or Granite Bay - nice weather, reasonable cost of living, good schools/parks, reasonable (1-2 hour) access to amenities like big city sports and culture, beaches, and mountains. Anyplace else I should consider?
It ultimately depends on your yearly income & financial situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 08:21 PM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
I think this is a wonderful idea. I left Oregon for California, and I'm so glad I did. Oregon is nice, but California is better than anywhere else in the nation!

Old 04-23-2017, 06:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I think this is a wonderful idea. I left Oregon for California, and I'm so glad I did. Oregon is nice, but California is better than anywhere else in the nation!
If you have money.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:57 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
Currently live in Lake Oswego OR. I'm about ready to leave OR, in large part because of the weather, but also because this particular town is so unbelievable snobby.

So, there are many CA ex-pats here, and native Portlanders love to hate them. Here is an interesting OR gov't report on the migration. https://oregoneconomicanalysis.com/2...-californians/

Why are they leaving CA, a place that seems so wonderful? CA is a clear winner on weather. Is it strictly the cost?

If one of the goals in leaving OR is to find a friendlier, more easy-going and family friendly place to live, am I crazy for thinking CA? Californians have a terrible reputation here in OR. I get that CA is a big place and it largely depends on where in CA we are talking. Personally, I can't do LA or SF - those are not my "people." We are thinking Temecula or Granite Bay - nice weather, reasonable cost of living, good schools/parks, reasonable (1-2 hour) access to amenities like big city sports and culture, beaches, and mountains. Anyplace else I should consider?
visit. I am blown away by the City data forum members snobbery on the Oregon platform.

the "transplant" hate specifically--

heres one of my favorite posts from the east bay forum in CA
(I was an SF er, and stereotypes aside, it really isnt what you think it is , theres just a lot of hype, and yes too expensive for the newcomer, but thats not what we were, but I dont think we were "snobs " about it...our family broke up and we moved)

Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
^^^ Yep... I'm in a neighborhood where 80 is young... and no, I don't live in a retirement community!

My neighbors all bought lots in the 1950's and built their homes and never left.

In the last few years it looked like this...

Across the street to the right 102, directly across 97, next to them 84 and 82 couple next to them 99.

My neighbor to the right is 97 and next to him 82... all widows/widowers except for the 82/84 couple and a 89/91 couple... African American, Native American, Chinese, Japanese, old time Utah Mormon couple... etc...

Oakland is truly a very diverse city and many that came and settled did so for life.

Rather than begrudge them for low taxes, I celebrate them... I'm just under 11k and they average around 3k... nothing wrong with that and I chose to buy there and Prop 13 offers me the same protections as they enjoy... only hope I make it to a robust 100 like they have...

The 102 year old was born on a ranch in Nevada and began teaching school in a one room school house at age 16... she taught for over 50 years in Nevada and was the first person in the county to have a car... she won a Statewide contest to sell the most newspaper subscription over a year period... she was 12 and her prize was a brand new Model T and I've seen the newspaper clippings to prove it.

Affording a home is a two part question...

There is the buying and then the keeping.

A young couple I've posted about were high school sweethearts... both the first in their family to attend college... her family is from the Philippines and he is African American... at age 24 they bought their own single family home in San Leandro California... she is a registered nurse and he is a police officer...

Their first year working made over 200k income and remember at age 24... great benefits too... no silver spoon or family money... just hard work."

Just your typical honest to good ness bay area person.

I meant to say, come visit - check out different areas (I like bay area, northern coastal climates myself its more like Oregon) the inclusiveness was really nice in CA, I didnt feel there were people judging you because of where you where from.

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 04-23-2017 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
My friend moved to Portland and was surprised how expensive everything was. With the extreme dampness and downtown Portland overrun by homeless teenagers he could wait to return to So Cal.

Sounds like Eugene too. Funny how the most leftist parts of the state are overrun with homeless, drugged out young people.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:04 AM

119 posts, read 156,206 times
Lived in Oregon for 38 years and moved to California a couple of years ago. Love So Cal. Yes it's expensive for a good reason. Oregon is cold, dark and depressing for 7 or 8 months per year. Can't take it. Wouldn't live there again for free.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:50 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,198 times
Oregon is great. I love the weather. The taxes, not so much.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:56 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
Lived in Oregon for 38 years and moved to California a couple of years ago. Love So Cal. Yes it's expensive for a good reason. Oregon is cold, dark and depressing for 7 or 8 months per year. Can't take it. Wouldn't live there again for free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Oregon is great. I love the weather. The taxes, not so much.
This is the perfect example of the fact that one size will never fit all, period! Oregon can be the best place and the worst place all at once depending on whether it fits one's preferences, lifestyle, goals, etc... And guess what? California and every other place is the same way. Surprise! Some people love the warm dry heat of the desert while others prefer a cooler, sometimes foggy coast. And still others live for the mountain high experience or living out on the prairie.

So in answer to the original question, no, you are not crazy. If CA better suits your lifestyle then it makes perfect sense for you, not Joe PNW lover, midwest Jane, Texas George, et al. Its really about quality of life and that varies for each individual. I find it so funny on CD when two opposing sides can't comprehend not everyone thinks like they do. Remember different strokes for different folks. Its really that simple.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-24-2017 at 11:04 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 01:34 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I think you're smoking something. Western Oregon weather isn't that bad. If you're looking for somewhere less snobby, there are plenty of places within a few miles of Lake Oswego.

A lot of people are leaving CA because they're getting taxed up the wazoo and they can get a McMansion elsewhere for what their 2 BR shack in California is worth. Factor in the traffic, all the people, and that a lot of middle-class whites just don't feel at home there anymore, and you get to seeing why they're leaving.

You mean the scared, paranoid whites who watch Fox News and listen to conservative talk radio?

Old 04-25-2017, 02:08 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This is the perfect example of the fact that one size will never fit all, period! Oregon can be the best place and the worst place all at once depending on whether it fits one's preferences, lifestyle, goals, etc... And guess what? California and every other place is the same way. Surprise! Some people love the warm dry heat of the desert while others prefer a cooler, sometimes foggy coast. And still others live for the mountain high experience or living out on the prairie.

So in answer to the original question, no, you are not crazy. If CA better suits your lifestyle then it makes perfect sense for you, not Joe PNW lover, midwest Jane, Texas George, et al. Its really about quality of life and that varies for each individual. I find it so funny on CD when two opposing sides can't comprehend not everyone thinks like they do. Remember different strokes for different folks. Its really that simple.

Derek

At last! A sane answer on the never-ending PNW-vs-California CityData battle! Thank you, lord, for the sensible people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California