Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 01:39 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Even if you got a 100k job in Silicon Valley, you'd still be living in a van.
I earn a bit less than that, so lemme check... nope, I'm not living in a van down by the river! In fact I have a very nice little duplex in a great neighborhood, with my own backyard and everything. Anyone who can't afford a 1-bedroom place (assuming single folks like me) on $100K/year needs to re-evaluate their spending habits. Or keep looking, because I assure you there are cheaper places than those $3500/mo luxury high-rises.

I pay $2100/mo including utilities + unlimited laundry for $200/year, and moved into my place less than two years ago! So when people say they can't find anything for less than $3000-4000, I assume they're not looking very hard (or have unreasonable standards). No, you do NOT need stainless steel appliances and granite counter-tops. As long as everything works, you'll just have to make do with tiles and a white stove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
If you were making $100k, you'd be 21 years old and living in a van wouldn't be that big a deal.
What kind of logic is that? I think people forget that "living in Silicon Valley" doesn't always = works in tech. Tons of us here are NOT in high-tech jobs, and are happy to be making even close to $100K @ older ages! I'll be 42 next month, and don't expect to crack six figures ever. Which is fine, because I didn't exactly choose my profession for the money. But your comment feels a bit condescending, like there's something wrong with being over 21 and still earning that salary. We should all be so lucky, in reality.

P.S. I just noticed your screenname; definitely seems to fit, but at least you're honest about it. LOL

Old 09-05-2018, 02:21 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I earn a bit less than that, so lemme check... nope, I'm not living in a van down by the river! In fact I have a very nice little duplex in a great neighborhood, with my own backyard and everything. Anyone who can't afford a 1-bedroom place (assuming single folks like me) on $100K/year needs to re-evaluate their spending habits. Or keep looking, because I assure you there are cheaper places than those $3500/mo luxury high-rises.

I pay $2100/mo including utilities + unlimited laundry for $200/year, and moved into my place less than two years ago! So when people say they can't find anything for less than $3000-4000, I assume they're not looking very hard (or have unreasonable standards). No, you do NOT need stainless steel appliances and granite counter-tops. As long as everything works, you'll just have to make do with tiles and a white stove.
So I doesn't bother you that for 2100 a month you could be in a huge bought house or very nice condo in a tower in another state or even another city in CA? Investing your income for retirement and the tax write off. Knowing you will never be able to buy anything in SF? If your fine with that ok but don't think you'll be able to retire in CA.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
So I doesn't bother you that for 2100 a month you could be in a huge bought house or very nice condo in a tower in another state or even another city in CA? Investing your income for retirement and the tax write off. Knowing you will never be able to buy anything in SF? If your fine with that ok but don't think you'll be able to retire in CA.
No, it doesn't bother me that much - considering I'd be making about HALF the salary anywhere else! I was actually offered a job in Oregon recently, and after doing the math, realized I'd be in even worse shape there. Not to mention, leaving behind my friends/family and the place I've called home for over 35 years. And home ownership is nice, but not a priority for everyone... I like being able to move whenever I want, not worrying about maintenance or property taxes, etc. As for retirement, I'm already vested in CalPERS + I'll be getting a sizable inheritance. So I'm not too worried, and you can't assume anything without knowing someone's full situation.

That being said, even if/when I can afford to retire here I probably won't. It's fine for now, but I see myself retiring somewhere quieter and with more natural beauty. Probably Oregon or western Washington, where I can buy a place with enough land for (more) animals. Lots of them!

Old 09-05-2018, 02:42 PM

Oh, and I don't live in San Francisco anymore... I did live there for about 5 years, but the rest of my time in the Bay has been on the Peninsula or South Bay. So it's a LITTLE less expensive than the city, lol.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
It's no different than anywhere else in the country. Get a good education, work hard, save your money, don't buy depreciating assets (new cars) all the time. Nobody seems to have the patience to do that, always looking for the quick buck.

It's a formula that works ANYWHERE you go.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:54 PM

190 posts, read 844,457 times
I suspect many homeowners in California just barely get by or can't even afford their home. This Zillow screenshot for San Ramon, where my brother in law lives is very telling. The red dots are houses for sale and the blue dots are foreclosures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 1.png
Views:	262
Size:	976.3 KB
ID:	202093

Old 09-05-2018, 10:30 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
I suspect many homeowners in California just barely get by or can't even afford their home. This Zillow screenshot for San Ramon, where my brother in law lives is very telling. The red dots are houses for sale and the blue dots are foreclosures.

Attachment 202093
And how many houses are there in San Ramon? What percentage of the total houses is that? How does that compare to other areas?

Old 09-07-2018, 01:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
"How do people in CA could afford housing?"

Well, we just sell a few shares of Apple or Google stock. You didn't know that these companies gave away several thousand free shares to CA residents way back when? You shoul have moved here 10 years ago!

Old 09-08-2018, 06:50 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I love how someone who doesn't live here is telling us how it is... what's the location equivalent of "mansplaining?" "Non-residentsplaining?"

FACT is that most professionals here (meaning the major metros like SF, SJ, and LA) earn around or over $100K - yes, even at the start of their careers.

Here in the Bay Area, only lower-skilled jobs pay less than $80-100K.
This is all news to me. Only people I know who made that much out of college are engineers.
But who knows, maybe my industry needs to start pushing for higher rates and salaries. I only hit 6 figs when I reach "senior" or "director" level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California