Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:15 PM

51 posts, read 75,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Less the part about him being Irish then more about him being Northeastern and having really bad impressions of Southerners. Don't even get him started on FL!
Yes, but he said the REASON that those from Northeast hate the south is BECAUSE they are Irish (Catholic obviously implied) and hate on Southern Protestants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
He's Irish-American and grew up in the New York City area. Generally speaking, Irish-Americans, in particular those from the Northeast, hate the South because the South is mostly Protestant, British-descended, Republican and non-unionized.
Read the post again. And as I said, use some of that critical reasoning I was talking about.

I'm sorry, but 21st century America is not England during the Glorious Revolution, Ireland on Bloody Sunday, or France during Bartholomew's massacre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 04:19 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdeen View Post
Yes, but he said the REASON that those from Northeast hate the south is BECAUSE they are Irish (Catholic obviously implied) and hate on Southern Protestants.

Read the post again. And as I said, use some of that critical reasoning I was talking about.

I'm sorry, but 21st century America is not England during the Glorious Revolution, Ireland on Bloody Sunday, or France during Bartholomew's massacre.
I wouldn't put it past someone even though I get your point. My Italian catholic college roomie from Rhode Island had similar impressions. I don't count ethnicity but I do count religious and political biases people might have of the South.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't put it past someone even though I get your point. My Italian catholic college roomie from Rhode Island had similar impressions. I don't count ethnicity but I do count religious and political biases people might have of the South.
What were your roommate's impressions? Of who/what?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
What were your roommate's impressions? Of who/what?
What do you think? I'm very, very sure you already know considering the media narrative about Texas and the South in general. If you mean his religious impression, it was very all around catholic and also extends to Catholics in the south; that Protestantism = fundamentalism. That there's no order so you'll end up handling snakes. LOL.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:39 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Prop 57 is undergoing regulatory review. Some aspects of it like increases in credits for obtaining a degree or getting certification in a vocational program were enacted on an emergency basis at the end of March. The other aspects will be phased in over time assuming that the regulations are adopted.
At least they're trying to utilize Prop 57 for the benefit of society as a whole.

"Through Proposition 57, state officials want to increase prisoner enrollment in work, education and rehabilitation initiatives by expanding the amount and types of credits inmates can earn for time served toward their sentences."

'I took someone’s life — now I am giving back': In California's prisons, inmates teach each other how to start over: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...htmlstory.html

Old 04-25-2017, 05:24 PM

600 posts, read 566,717 times
Quote:
Why did this have to turn into a Red vs Blue thing? It's where crime has risen, not which area has the most crime.

I think the most pathetic thing Californians have done is peg their state identity to liberalism/progressvism so much that they can only think in terms of left vs right. So that if there is any fault in the state, it's pushed away in favor of pointing the finger at red states instead. Rising crime is no joke. If the "agenda" is to make CA look bad, fine. It does reflect bad on CA, but the fact that you went straight into making this a left/right thing, shows that you are way more ideologically motivated because you ignore the crime stats.

Stop tying CA to liberalism and stop defending liberalism just to not give one drop of credence to the right wing. Debate the stats, but also find solutions.
I'm not. I just posted a link of the most Crime Ridden states. And it just happens to be all red states. I didn't make that data up. lol

Old 04-25-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
I'm not. I just posted a link of the most Crime Ridden states. And it just happens to be all red states. I didn't make that data up. lol
Yes, but the OP's post is about rising crime. I don't get how other states faring far worst overall takes away from the fact that many cities in CA are seeing spikes in crime. It doesn't mean CA is worst off than the red states just that something isn't right. I don't get what you're trying to do by posting your list. Both lists can be right, no? How does yours take away from the one the OP posted?

Old 04-25-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, but the OP's post is about rising crime. I don't get how other states faring far worst overall takes away from the fact that many cities in CA are seeing spikes in crime. It doesn't mean CA is worst off than the red states just that something isn't right. I don't get what you're trying to do by posting your list. Both lists can be right, no? How does yours take away from the one the OP posted?
I'm just gunna say that the first couple of cities on the OP's list had increases of something like 1% over 5 years. Who cares?

The only city that is at all an interesting situation is San Francisco. Rents and property values are skyrocketing and yet crime is increasing. I would like to see an explanation for that.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I'm just gunna say that the first couple of cities on the OP's list had increases of something like 1% over 5 years. Who cares?

The only city that is at all an interesting situation is San Francisco. Rents and property values are skyrocketing and yet crime is increasing. I would like to see an explanation for that.
And LA which has seen an uptick. I'm not trying to make the OPs case if his intent was to smear CA, but the talk of increased crime especially from the historic lows the cities have touted is worth talking about.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:15 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
There is a reasonable study that looked at the impact of inmpate release due to 47 and crime in all 60 counties for the first half of 2015 as compared to the first half of 2014. There is no correlation.

Crime is up including some sharp increases in specific crimes in a number of large cities including my own Las Vegas. But we still have no good explanation. Clearly not 47 which did not occur here. And it did not happen in all big cities. So an observation so far with no good explanation.

But it does not appear to be a CA only problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California